Anybody near Nashville who can swap/test an ECU? - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Regional Discussions > Chapters > TN3S

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 04:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 91 3000GT VR4
ev77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Anybody near Nashville who can swap/test an ECU?

I have a 91 vr-4 that's been running rough on me since I got back from school (it sat around for around a year while I was gone).

I've already done a few different things and replaced a few parts, but it's still running rough; so I was hoping I could find someone near the nashville area (i live just east of nashville) who would be willing to either swap ECUs so I can find out if mine was bad, or possibly hook it up and test it to see if it's bad, or whatever else might test it.

Here's what I've done so far to try and fix the issue:
plugs/wires, replaced 1 coil, got a fuel injector/system clean at firestone, and used lots of fuel cleaners. I am also open to suggestions (like replacing the fuel filter: though would a clogged fuel filter make it run rather rough or just a little rough?)

Thanks in advance.
ev77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Thread Killer

Drives: 91 SLTT, 94 SL
hunt.chad is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Default Re: Anybody near Nashville who can swap/test an ECU?

can always check your vacuum lines. they tend to dryrot and break over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Beast View Post
Holy shit, besides racing cars, building motors you ride bulls too?
You are the manliest man ever!
hunt.chad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Killer

I would also suggest just doing the vacuum reduction modification if you havent already. It tends to clear up alot of problems
Old 01-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
never a dull moment

Drives: 93vr4 & 92vr4
DCIV Level 2DCIV Level 2DCIV Level 2DCIV Level 2
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

pressure test would be number 1, then ecu number 2. Lots of us in the knox area could easily help you but your a good distance away. If you still havnt had any luck I will be in nash in febuary and you could meet up one day.

Coop
Old 01-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Killer

also what led you to replace just that one coil? people at firestone?
Old 01-07-2013, 11:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 91 3000GT VR4
ev77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Thanks for all the replies guys!

and to answer a few of your questions:

@chad.hunt: Yea, Since my car was still running rough after the injector/system cleaning i went ahead and got them to diagnose the engine to see what might be the problem and that is where the list of things I did came in. Was rather annoying because at first they wanted to replace the wires/plugs and I specifically asked them how the coils were looking and they said "fine" but a week down the road I brought it back in because it was still running rough. So after they fixed the wires/plugs they found a bad coil and then said the car was running pretty smooth. Needless to say, it was still running rough after I got it back and I'm kinda avoiding going back before they find more coils or something that needs replacing.

Also, the most I could do for the vacuum leaks is to start the car and just try and listen for them; though even if I heard a leak I don't have the knowledge to do anything about it myself (hence firestone).

@DCIV: Know any shops around the nashville/knoxville area that can do a pressure test? I'm pretty sure my mechanic can't. I actually have a friend who lives up in knoxville and I go up about every 2-3 weeks to see him, so if the shop is open on the weekend I could arrange something the next time I was up there visiting.
ev77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 07:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
never a dull moment

Drives: 93vr4 & 92vr4
DCIV Level 2DCIV Level 2DCIV Level 2DCIV Level 2
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Pressure testing is SUPER easy. You can build a tester for less then 20 bucks then you only need a compressor. hook it up and listen for leaks. I promise you have a bunch and make it run like poop. If you make it into knoxville area there are a good 4 of us that are around and could prob help.

Coop
DCIV is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 08:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Thread Killer

superfast3000gt has a pressure tester built I believe. you might give him a pm since he lives in lavergne. might be able to figure something out. Mechanics around the area dont know jack squat about vr4's. my dad had his in two seperate shops for about 3 months trying to figure out why his car wouldnt run right after a turbo replacement. I finally got his car towed to my work( oreillys) and used teh avalible vacuum line there to do a vacuum reduction. Car ran fine lol. But if you wait and go out east with coop and them they have all the knowledge and neat tools to get you going good.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1991 3000GT VR4
Superfast3000GT is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Yeah I can help with the pressure test and other stuff. If you've never pressure tested before then there is probably a 99% chance you'll have at least one leak somewhere. I have a 3SX tester and just borrow my grandfathers portable air compressor whenever I need to do a test. We can also open up your ECU to check the caps if testing/fixing leaks doesn't clear up the problem. I also have a good MAFS that I'm not using (see below) =) so we can rule that out too. I'm not against pulling my ECU, but I'd do all that I could before going that route.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Thread Killer

just when swapping ecu's to test, go ahead and unplug the ecs computer. would hate to fry one because of that. may just be superstition but it never hurts to be too careful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Regional Discussions > Chapters > TN3S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.