6g75 crank swap - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2011, 11:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

bochicchio.mike is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Default 6g75 crank swap

How hard is it to change the crankshaft in a motor? I am very mechanically inclined, but this is going to be my first time pulling a motor apart. My motor spun a bearing and I'm planning to change the pistons, rods and crank. I figure if I'm putting a new crank in, I might as well go with the 6g75 instead of the 6g74. Will the stock 6g72TT ECU adjust for the larger displacement and different crank or am I definitely going to need a standalone AEM EMS?
bochicchio.mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2011, 11:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 92 RT/TT, 96 Cobra
RealMcCoy Level 2RealMcCoy Level 2RealMcCoy Level 2RealMcCoy Level 2RealMcCoy Level 2RealMcCoy Level 2
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
Default Re: 6g75 crank swap

Won't fit...

You can make a 6G74 crank fit with over $1k worth of machine work...
Old 06-27-2011, 11:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
One fix at a time

Drives: 95 RT/TT
TurboSinceBirth Level 2TurboSinceBirth Level 2TurboSinceBirth Level 2TurboSinceBirth Level 2TurboSinceBirth Level 2
Feedback Score: 36 reviews

You can only fit a 6G75 crank in a 74 motor. The 72 motor will take a 74 crank but with modification and tons of money. A stroker short block is $6500. If you do it yourself you can probably keep it to $4k. I have a block that can get you started. It's already clearanced to fit a 6G74 crank.
95 RT/TT Billet TD04s on E70, DW1000cc injectors, ARC-2 with 92mm maf, 3SX fuel rail loop, hotwired Walbro 416, 3" FMIC, single Krank vent, Hallman Pro MBC, BlackStealth LCD BC, AEM wideband, AEM oil pressure, Apexi S1 coilovers with SCE EVO 8/9 adapters, 3SX adjustable control arms, Maximal solids/3SX poly motor mounts, Setrab custom SMOC, stock upper and lower end motor 127k miles.
TurboSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 04:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
I've been here way too long

Drives: 91 tsi
donniekak Level 2donniekak Level 2donniekak Level 2donniekak Level 2
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

I didn't know you guy's were paying that much. I can get a crank ground to any size i want for $100-$250, and grinding the block and girdle is easily done at home, or a couple of hours at $100 an hour shop time.
donniekak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 04:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 92 RT/TT, 96 Cobra
RealMcCoy Level 2RealMcCoy Level 2RealMcCoy Level 2RealMcCoy Level 2RealMcCoy Level 2RealMcCoy Level 2
Feedback Score: 38 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniekak View Post
I didn't know you guy's were paying that much. I can get a crank ground to any size i want for $100-$250, and grinding the block and girdle is easily done at home, or a couple of hours at $100 an hour shop time.
It's having the counterweights machined down and the Mallory metal added that costs the big bucks...
RealMcCoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 04:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1980 Pontiac....
1992redvr-4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 37 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniekak View Post
Ray does the machine work to the rod mains, center mains, and counterweight cutting. Cost for the proper machine work and balancing for a 74/72 stroker crank is around $1600-1650...?... I think.
1992redvr-4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 04:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
I've been here way too long

Drives: 91 tsi
donniekak Level 2donniekak Level 2donniekak Level 2donniekak Level 2
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMcCoy View Post
It's having the counterweights machined down and the Mallory metal added that costs the big bucks...
I know, i get 4g6x cranks worked all the time. It's not to much to have anything turned down on the lathe, and balancing is only $100. I was looking into doing this in my car, but could only find 2-bolt block cores at the time. That, and the longer the stroke, the more the inherent oiling design flaw in mitsu cranks rears it's ugly head.
donniekak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 06:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

My motor is a 6g74 that I want to put a 6g75 crank in. Is it just a matter of swapping it out or will I have to worry about balancing it or messing with the timing?
Old 06-28-2011, 11:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
One fix at a time

Drives: 95 RT/TT
TurboSinceBirth Level 2TurboSinceBirth Level 2TurboSinceBirth Level 2TurboSinceBirth Level 2TurboSinceBirth Level 2
Feedback Score: 36 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1992redvr-4 View Post
Ray does the machine work to the rod mains, center mains, and counterweight cutting. Cost for the proper machine work and balancing for a 74/72 stroker crank is around $1600-1650...?... I think.
It's $1600. That's what I paid. Like $900 for the machine work and the rest was for the balancing. Mallory is very expensive. The weights are also punched in through the side of the counterweight not drilling and stuck in the ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bochicchio.mike View Post
My motor is a 6g74 that I want to put a 6g75 crank in. Is it just a matter of swapping it out or will I have to worry about balancing it or messing with the timing?
You'll have to balance it because you need to get custom pistons. The crank fits fine with no machine work. You can use 6G74 rods too. The piston pin location is moved up towards the top of the piston because of the extra stroke.
TurboSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2011, 12:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

So I'll have to send my motor out to get balanced after I put the pistons in it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.