Coil pack...not firing/92 GTO - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Regional Discussions > International(NON USA) > Australia

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2007, 06:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
New User - Please be kind

nemesis101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Coil pack...not firing/92 GTO

Hi guys

I have recently experienced problems with my 92 mitsubishi GTO, after having it for about 4 weeks....

One day just driving home it was suddenly misfiring and running on 4-5 cylinders...

Changed the leads and spark plugs for the front part of the engine, as the back to hard to get to....and i found that did not solve the problem.....
In this process though i have found out that the front left cylinder while removing the spark plug was not working by looking at the state of the spark plug

So i removed the spark plug leads while the car was runnin on this particular coilpack(middle coilpack) and BINGO one output does not work

I then went to AFI and bought that exact same coilpack(C9223)...
On the process of installing it i have come accross numerous problems

I lost the nut to connect the coil pack to the cables.....I used duct tape to hold it into place....another foolish mistake was i left the spark plug leads disconnected from the coilpack
also forgot to put the air filter piping back ..

Then started the car and turned over once for 10seconds out of 10 times ive attempted...

I then resolved the problems by getting a new nut, connecting the spark plug leads, and connecting the air intake piping back on....Now the new coil pack does not distribute any spark on both outputs

Any advise??

I think its time i will bring this to a workshop, please advise me if you have a workshop anywhere in sydney who knows what they are doing with their GTO's

This is more then likely an electrical problem

any solution??

cheers

and now the car turns over, but the new coil pack does
nemesis101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2007, 06:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Doin stuff

Drives: 1993 Mitsubishi GTO
GTO Assassin Level 2GTO Assassin Level 2GTO Assassin Level 2GTO Assassin Level 2
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
Default Re: Coil pack...not firing/92 GTO

Try Pro Concept at West Ryde. Phone number is 9807 4488. Joshua is the head mechanic there and can help you.

If you're going to change the plugs and and leads, you should really do the rears aswell. Yes it takes more time, but very worthwhile.

Scotty

Last edited by GTO Assassin; 08-11-2007 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Spelling
GTO Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2008, 05:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1992 Sandstone VR4
kuroiknight is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

I know this was a while ago, but what turned out to be wrong with your car? I am having the same issue.
kuroiknight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2008, 08:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1990 GTO
aussie_will is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroiknight View Post
I know this was a while ago, but what turned out to be wrong with your car? I am having the same issue.
Wow, yeah it was a while ago.

I had a similar problem and it was solved by replacing the ignition module. Looks like this little gem and is hidden under the coils.
Ignition Module PTU DOHC*-*Mitsubishi 3000GT*/*Dodge Stealth
The coil packs themselves were fine.

I've also read that a bunch of other users were experiencing similar problems and it turned out to be either a faulty ECU, crank sensor, ECS computer or TPS sensor in their case.
aussie_will is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2008, 06:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Paid Member

Drives: 98 3rd Gen GTO
TrueblueGTO is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same problem I posted it somewhere on the forum. It was the Power Transistor Unit. The most sensible thing to do is take out the coil and the PTU and bench test them as described in the repair manual ie with a volt meter and the resistance or not across the terminals will tell you which one is faulty.

If its your coil pack they are only avail from Mitsu as a single unit or you can go after market. Same with the PTU but I don't know if aftermarket ones are available but I did see something on the Haltech web site that looked like it might work.

If you haven't got acess to a repair manual I'll scan the pages and send them to you.

Of course it could be the ecu, apparently early ecus had leaking capacitors but I'd look at the ignition system first and rule it out before I started on the ecu.

By the way I did all the things you have done before doing the bench tests, changed plugs leads and coil pack put it all back together just to find it still didn't work. Then I got smart.
TrueblueGTO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2008, 02:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 91RT
91RT is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Think i have a similar problem. I get juice from the PTU when the car is in the "on" position but no sparks are firing as i try to start it. Just keeps cranking. Already took out the ecu. Found it was a little dirty but cleaned it and since i'm getting juice at the PTU that means it's ok right? Would u mind scanning me those manual pages TrueBlue. thanks for any help
91RT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2008, 04:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
TUFFTR & JDMBBQ

Drives: Mitusbishi Magna
TUFFTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

After seeing how cheap they go for on here, I'll be buying a few spares. Seems as though this part is often one to fail and replacements are expensive....Just a thought.

What's left
- Snow N/A meth kit - purchased!
- Enkei 18" wheels - purchased!
- Dyno Tune - All that's left.....
- Vapour Injection LPG system - purchased!
TUFFTR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2008, 08:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Paid Member

Drives: 98 3rd Gen GTO
TrueblueGTO is an unknown quantity at this point

Send me a PM with your email and I'll email them I seem to be having a problem getting them into a message on the forum.
TrueblueGTO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Regional Discussions > International(NON USA) > Australia

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.