Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

How to check your oil pressure sender

46K views 45 replies 31 participants last post by  RealMcCoy 
#1 ·
#2 · (Edited)
How to check the wiring on your oil pressure sensor.

So this is a common problem with our cars... The oil LIGHT in the dash isn't on, but the Gauge in the middle shows ZERO oil pressure!

Well it happened to me, and I found lots of help when I searched, but I'm a TOTAL newbie when it comes to 3/S's, so I wasn't happy with the pictures I found.

So I took my own, and now I'm posting 'em to help you.
I was told it's an easy fix with your car on a jack or lift, or that I could take the tire off. I didn't have to do EITHER! I just layed down next to the drivers side front tire, and I could SEE and REACH the loose wire. Here's pics.

When I looked, here's the first thing I saw...

Note the wire hanging loose.

If you're disoriented, or have no clue what ANYTHING is, here's the picture again, with the front drivers-side TIRE in the picture, so you can get your bearings. (It's on the right side, you might have to scroll your browser.)

Okay, take that little wire hanging loose, and slide the connecter onto the brass colored little round thing. (It's the oil sender unit). Make it look like THIS:

The tire is in there again, so you can get your bearings.

Here's the final picture, with instructions and all the right parts pointed out with an arrow.

Okay, I hope this helps some newbie someday, and like someone told me... don't you DARE pay to have this one fixed! Do it yourself!

I took these pics myself, and they're of my car, so they're not copyrighted or anything... Feel free to use them if you have a 3/S site with a fix for this problem.

Good luck, everyone, and enjoy your car without worrying about that oil gauge! :)

#30 ·
Re: How to check the wiring on your oil pressure sensor.

So this is a common problem with our cars... The oil LIGHT in the dash isn't on, but the Gauge in the middle shows ZERO oil pressure!

Well it happened to me, and I found lots of help when I searched, but I'm a TOTAL newbie when it comes to 3/S's, so I wasn't happy with the pictures I found.

So I took my own, and now I'm posting 'em to help you.
I was told it's an easy fix with your car on a jack or lift, or that I could take the tire off. I didn't have to do EITHER! I just layed down next to the drivers side front tire, and I could SEE and REACH the loose wire. Here's pics.

When I looked, here's the first thing I saw...

Note the wire hanging loose.

If you're disoriented, or have no clue what ANYTHING is, here's the picture again, with the front drivers-side TIRE in the picture, so you can get your bearings. (It's on the right side, you might have to scroll your browser.)

Okay, take that little wire hanging loose, and slide the connecter onto the brass colored little round thing. (It's the oil sender unit). Make it look like THIS:

The tire is in there again, so you can get your bearings.

Here's the final picture, with instructions and all the right parts pointed out with an arrow.

Okay, I hope this helps some newbie someday, and like someone told me... don't you DARE pay to have this one fixed! Do it yourself!

I took these pics myself, and they're of my car, so they're not copyrighted or anything... Feel free to use them if you have a 3/S site with a fix for this problem.

Good luck, everyone, and enjoy your car without worrying about that oil gauge! :)

This post is EXACTLY what I need but for some reason I can't see any of those pictures...its just small red x's...

#5 ·
Re: How to check the wiring on your oil preasure sensor.

Just wanted to add a little something...

If this wire continually falls off and you find yourself doing this same procedure over and over again, like I had to...take a pair of pliers and gently squeeze the connector. After I did this, my the connector actually "snapped" on the oil pressure sender and it has yet to fall off :bandit:

#7 ·

There are 2 sensors? One for the gauge and one for the oil light in the dash? I always figured they shared the same sensor. Maybe I should check the connection on my oil light sensor.

#8 ·

Do you have missing panels or did you remove them to take the pictures ?
I can't see any of that on my 91, there are splash panels covering everything,
I can see the axle coming out of a panel but that's it, I know I can remove them, just curious if mine is the norm or what?

Thanks

Jack

#9 ·

Hrm... when I lay down on the ground and put my head under the wheel, I was able to see exactly what I took the picture of. Although the car I took those pictures on was used and with high mileage.... But I don't know of any panels that should be blocking that. Maybe someone else can give a more educated opinion:

TTT.

