Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Another 3.8 Mivec swap... More fab! Less parts!

117K views 486 replies 65 participants last post by  billyfrancis40 
#1 ·
I guess My fender flare thread wasn't enough to stir the hornets nest... So to really introduce myself, I'm gonna stuff a 3.8 mivec into the stealth.

I was drinking one night thinking about my first girlfriend back in Jr High school.... Then I grew a wild hair up the butt and said, I'm doing the 75 Full Mivec Engine swap. That ends that love story.

It has been done many ways already and I'll be doing this my way. This time around. I'll post up pics of progress as I go along just like the fender flare thread. I know I'm pushing some kind of limit here but it should be interesting to be 4th or 5th known to have done this swap. So far, its Been Itallo, Bdranck, and MichealMR2 that are known to be running Mivecs.

Unicorn engine aquired.

See less See more
#156 ·
Thanks for joining in on the fun!, BTW guys I'm still working on it. Work and refinishing the floors have taken up a majority of my time.

I will say though, I've managed to make my standard size FIC 1150cc injectors fit with some creative machining. I'll up load moar pics soon!

#163 ·
what in the hell have you guys been up to while i've been gone :) The engine is now in the car so I can mock up manifolds and braces where they need to be.

Updates are as follows:

Oil pan has been removed to make my clearances for the transfer case, In the pics you will see where i removed material. The 3.5 Debonair Oil pan in comparison is much easier to work with in my opinion since it already allows for the exhaust to go under the oil pan. While with the Mivec in its current orientation, won't allow me to do that very easily. It can be done, but not easily.

The motor is a 4 bolt none the less, and I might as well throw a 120k on it for safe measures before I really put it together.

We're getting there gents!

#164 ·
the pistons have coated skirts, not a single scratch on the cylinder walls at all. I'm very impressed so far. I'll snap more pics of the t-case clearance shennanigans when I have a bit more time.

#165 ·
can i buy this motor off you when your done makeing it work? :)

#166 ·
I see you are playing around with exhaust manifolds. Which way are you going to go? Were you able to get the 72 manifolds to adapt without welding them to the factory 75 flanges? Also looks like you have hood clearance issues. How many inches are you off?

BTW keeping the TB on the drivers side?

#169 ·
Couple questions out of curiosity for ya:

Are you saying you're going to be modifying the mivec pan or putting on a tt pan? (are they interchangeable?)

Are those 350z headers?

What turbo setup did you finalize on? I forgot

Are those 72 engine mounts? Same location for the mivec?

#172 ·
Yes, worse than 6g74. Neither of which like boosted tq. Need to be upgraded. 74 rods are the same length IIRC, so there are options.

#173 ·
The rods definitely are a downer. And I figured I might as well replace them soon before the project is too far to go along.

I also am going the Single turbo route for the sake of simplicity. The turbo as of now is Top secret lol some of you that have lived long enough to survive ABBA and the Bee Gees may recognize the turbo when I post pics of it :) So now the T3 manifolds and T3/T4 turbos are up for sale to fund the build.

#175 · (Edited)
So It's been a while since any major up dates.

The engine is now in the car for measurements and Mock-up on turbos and exhaust.
Sadly it has has to come out again because My oil pan clearancing for the T-Case wasn't enough... I have more material to take off. But the turbos are on!

Pics! since they are worth more than words lol.

350Z manifolds with 6G75 flanges and V-band outlets - I braced the rear pretty well.

Rear Manifold clearance... Thank god for Solid mounts and thermal wrap/coating.

Looks like a Inboard Boat motor lol

The next batch is where I stopped for now.

I think it looks pretty mean so far.

It's gonna be awhile before she's breathing again but it's slowly getting there. Life always gets in the way.

#180 ·
that's awesome! looks Hella Mean!
I thought i read the entire thread, but maybe i missed it. Did you fab up those 350z headers to 6g75 flanges yourself? those and the twins look sweet next to the mivec valve covers!

anyways, good work so far. hope you do stuff some better rods in it, after all that effort, would suck to window the block!

#181 ·
Thats just straight up bad ass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.