3000GT VR-4 Vs. Toyota Supra Twin Turbo, THE TRUTH? - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2002, 11:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Fragger is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 Vs. Toyota Supra Twin Turbo, THE TRUTH?

Hey guys,

First off, let me tell all of you guys, that I'm very new to the 3SI community, and this is why, I have very little knowledge of the VR-4's capabilities. Even though, I know that by time, I will learn about it much more, there is one question that bothers me the most, and that is 3000GT Vs. Supra.

I have a cousin, who is absolutely devoted to Supra(94-on). His devotion has caused him to know quite a lot about cars, but more importantly, about Supra. He says, that even if I hook up the 3000GT VR-4 fully and he tunes his Supra, there is NO CHANCE I could EVER beat him in a race.

My question is guys, is he telling the truth???!! I mean be as technical as you can in answering this question, or as less complicated, I don't care. Just please let me know why this is so, and how I can try to improve my chances. I know there a quite a few factors, like driving and everything, and I understand it too. But I'm more interested in the car's capability and not the driver.

Also guys, is there anything like the BPU for Supra, in the 3000GT, if so, what is it called. Thanks for reading!
Fragger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2002, 11:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

jdc4085 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

use the "search" button at the top right and you will have everything you want to know. The 3000GT/Supra debate has a ton of threads devoted entirely to that.

Mods so far:
HKS SSQV, HKS Intake, HKS Type1 TT, Odyssey PC680 Battery
Tan/black interior change, '99 front conversion & reverse panel,
Momo Millenium Steering Wheel, Momo Cobra knob, Momo boot, OhioSpyderman's SS shifter
Raceconcepts Rotors/Porterfield R4-S Pads/3SX Stainless Brake Lines
18x9 PIAA ROZZA w/ 265/35 BFG Comp TA KD's
Sparco Torino seats, SmokinVR4 Polished Dash and Speaker Plates
Eclipse 7001 CD, Alpine 6x9 & 6.5 Component Speakers
RPS Carbon Single Disk

1G DSM SIDEMOUNT IC UPGRADE FOR VR4/TT:
http://www.3si.org/portal/forums/sho...threadid=88605
jdc4085 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2002, 11:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

SM-4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 3000GT VR-4 Vs. Toyota Supra Twin Turbo, THE TRUTH?

Quote:
Originally posted by Fragger
He says, that even if I hook up the 3000GT VR-4 fully and he tunes his Supra, there is NO CHANCE I could EVER beat him in a race.

My question is guys, is he telling the truth???!!
you could beat him in a race.
get some big turbos, big injectors and fuel pump and he'll see your tail lights from far away
Old 10-10-2002, 12:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Trevor Level 4Trevor Level 4Trevor Level 4Trevor Level 4Trevor Level 4Trevor Level 4Trevor Level 4Trevor Level 4Trevor Level 4Trevor Level 4Trevor Level 4
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Default Re: 3000GT VR-4 Vs. Toyota Supra Twin Turbo, THE TRUTH?

Quote:
Originally posted by Fragger
He says, that even if I hook up the 3000GT VR-4 fully and he tunes his Supra, there is NO CHANCE I could EVER beat him in a race.
Boy...your cousin sounds like a prick (no offense of course). That's a hell of a blanket statement.

I beat this Supra at the track about a month ago in an impromptu race while he was trying to tune in the car and my car was running at close to 100%:
http://www.wotm.com/wotmcar.htm
Held him off by about 3 carlengths after I holeshotted him off the line. That car went on to run 10.5@137 last weekend at the national Supra gathering...winning the street class after fine tuning and switching to ET Streets. Does it mean I didn't get the win? No. Does it mean he'll wipe the floor with me when everything goes right? Yep.

A modded 3/S has NO CHANCE to EVER beat a modded Supra? Riggghhttt... A Yugo can beat a McClaren F1 if the McClaren has enough problems. Anything can (and will) happen...especially when it comes to high HP cars that require a fine tune and excellent driving skills to put down all that power.

Last edited by Trevor; 10-10-2002 at 12:20 AM.
Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2002, 12:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
just some guy.

Drives: 94 Stealth Turbo
Racer_X is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

your buddy probably doens't know much about cars that "aren't supras". if you modify your vr-4 correctly, you will be a good match.

Pretty good for 2 shot turbos and a boost leak
Racer_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2002, 12:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
The Voice of Reason

pensfan83 Level 1pensfan83 Level 1
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Of course a Supra will always beat a VR-4. Just look at how many wins the Supra guy at our Nat. Gathering racked up . . . oh, wait, I can count them on no hands (yes, I know he was new to dragging or something, I forget )

Saying that a VR-4 will never beat a Supra shows a level of ignorance that we, as performance enthusiasts first and 3S enthusiasts second, must beat out of the offending party

I have an idea. Line his cousin up with Monnett on one side and Mahaffey on the other

Last edited by pensfan83; 10-10-2002 at 12:46 AM.
pensfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2002, 01:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
It's like that

KingNothing is an unknown quantity at this point

A "fully" modified 3S will never beat "fully" modified Supra? What exactly is fully modified?

Exactly. Nothing is fully modified. There is always something else to do.

Stock for stock they're about even, but the Supra will win from a roll since you lose the AWD advantage.
3SI Member #705
KingNothing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2002, 01:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Location: "back 40" area (Holly) about 40 miles NW of Detroit
Bluto is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile VR4 vs Supra

I watched that black Supra race @ NG in Indiana. He was new to dragstrippin' and so was I. We both had STOCK cars (mine is a 95TT, his was 95 or 96). I ran a 13.7 @ 100mph w/.7 or .8 reaction time and a 60' @ 1.9 sec.
I don't remember his times, but I beat his by a small margin. And you can tell by my ticket, that I'm no Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins!
Maybe it was the driver, maybe I was more willing to take (mechanical) chances than he was?
Keep reading these posts and saving your lunch money for mods and you'll be as torqued as the rest of us in no time

BLUTO
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2002, 01:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

AdamVR4 Level 2AdamVR4 Level 2AdamVR4 Level 2AdamVR4 Level 2AdamVR4 Level 2AdamVR4 Level 2
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

his cousin's not at all worth that sort of interest on our parts... lol

He's probably got a Supra thats in the 11's or 12's and he thinks its untouchable
Old 10-10-2002, 12:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Your Local Supra Owner

WeaponX is an unknown quantity at this point

I own a supra and even I think he is full of it. At BPU levels (Basic Performance Upgrades like exhaust/intake/boost controller), a well running BPU supra should win every time but once modded, it comes down to who has the better setup.

And supras can lose, I did last week to a VR4 w/ 13gs
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.