#10 ·

white 91 said:
Do you have missing panels or did you remove them to take the pictures?
There should be a inner splash shield (Called a Side Under Cover in the manual and Engine Room Side Cover LH MB640781 in CAPS) running from the body structure to the left suspension member. There is another on on the RH side closing up that wheel well from the engine compartment (it's MB640782).

According to CAPS it is the same part for every 3S.

Steve

#11 ·

stevep said:
There should be a inner splash shield (Called a Side Under Cover in the manual and Engine Room Side Cover LH MB640781 in CAPS) running from the body structure to the left suspension member. There is another on on the RH side closing up that wheel well from the engine compartment (it's MB640782).

According to CAPS it is the same part for every 3S.

Steve
Thanks Steve

The only way to access the sensor is from underneath the car or remove the panels. It looks real simple with the panels missing, but with them in place you can't see what is shown in that picture, It looks simple without the panels but I'm sure they serve a purpose. All I can see is the axle coming out of a slot in the panel, cannot see into the engine compartment at all.

#12 ·

If you have a busted CV boot the grease can cause the gauge to drop to zero. Pull the connector off wipe clean and should work. Not really high tech or anything, but I figured i'd add some input in a problem I had once...

#13 ·

Thanks for the tip! My oil pressure gauge hasn't worked for a while, so I looked down there and, sure enough, the wire was hanging off. I stuck it back on and it works like a charm. Thanks a lot!

#14 ·

Glad my post was of service :)

#15 ·

for the SOHC motors the sensor is right on top of the oil filter....i did mine today...i was looking where the DOHC sensor was (in the pictures) and it wasnt there, but i found it.. :D thanks for the post!! i would have had NO IDEA

#17 ·

hey my gauge is working but my light is on. sure the gauge is crap but it is in the "good" range and fluctuates with the revs. i also have oil too. im guessing the sender has a problem since i have put 150 miles on the car with no spun bearings. i cleaned the sender but maybe its bad?

#19 ·

My gauge has come unplugged, however I can't find where to plug it in, are there 2 prongs? one on each side. There is a piece of metal where the light is plugged in but there is no place for the gauge, did it break off? if I am just stupid can someone post pics on where it goes? Thanks.
Travis

#20 ·

I know this is an old Thread, but could someone help me with this. My stock gauge was reading very high. Then a couple of days, it started dropping very slow to the very bottom. I would repeat this when I got in the car to go somewhere. I looked down there, and of course I have a busted boot. So, I pulled the plug off wiped it clean and stuck it back on.

Will any aftermarket gauge do?
Do I need to replace factor sensor as well?
What kind of aftermarket sensor will fit?

Thanks

#22 ·

thanks Alan. If you happen to read this, and this thread will stay, can you change the title of the thread to "pressure" instead of "preasure" please.

#24 ·
If you install a aftermarket oil pressure gauge (electric type / not mech) you will need to install a new sender unit. The gauge and sender are married, and the stock sender will not work with your aftermarket gauge. If you gauge did not come with a sender then you need to find the correct one that goes with your gauge.

Most senders are 1/8 inch NPT thread. Our cars need Metric Thread. you can buy the adaptor online (3sx charges 17 bucks!) i found mine for 5 bucks at a local shop called 'Central Hydrolics' none of my local autopart stores had them but lucky for me a local auto parts store employee knew what store did have it.

You will most likely also need a 'elbow' as most sender units are 'bigger then a freaking sweet potato'

You do not need to drain your oil to remove and install a new sender, or to just remove yours for cleaning. Oil will come out, about 1/4 of a cup (kitchen measurement) so keep a paper cup handy to catch the mess.

Here is a pic of my dirty one. i pulled it off and cleaned it and it works alot better now.

If anyone would like to add this info the wiki feel free....im wikiliterate

#26 ·
Maybe you'll be lucky like me and find out that you only have one sensor down there. I had to uncap the other sensor hole, that I think someone had loctited in place, and get an adapter to put in the gauge sensor. But, It got fixed, just took a little more effort than I thought it would.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.