Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

15G turbo question

952 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  luvness018 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I purchased a set of used 15G turbos to replace my stock 9b's. My stock rear turbo had turbine damage so I replaced it right away and all was good.

I finally got around to replacing the front and developed smoking during decell. I pulled it off and replaced the turbine seal, during reinstall, I could push the shaft into the bearing housing by hand. My stockers, I noticed I had to tap with a nylon hammer.

The seal felt a little loose on the shaft, so I'm thinking I need a new turbine shaft. And the smoking got worse after I cleaned carbon away from the shaft where the seal seats.

Here's my problem, I bought converted 15Gs with clipped turbine blades, so I can't just swap one of my stock ones in it, or can I? Is there a different blade I can use to kind of even them out? Does anyone possibly have clipped turbine shafts? Lol

Sorry for all of the questions, but I'm totally clueless as to what I can run and what I shouldn't.

Thanks!

#3 ·
Thanks so much for the response! I believe my 15Gs were converted from 9bs, I'm pretty sure the turbine wheel is the same but has been clipped to assist in spooling?

That's why I'm thinking i can't use a stock turbine wheel, I don't want to get the turbos off balance, or will that hurt anything?

#4 ·
if you have calipers, you can measure the turbine diameter between the two.

not knowing who did the upgrade, its hard to say what they did for sure. when i get them done, i throw away all the 9b parts and go with the 13G stuff.

clipping will aide spooling by lowering restriction, and allowing more flow.

if you did have 9b turbines, id get some 13G H or HL turbines instead, longer life, and no need to clip the HL and all.

i just bought 2 NIB 15gs from a guy, ill get them sometime next week, im going to pull them apart and convert them to Billet compressors.

ill take some measurements when i tear them down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.