Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Another 3.8 Mivec swap... More fab! Less parts!

117K views 486 replies 65 participants last post by  billyfrancis40 
#1 ·
I guess My fender flare thread wasn't enough to stir the hornets nest... So to really introduce myself, I'm gonna stuff a 3.8 mivec into the stealth.

I was drinking one night thinking about my first girlfriend back in Jr High school.... Then I grew a wild hair up the butt and said, I'm doing the 75 Full Mivec Engine swap. That ends that love story.

It has been done many ways already and I'll be doing this my way. This time around. I'll post up pics of progress as I go along just like the fender flare thread. I know I'm pushing some kind of limit here but it should be interesting to be 4th or 5th known to have done this swap. So far, its Been Itallo, Bdranck, and MichealMR2 that are known to be running Mivecs.

Unicorn engine aquired.

See less See more
#125 ·
Off topic... But I just woke up from an awesome nap. I had an awesome dream too. Lol it was like wheeler dealers but with Ray P wielding nunchucks and the tall dude from wheeler dealers riding a llama. I should stop drinking hospital coffee.

#126 ·
Keep it up man. Looking forward to seeing the first startup.

#127 · (Edited)
Are those turbos old? Not that big into Garretts. I know my Conquest came with one that was falling apart that needed a re-build badly and it was a 60-1 too.... Hm, shoulda kept it instead of gettin a HX35. But anyway....YOUR SHIET IS MANLY AS FAUQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really interested in seeing how this does compared to a stroked 74 (my current pipe dream). Both would be a 3.8 and the MIVEC vs DOHC will be interesting to see IMO. Thanks for the update.

Side note, random dreams like that are the shit. I had one that my girlfriend was training me to be a ninja to take down her familys immortal rival a few weeks ago. Joys of sleepin wit an asian :lol:

#128 ·
Alright, the snails have arrived. I'm wrong on the specs of them. I had to fully inspect the comp ind/exd and turbine ind/exd to be sure.

They turn out to Be T3 60 trims...
.42 A/R cold
.48 A/R hot

it should match up really well with the 3.8, I should have a fairly usable powerband with this setup even at modest boost levels.

#129 ·
Big thanks to ga94VR4 for her contribution to the Mivec Swap!

If any one else would like to donate lol feel free to. All forms of beer will be entertained, Sock cash and boobie cash will be frowned upon. I don't wanna touch your sweaty money lol

#132 ·
I take back everything I said about a 3.8 MIVEC not fitting if you can pull this off. I've been wanting to adapt the MIVEC heads to the 3.5L for a while now but I would actually be more interested in selling my 3.5L long block and getting a 3.8 for my car.

Excellent project! Hope your mom is doing much better.

You have my support and ideas from here on out.

-(King) Julian

#134 ·
Thanks for the support, My mother is doing well now. I also appreciate any and all exchange of ideas, concepts, and methods. It just helps every body out in the end.

#135 ·
Bag-O-Chips said:
I'm still waiting for that beer money lol
No disrespect meant to your very nice work, but I probably should have used the words 'bolt on'. Not a lot of people have the skills or equipment to cut and braze/weld a setup like you did. Every other 75 swap has used a cut and weld setup.

That's why I liked the idea of the Diamante manifold and the extended upper hose better.

#136 ·
None taken man, to each their own. I'm not exactly writing the definitive method on how to swap in the 3.8 mivec. Who know's, somewhere someone else is doing the same thing I'm doing but in a totally different way. I really do appreciate the support.

As for updates, I've put the project on a slight hold trying to help get my mother back up to speed. I've also went on a tangent with the turbos, I'll be mounting them above the transmission to minimize the piping length on the intercooler side of things. The manifolds I'm waiting for in the mail are Cast iron so they will support the heat and stress for the bang for the buck factor and also very easy to source. Did I mention Direct Bolt-on ? Mitsubishi parts are like Lego's to me lol I have an old copy of CAPS from 2006 and below, it's been saving a lot of time on finding what parts work from numerous cars.

#140 ·
Interesting turbo. Can't find much about that Garrett model. You have wheel specs and a compressor map?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#142 ·
Thats good stuff!!! Thanks for contributing to the Unicorn swap! Stacking dimes and looking good!

#145 ·
With out knowing more info on that turbo, it could be a shot in the dark if that Turbo will even spool

#148 ·
Updates fellas!

I've been talking to Robert from Road Race engineering regarding my build. Every bit of advice he has given me has been very beneficial. They have successfull turbocharged a 3.8 Mivec in moderately stock form in their 4th Gen eclipse track car. I've decided to stick to twins for the streetability factor. But due to space constraints I've deviated from the stock locations off the heads. Instead I've chosen to relocate the turbos over the transmission.

The guys at Club4G.org have been more than generous as to lead me the right way also. The engine is now equipped with 3G eclipse cast exhaust manifolds which will act as the base for which i'll be making extensions going to the turbos.

the rear manifold already faces the correct way allowing clearance for a decent sized down pipe.

The Front comes way too close to the Alternator but I think I can get away with wrapping or ceramic coating the manifolds and not kill the alternator... HOPEFULLY.

these manifolds ave pretty large runners, I was surprised when I compared them to the 72 parts. The 3G manifolds are also similar to the 4G manifolds.

The flanges and Schedule 10 304L have been ordered also. I debated to get the 316 Schedule 10 tube but I didnt see it being cost effective, Maybe if the car lived at 5000+ rpm all the time I would have.

Stay tuned guys!

#150 ·
Yeah pretty much extension housings are going to be made. The the twins will sit over the transmission. I'll be ordering fire sleeves for the harness's and shifter cables as well. I may just make a heat shield to go under the turbos too. THe Turbine housings are already ceramic coated so the majority of the work will be Thermal management.

Any one with an arc/Mig welder of some sort can make extensions for relocated turbos. I've seen Bird poo looking weld jobbies that work faily well. I just don't like bird poo looking welds, I chose to Tig Everything unless its over an inch thick. Root Pass then Stringer passes are time consuming.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.