Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

92 boost problem after ecu change

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Superfast3000GT 
#1 ·
1992 vr4

ecu went in november '13, decided to wait until this week to get a new one.

started right up.. because it has been so long i moved out back and let it idle while i mowed my lawn, 30 minutes.

i was impressed on how nice it sounded and running.. i went to move it to the parking spot again and punched it, and noticed my boost gauge did not move. i did it many more times.. no boost.. opened hood and noticed that when i punch the throttle i get what looks like exhaust smoke from around the turbo area.

i did a google search and all i could find on this issue, is check the hoses. i checked them all.. and have had them apart many times over the years, so pretty familiar with them. they all seem secure.

no idea where to go now, i would assume my rebuilt ecu is not good.. but the smoke coming from the rear of the motor around the turbos has me puzzled.

any ideas?

thanks,

mike

See less See more
#4 ·
I fail to see the connect from a new ecu to the car not making boost and having an exhaust leak near the turbo.

I would visually inspect the area around the turbo. Maybe you have a huge rotten hole i. The header or the intake manifold that is preventing it from making boost

#7 ·
thanks for the input guys.. i did remove the pipe to rear turbo. that was the area i was seeing the smoke from.. there was an oily residue around it and where it fastens with the bolt. it was working fine until it failed in november.. the o ring looks old.. no cuts, splits.. but it doesnt seem to squishy.. seems kinda hard. i put it back together same result.. no boost.. still a smoke from that area.. hard to pinpoint, but now assume it is from that pipe connection.

the ecu i replaced has the same numbers except for bottom 4..

replacement:

MD159966
E2T3568
1Z14 M

original
MD159966
E2T3568
1X25 M

it seemed to be running fine till i melted the ecu. burned the board, but was still running when i parked it and pulled it.

do you think the leaky pack pipe to rear turbo is preventing my boost gauge from moving? again, if i punch it.. i do get slight movement.

thanks again,

mike

#10 ·
Man, I feel like a dumbass.. but you are 100% correct. However, I still have that leak that appears to be the o-ring. Maybe it have been there for some time.. I dont know. I will be getting a new O-ring though. I am surprised to still see my boost around 14ish.. right where it always was since I removed the restricting plug out of one of the vacuum lines.

Car runs strong.. buying a house, hoping I dont have to sell it to help pay for closing costs.. but need to have it ready just in case.

Thanks again for the help everyone,

Mike

#11 ·
just a friendly piece of advice if you think your going to need the money sell the car asap as its going to take a little for the car to sell. and no seller wants to hear you don't have the money for closing because you are trying to sell stuff.

#12 · (Edited)
From what I read, you are using the stock (non)boost gauge? And as stated, you can still peg "14 psi- HA!" even with a huge boost leak. In fact, you can even remove the y-pipe and go open throttle body and peg the gauge at 14. Your car will barely run of course, and you'll have to floor it to keep it running, and your downpipe will glow red from all the burning fuel you are dumping into it.... but you get the idea. The stock gauge doesn't measure air pressure, at all, what-so-ever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.