Why 3S gets no respect...? - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > New Owner Questions

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2010, 11:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
OFWGKTA

Drives: 2008 Lexus IS-F
FelipeFromColombia is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mitsubishi Why 3S gets no respect...?

Okay, so this isn't really a very technical question.... it's more of a philosophical one. Why don't 3000GTs fit in with the "mad-tyte-JDM" crowd?

My car prior to the 1992 VR4 I got back in November was a 5-speed Lexus SC300. Everywhere I would go, I would get the knowing nod from guys in 350Zs, S2000s, STis, Evos, ect. People would ask me about the car... how hard was it to find a 5 speed SC, how do I like it, am I going to 2JZGTE swap it, blah blah blah. But now, the guys in their RSXs, G35s, JDM Hondas, RX7s, S-chassis, ect. all give me death glares and try to race me.

What the @#$%?! I mean it's not like I bought this car (or any car) to "fit in" with these losers who have their rich daddies buy them brand new 370Zs, but I just don't get why my car seems to be drawing so much unwanted attention. The only guys who seem to appreciate my car are the DSM guys. The sad thing is, my car is garnished the same way I had my SC300... lowered on coilovers, 18" XXR 522s (coming soon), a small bit of negative camber angle, single shot exhaust, Recaro seats, ect.

For the record (one again) I did not - nor did I ever intend - to buy this car to fit in with the guys in slammed Z cars who hang out at clubs, hold meets in parking structures, cruise around the mall to show off to girls, and wear clothing with I <3 JDM stamped on it somewhere. This question is about why the typical import guy doesn't like the 3S, and (more importantly) why I am getting so much crap for owning one.

All I'm really asking for is your opinions . Are they mad that our cars are so much more awesome than theirs ? Is it because there's a similar car with a Dodge logo on it (Stealth), and they therefore think our cars are "for muscle car guys"? I personally don't find the 3S a very hateable car (if that's even a word).

thanks!
-Felipe

P.S. I am 20 years old, right around their age and my VR4 is clean and looks good (not riced)

(edit): sorry for the lengthy and somewhat pointless question, lol. All this just got me thinking... so I decided to ask some fellow 3S owners what they thought.
FelipeFromColombia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2010, 11:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 91 vr4 atx awd
94ATXVR2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Default Re: Why 3S gets no respect...?

Because the american population is full of retards. They all listen to common hype and repeat it. It spreads like an illness. Whatever people read online is taken for fact and spread.

Current: 91 VR4 ATX - 10.71@123.9, 1.4 60ft Billet Dr650s, 11.61@115 (13g's), 2011 S1000RR 9.02@153, 1.4 60ft, 04R1 - 9.71@139, 1.6 60ft Retired: FWDTT -11.87@123 (17g's), 92 TSI AWD 10.61@125, 1.4 60ft (68HTA) VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/user/94atxvr2?feature=mhee More videos on my youtube page
94ATXVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2010, 11:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
OFWGKTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94ATXVR2 View Post
Because the american population is full of retards. They all listen to common hype and repeat it. It spreads like an illness. Whatever people read online is taken for fact and spread.
Excellent observation..... so true
I am even guilty of this. I bought my Passat thinking the "German engineering" would make it great. Well it sucks. Always something wrong with it. That's why I'm selling it. It's Vr4 or nothing
Old 12-16-2010, 11:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: '92 3000gt VR4
phil15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

I always get complements from people about my car. Except from Hondas for some reason. There probably just hating because there scared you'll blow their doors off.
phil15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2010, 11:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
OFWGKTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil15 View Post
I always get complements from people about my car. Except from Hondas for some reason. There probably just hating because there scared you'll blow their doors off.

I'm totally buying that. It's like a mailman who gets bit by a dog and then has nightmares about it and is afraid of dogs for the rest of his life, even if its a Yorkie. They have probably been pwn3d by a VR4/TT at one point in their life and are afraid of getting repeated beatings.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: '92 3000gt VR4
phil15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Yea no one ever forgets a VR4
phil15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2010, 11:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
OFWGKTA

Sorry to answer my own question, but it's probably important to note that all 3S haters are people who know nothing about them, have never driven one, and assume that our cars are junk because they are not constantly on the cover of Import Tuner.

Still would love to hear other opinions lol
Old 12-16-2010, 12:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
^ is a baaaus

Drives: 93 GTO
rileyh is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Oh, don't kid yourself. The 3000gt you own, will likely need a repair at some point in time. Thankfully, I haven't had to experience such things yet (surprisingly). Every model of vehicle has its problematic examples, perhaps your Passat was one of them.

