you have a 20yr old car, DO NOT FLUSH YOUR ENGINE AT JIFFY LUBE - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > New Owner Questions

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2012, 06:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ancient Spirit Of Evil

Drives: Mumra tank
kelvinTurbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Default you have a 20yr old car, DO NOT FLUSH YOUR ENGINE AT JIFFY LUBE

I am going to write about my ordeal with Jiffy Lube

before you rise up in arms, no, it was not my VR4 or any of my Bimers, it was my wife's Dodge Charger, it's an 09' with barely 28k miles, I usually do my oil changes, if I have the time or if I feel like it, but sometimes I may be at work, or in this case, basically incapacitated from a nasty fall I took while attempting some crazy sh#$ on an ATV.

let's take a ride back in time to summer 2010, my fiancée had just moved in with me, everything was going great when one Monday morning she calls me and tells me that her car needs an oil change, so I say I'll get it when I get home to which she says she wants to go drive 150 miles to see her dad, so that she is going to take it to Jiffy Lube (Jiff in hell mofos) but then a few minutes later she texts that they are telling her the car needs a FLUSH... I immediately say NO!!! tell them no, it's expensive and will only cause problems, I say her car is perfect, as you know, some women are like felines, no matter WTF you recommend or say; they are bound by their blondness to do the exact opposite...

She goes to her parents and returns before I come home with extra sheets, blankets, her gigantic teddy bear I gave her and other girly shi* that I'm not getting into. That same night we decide to treat her sister to a night out in the town to celebrate her 16th birthday and getting her permit, instead of taking my truck or the VR4 we take her dodge out, I get driving duty until we can find a parking lot to let the teen girl drive around a bit. Upon driving 2 blocks, car begins to buck and some weird noises, like a knife in a blender comes from the car, CEL is on, I shut the car off, I am thinking some belt snapped or something but I look and see nothing wrong however the engine will not turn over. I call tow truck and get car towed to my local friendly puertorican (steal you blind mechanics) that happen to be old high school friends of mine, we go home, bummed out... next morning I get a call at work from mechanic stating that they had inspected the top of engine, and were in process of taking one head off, but that judging by the damage they think the oil wasn't circulating, next day I get a call to come and take a look, when I look into it I see a substance I can only describe as foam basically plugging all the little oil passages and orifices. The guy pulls me aside and tells me that he has seen this before, it's called engine flush results... the car being still under warranty I do the sensible thing and tell the guy to not tell the warranty about the flush but he says they already know but they are covering it anyway as a favor to her dad (who worked as a dodge dealership manager for 30 years) car gets a brand new engine truckered in.

Weeks went by, I did not mention the oil flush fiasco to her, but then the car was back in her hands, one morning she says she is taking it to get oil change again with her dad standing there too and I say if you do an engine flush again you will have no car again... she becomes apologetic and says she'll always listen to my recommendations. The car has never gone back to Jiffy Lube (Jiff in hell)

So moral of the story, DON'T DO IT! in your case you have a 3000gt/stealth that is very old and this can be the absolute worst thing, now if you are bent on killing your car.......

PS: going back to Jiffy to make claims is not only a futile exercise but a rather blood pressure raising ordeal as they will deny any wrong doing on their part even knowing that they are a bunch of scammers

I can show you what it's like to lose control...
kelvinTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 09:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
mitsu lover

Drives: 92 Stealth TT
jspecmike is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Default Re: you have a 20yr old car, DO NOT FLUSH YOUR ENGINE AT JIFFY LUBE

Why do women never listen..... I swear.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 1991 Stealth ES
westcott is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspecmike View Post
Why do women never listen..... I swear.
Its almost like they hate being told what to do, no matter what. AND, if you do not take or have the time to explain why one should or not do something, well, you are just asking to be defied. Your wife was very lucky. Not everyone's dad works at a Dodge Dealer.

But, some good can come of it. She will think twice before defying you again!!!!

Original Owner, ROTM-March 2013, ROTY 2013, Highest WHP N/A 2013, TXG13 3S Sponsor
My mod list can be found in My Garage
westcott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
never a dull moment

Drives: 93vr4 & 92vr4
DCIV Level 2DCIV Level 2DCIV Level 2DCIV Level 2

I hate dealerships. My gf took her car, that was under warranty, to get scheduled maintenance at the local Nissan dealer. Well her suit (was a lifeguard at the time) was rolled up in her towel and placed in her trunk. When she went to get her car the mechanic was asking her where she lifeguarded and for how long. That was the ONLY thing in her car, he had to unroll her towel to get the suit and then look at the suit to see lifeguard. I was pissed.

