What I did today - Page 433 - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Regional Discussions > Chapters > TN3S

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #4321 (permalink)
^^My name is April^^

Drives: Spyder VR4, SRT8
dbest671 Level 2dbest671 Level 2dbest671 Level 2dbest671 Level 2dbest671 Level 2dbest671 Level 2
Feedback Score: 87 reviews
Default Re: What I did today

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIV View Post
Yup, when you made that post giving your offer, I PM'ed him more for just the plenum. I paid more then fair for it if it makes you feel any better.

Coop
Yes it does. I refuse to pay more than $100 for any plenum, but don't actually need one for my car to function with a flashed ECU. Well that, and I already have one with a map port untapped, well two actually
dbest671 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #4322 (permalink)
never a dull moment

Drives: 93vr4 & 92vr4
DCIV Level 2DCIV Level 2DCIV Level 2DCIV Level 2
Feedback Score: 15 reviews

I wanted to PM you and say something but USPS lost it for 10 days more and he was a new seller so I was a little worried. No need though.

Coop
Old 11-27-2012, 02:03 PM   #4323 (permalink)
^^My name is April^^

dbest671 Level 2dbest671 Level 2dbest671 Level 2dbest671 Level 2dbest671 Level 2dbest671 Level 2

I take it was parcel post? If so, that service can take FOREVER. Why would you contact me, you have access to his phone number
Old 11-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #4324 (permalink)
never a dull moment

USPS, no not his phone number to be worried about my package. He kept in contact. Contact you to let you know what I did. haha.

Coop
DCIV is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #4325 (permalink)
^^My name is April^^

USPS has first class, parcel post, priority, express... since a plenum is heavy the cheapest way to send it from Cali to TN from USPS is parcel post.

Actually I was wondering who bought it when he said it was sold, but I figured they probably offered more than me and I wasn't willing to pay more.

Did somebody start sanding/polishing it?
Old 11-27-2012, 02:30 PM   #4326 (permalink)
never a dull moment

yeah looks like they were started sanding on it, with a grinder. I was going to get all the bumps off anyways as I am going to redo all my stuff in black chrome powder coat.

Coop
Old 11-27-2012, 02:36 PM   #4327 (permalink)
^^My name is April^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIV View Post
yeah looks like they were started sanding on it, with a grinder. I was going to get all the bumps off anyways as I am going to redo all my stuff in black chrome powder coat.

Coop
Now I'm glad I didn't buy it... I hate when people think a grinder is a good idea LOL. I have bought three plenums that were an aborted polishing project... and they took longer to fix than if I started from scratch.

Getting the bumps off is the hard part ... and the holes. The 96/97 usually have the worse casting out of all the plenums.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #4328 (permalink)
never a dull moment

Got any tips that might make it easier?

Coop
Old 11-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #4329 (permalink)
^^My name is April^^

TBH, if you really want that "black chrome" look it's best to get it as smooth as possible. I would probably go up to 400 grit, smooth enough to get that chrome reflection yet gritting enough for the powder to stick. The smoother the casting is the better the finish will be.

Don't know what kind of tools you have... but simple drill with a 5-6" backing pad and some PSA disc will get you very far on the runners. I start with 120 grit.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:20 AM   #4330 (permalink)
Fix it till it breaks

Drives: 91 Stealth RT/TT
sergechronos is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Got the pressure tester onto the car today. Couple minor leaks from the rear turbo pipe (new o ring and reseating fixed it) and some leaks going into the y pipe (the hoses are old and seem to be fairly shot at this point) but was able to tighten it down to get it to stop (mostly)

The biggest leak I found is coming from the intake manifold area. Either where the upper meets the lower or where the lower meets the heads, hard to tell. There was a stripped bolt hole that I helicoiled, but doesn't seem to have fixed it. Sounds mainly like it's coming from the passenger side. Perhaps needs a new gasket, but I may just wait until Spring when I do all the other maintenance to replace the upper and the lower gaskets.

Adding to the list of things to do this spring: EGR delete as well. That pipe is a pain in the ass to get on and off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Regional Discussions > Chapters > TN3S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.