Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

3KGT Holy Grail

50K views 166 replies 30 participants last post by  MichaelMR2 
#1 · (Edited)
Found a 3.8l 6G75 Block (4.0l + potential) specifically to fit the 3000GT / Stealth chassis

Found in these.. V77W Pajero

and you'll need one these.. JDM 6G74 DOHC (use everything off this but the block)

P.S- For the ppl who dont know the 6g74/75 block have the same deck height so you'll need most of the gear of this engine to make up added deck height, the 72 dohc gear doesn't fit - check Wrench Monkeys page to get a better understanding of what i mean --- http://wrenchmonkey.com/Webpages/6G74swap.html

and to top it off one of these..

NBF 6g74 4.1L short block - Welcome to the New Racing Generation Forums .

and hey Presto !!!!!!!!

See less See more
#44 ·
Subscribed!

#47 ·
http://www.mitsubishicars.com/media/owners/pdf/04VINs.pdf

Vin JA4MW51S54J011406

J Made in Japan
A Mitsubishi
4 Multi-Purpose Vehicle
M Montero/Montero Sport 4wd, Endeavor
W5 Montero Limited
1 5 Door Wagon/SUV
S Engine 3.8L SOHC (6g75)
5 Check Digit
4 2004
J Assembled in Nagoya
011406 Serial Number 11,406’th made.

as long as the initial VIN match's your good to go, just take a quick look over the engine to make sure it looks right and your good to go.

the wrecking yards seem to call it a S spec..they are referring to the S in the VIN

#48 ·
Oh cool!

So let me get this straight. For this conversion (coming from stock) you would need a 6G72, 6G74 and the 6G75? I noticed the 75 was a SOHC and we're trying to retain the DOHC heads from the 74? Anybody know if there's an issue with the heads bolting up to the 75 block? Is there a way to use the heads from a 72? Say the DR StageIII heads?

#49 ·
let me say first, all of what we're talking about this block is theory, no-one has tested it.

now that's covered, the heads in the 6g75 MIVEC have been known to flow better than even Stage III 6g72/4 heads, so you'd Most likely want to stick with what it comes with, don't let the SOHC worry you, the 75 has 4 valves per cyl just like the 72/4 it just means you need to use the engine covers/belt etc that the 75 should come with.
the only problem with using it's heads are that your 72/4 Manifolds won't line up as Mitsu changed the exhaust port shape so you'd need whatever flange you have on your manifolds ground off and a new one welded on.
other than that if you do go with the 75 heads you MAY find the 72 upper manifold does not clear the covers anymore.
other than that just the normal 74 hook in proceedure (but you get 3.8L not 3.5L using the stock crank + forged rods + pistons as you would assuming your turbo'ing it) Ray says the Eclipse crank is good for under 800hp builds so I'd assume (and we're making a lot of them by this point) the Montero has the same crank.

#52 ·
#58 ·
christmas came early , must be the time difference

#60 ·
so how did ray p put those 4.0 strokers together then?

#62 · (Edited)
the good thing is the oil filter is not behind the engine :D.
and that Galant is just sex.pre 2000 Galant was always way ahead of camry and accord look. too bad mitsubishi fucked up after the year 2000. people bought their cars because they were exiting, now they lost what they were good at and they make unreliable boring cars.

#65 ·
yeah yeah tonight guys ;) she comes home on the work Ute, will pull of the exhaust manifolds and see where we stand..thinking it's missing a LOT of Bosses, definitely not going to go through all the shit bdrank's gone through, so it'll be a case of get the mounts for everything and take them to a local guy to get the nut's welded to the block or I send the engine back for a partial refund.

Some of the newer Montero block will probably be MIVEC like ours, this the first 3.8L montero engine and it did not come with MIVEC, I do have a set of mivec heads from a eclipse that will either be going on this block or the 74 sitting in the back of the garage.

I think there MAY be enough bosses to get the accessories on, but where I'm thinking we'll be in the shit is there is a very low chance of there being the mount for the half shaft :|

more in 10 hours.

#69 ·
Going to stick with it, found that the guys currently putting the adaptronic in my car can weld bosses to the block..BEAUTIFUL.

it arrived more or less like this:

More or less started out in here, look at the size of the damn intake! Mitsu had this crazy huge variable length intake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.