Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Another 3.8 Mivec swap... More fab! Less parts!

117K views 486 replies 65 participants last post by  billyfrancis40 
#1 ·
I guess My fender flare thread wasn't enough to stir the hornets nest... So to really introduce myself, I'm gonna stuff a 3.8 mivec into the stealth.

I was drinking one night thinking about my first girlfriend back in Jr High school.... Then I grew a wild hair up the butt and said, I'm doing the 75 Full Mivec Engine swap. That ends that love story.

It has been done many ways already and I'll be doing this my way. This time around. I'll post up pics of progress as I go along just like the fender flare thread. I know I'm pushing some kind of limit here but it should be interesting to be 4th or 5th known to have done this swap. So far, its Been Itallo, Bdranck, and MichealMR2 that are known to be running Mivecs.

Unicorn engine aquired.

See less See more
#97 ·
Lets try to keep this thread 6g75M specific as to minimize confusion. So far the bare minimum has been utilized to get it to work. All the parts that were used so far were strictly from a 1G 6g72 dohc and 6g75m sohc. there are no 6G74 parts of any variant has been used thus far.

So on to the updates... FOOKING TIG welder is acting up. Miller Dynasty...= Miller Die-Nasty.

I was forced to resort to the lost black-art of brazing. I don't mind busting out the Oxy-Acetylene ever. And I highly doubt the pressures in the coolant housing or filler neck will ever exceed 10,000 psi or 1000*f.

The filler neck was the first to get brazed. It looks like turd since its been a while since the last time I brazed anything. IIRC the last time I brazed aluminum was a pinhole leak on an 8 year old Fluidyne radiator for a 68 Camaro... 8 years ago...

You guys can now see the Picaso skills at drawing on parts.

The Block-Off plate was way easier after I got my mojo back.

#99 ·
I'll still be running coolant to the Turbo(s) I'm still debating the Single or twin issue. I currently have MHI Evo3's with the JPDC adapter plate kit. If I can find a good deal on a Garrett GT40, Holset HX50, or Borg S366 I'll go single.

As far as The coolant ports for turbos, I'll in weld/braze some M16 bungs. It's not as tough or complicated as some make it out to be.

I still have a to do list:

Clearance oil pan for T-case
Make relolcation plate for Oil filter housing
Make/Mod front roll stop/motor mount
Make/Mod rear roll stop/motor mount
Mod 1G CAS or transfer 2G CAS/CPS equipment.

I got a long way to go.

#100 ·
Because I'm bored... Here's a quick product review.

White Diamond Metal Polish.

What started off as a dingy oxidized plate of Aluminum brazed on to dingy Cast aluminum... Looks very presentable. I highly recommend it for you folks that are sticklers for shiny things.

The Aluminum Brazed fillets also cleaned up nicely!

#102 ·
Do you have machined lips with a clear coat? The metal polish itself is pretty resistant to re-oxidation. The newest formula has sealer in the mix.

#103 ·
That mirror on your coolant manifold will be quite the conversation starter :D

Funny how many JPDC kits are still out there. Great work so far!

#104 ·
Thanks Adam!

Updates are as follows, I already talked about the process so I won't bore you with them again.

Coolant housing 95% done. Now to add Fittings for the Heat hoses, TB coolant, and Turbo coolant :)

That wasnt so bad now was it?.

#107 ·
give this stuff a try. I clean the inside of my muffler tip with it and carbon stays off for weeks

#108 ·
Sorry for the lackof updates fellas, My mother was admitted into the ER last night due to a major Heart attack with 90% blockage of a major artery. Luckily it was caught and surgery was performed right away. I could have lost my mother last night.

Here's a teaser of more things to come.

This is just a mock up... the Evo3 16G's have found a new home and 2 bigger American snails are on there way.

#110 ·
From all the measurements and options, I can either re-flange the manifolds or make adapter flanges. Either way it will be a bolt on affair.

#113 ·
Thanks for the support, It's gonna be a while before I finish this project but the to-do list is shrinking. All that is left now is

-Clearance Oil pan
-Add -10AN fittings for turbo oil returns
-Fab oil filter relocation plate
-Add wires to ECU for Mivec
-Buy/Trade/Sell injectors for correct length (standard size denso, delphi, lucas, nikki, bosch) are too long. I need the newer style shorties like EV14's
-Write a new Base Map for AEM

and thats it.

#115 ·
Yeah that was figure out a while ago, the rear 72 Roll stop mount has been modded to fit. 3 out of 4 bolt locations lined up and some holes had to be re-sized to 12mm. The Front roll stop is going to be a fabricated peice since only 1 hole exisist there. its gonna be an engineered fix lol. The Idler shaft for the transmission bolts right up! it doesn't have the dowels but the shaft lines right up.

#118 ·
Bag-O-Chips,

Your skill level and knowledge is amazing. I, as well as others, look forward seeing this puppy on the road.

Thanks for sharing,

Marshall

#121 ·
You're welcome, I'd like to consider this swap an alternative to the 74. It's newer technology, newer materials and just plain cool! I will say this, The alloy content used in mitsus new engines are unreal... Jut cutting through the water neck was a peach with a band saw. Even the Mill had some words to say.

In the bigger picture, any one that can use a caliper, hack saw, cut off wheel, Drill, Tap-Die set, and welder can do this swap. I just want to expose the voo doo behind it. No fancy Nelson (yes, I said it now I'm getting hit by lightning) Mid plate needed, just parts already laying around.

#123 · (Edited)
I'll have to check on the specs when they arrive, they are still traveling baggage class lol

They should do pretty well, considering the larger displacement and the Mivec heads flowing numbers similar to if not better than LS7 heads. This build is gonna Rustle some Jimmies

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.