Coop
Old 12-24-2012, 01:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 92 stealth rt tt
ncloudv7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Does the Jiffy Lube receipt actually say "engine flush"? I am asking because the previous owner took the car to Jiffy lube for the oil changes and I have the receipts. It would probably have a seperate charging category but just in case.

Is there a way to reverse the process of their engine flush or hope for the best haha. I immediately changed the oil on the car as soon as I bought it though. (engine, trans, diff, t-case)
ncloudv7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
never a dull moment

Drives: 93vr4 & 92vr4
DCIV Level 2DCIV Level 2DCIV Level 2DCIV Level 2

No way to reverse things. It could of washed the oil off the bearings, could of put sludge that wasnt hurting anything to somewhere that it did. There are lots of things it could of done.

Coop
DCIV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Wheee! 2 wheels is fun!

Drives: Various Japanese
speedy25 Level 1speedy25 Level 1speedy25 Level 1
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

OK, no more female hate messages. Got any pics of the "foam?" THAT would be interesting to see. Also to find out what the brand name of the offending product was.

Glad you could get a new engine and save your car.

You would think with all the bad press the cheapo oil change places get they would be on "damage control" instead of "what can we damage next?"

-SP
speedy25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 11:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
^^My name is April^^

Drives: Spyder VR4, SRT8
dbest671 Level 2dbest671 Level 2dbest671 Level 2dbest671 Level 2dbest671 Level 2dbest671 Level 2
Feedback Score: 87 reviews

Well at least they remembered to put the oil drain plug back on LOL...

But seriously, we females are gullible when it comes to cars... I know I was absolutely car stupid from age 16-23, and what ever an automotive place suggested I did for the most part.
dbest671 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
3S= South Side Stealths

Drives: R/TTT/SRT4/Vette/Ram
daneboy5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 40 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbest671 View Post
Well at least they remembered to put the oil drain plug back on LOL...

But seriously, we females are gullible when it comes to cars... I know I was absolutely car stupid from age 16-23, and what ever an automotive place suggested I did for the most part.
But your only 24 now April! lol

TT's:
92 R/T TT built 6g74, IPS Street heads w/272's, PTE Billet 5857's, Tial 38mm's IPS FMIC, GT-Pro/3sx dual fuel system, AEM EMSv2, HKS DLI, IPS Custom 3" exhaust w/e-cutout, much more...
94 R/T TT Borla exhaust, K&N (waiting to install: MTC 19T's, flashable ecu, Evo 560's, 264's EVO VIII MAF)
91 R/T TTDR900's, DR Stage III heads, UR cam gears, GT Pro fuel system and more
91 R/T TTDR650's + supporting mods
92 R/T TT Future build...

N/A's:
91 R/T Maximal Singleshot, OBX long-tube headers, K&N, MSD wires, set-up for daughter
94 SL w/5spd, Megan coliovers, K&N, Intake, wife's
99 SLDOHC Currently parting out
91 ES For Sale...
92 Base Sohc Currently parting out since NO title to be issued
95 R/T w/5spd...currently being parted out

Inquire about parts...I have a lot to get rid of!!!
daneboy5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 01:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

Drives: '91 Stealth "ES"
Maximal Level 2Maximal Level 2Maximal Level 2Maximal Level 2
Feedback Score: 219 reviews

NEVER EVER TAKE YOUR CAR TO THESE PLACES.

Whether it's Jiffy Lube, WalMart, Quaker State, Valvoline or whatever other "express lube" place there is stay away. Most of the time the people work there really know nothing about cars and do whatever they can to get it in and out as quick as they can.

I used to work at a dealership and although we weren't perfect the amount of screw-ups we fixed from places like that were ridiculous. About once a week a drain pan would come in with silicone all around the drain plug. Once you pulled it out the threads were all stripped. All of them seemed to have the sticker from a local express lube place on them. As a test we took a used car there and got the oil change only to see the techs (not only on our car but every one that went through there) using an impact to remove and put back on the drain plug. Of course they strip out a fair chunk of them and then just silicone the crap out of it to keep it from leaking.

I could go on all day with a list of reasons not to go to those places but you're better off doing it yourself or taking it to a trusted dealership (usually the smaller ones) that have mechanics that usually know what they're doing.

Maximal Performance
Maximal Performance Facebook
Maximal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > New Owner Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.