I think a reason why 3SGTO's have not developed a substantial following like many others is because quite frankly, the owners often appear more faithful.

I know it seems awkward, but if you really think about it, the majority of other JDM cars often get traded, or sold quite frequently. I see it as a close parallel to superficial relationships in which the individuals desire a need, satisfy it, then move on. Same goes for the owners and their vehicles, although the vehicle obviously can't reciprocate the desire.

Whereas 3SGTO owners fall in love and stay relatively monogamous with it for an extensive period of time, somewhat imitatively to that of a marriage type relationship.

Now, I think the real question is what makes these cars appear inherently different from the rest? Is it the car that makes it peculiar, or is it the owner?

Well that was lengthy. But, a brief introduction to some possibilities, nonetheless.

Rileyh

93.8 GTO: To Install: Stage 3 Motor, Meth Injection, Setrab Oil Cooler, 99 Wing, Bomex front lip Installed: Billet 650s; ARC2; 550s; Type Flex Coils; IPS 4" Ti Exhaust; IPS Intercooler; Dunlop Direzza; Southbend Stg 4; soo much more
rileyh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2010, 12:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Aww just a base..

Drives: 95 awd tt, 99 Base
DigiiManDan3KGT is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

One word sums it up. "Unknown"

They have no idea about these cars. People fear the unknown.

Green 1995 3000GT // 15t Turbos // ATX to MTX // NA to TT // FWD to AWD // Purchased 11/12/02
White 1999 3000GT Black Dash/Tan Leather Interior // SOHC // MTX // Stock Daily Driver Purchased 7/25/07
DigiiManDan3KGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2010, 12:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
OFWGKTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyh View Post
Oh, don't kid yourself. The 3000gt you own, will likely need a repair at some point in time. Thankfully, I haven't had to experience such things yet (surprisingly). Every model of vehicle has its problematic examples, perhaps your Passat was one of them.

I think a reason why 3SGTO's have not developed a substantial following like many others is because quite frankly, the owners often appear more faithful.

I know it seems awkward, but if you really think about it, the majority of other JDM cars often get traded, or sold quite frequently. I see it as a close parallel to superficial relationships in which the individuals desire a need, satisfy it, then move on. Same goes for the owners and their vehicles, although the vehicle obviously can't reciprocate the desire.

Whereas 3SGTO owners fall in love and stay relatively monogamous with it for an extensive period of time, somewhat imitatively to that of a marriage type relationship.

Now, I think the real question is what makes these cars appear inherently different from the rest? Is it the car that makes it peculiar, or is it the owner?

Well that was lengthy. But, a brief introduction to some possibilities, nonetheless.

Rileyh
rileyh, that is extremely good insight... wow. Bravo, sir. Thank you for your intelligent reply. I never even thought of that. If you look on craigslist, you can find tons of 240s for sale/trade. They are always looking for something else, something newer, something cooler or faster, ect. how often do you see 3000GTs for trade? Never. I was watching Top Gear yesterday and they had this lady on the show from Britain's What Not To Wear show. Jeremy asked her if she has ever found herself impressed by cars. She answered: "Yes, I find some cars impressive, but it doesn't make me feel any differently about the owner." I feel like so many guys have this deluded notion that buying a sexy car with mainstream approval and appeal (*cough* Import Tuner *cough*) will somehow make them lucky with women. This idea is about as irrational as the idea that women buy clothes to impress guys. They don't. At least, that's what my girlfriend tells me. The pictures of the sexy Asian girls hanging all over those 350Zs on their TE37s is so misleading. The import tuning scene these days seems to broadcast that owning a car like that will get you women like that, and frankly, it doesn't. Not unless she's desperate or shallow.

As for 3S problems, yes I've had to fix a few things, but the car is almost 18 years old, where as my Passat is less than half its age. I find my 3000GT to be very rewarding to fix because I feel like I am preserving some kind of rare artifact, where as the Passat has the silliest things go wrong with it, the dealer has no idea whats going on, and its left me stranded on the way to work/school because of electrical meltdowns almost always having to do with the ECU and various sensors. The car is a 2004 with 88,xxx. I feel like it shouldn't have these problems yet, and we've taken good care of it (always garaged, strict routine maintenance, ect). And for what? A German badge?

In the Vr4, I've had to replace the front wiper motors, window alternators, timing belt tensioner, battery, alternator, fuel pump, and MAF, but it has been running perfectly since these repairs. I know it will eventually have something else that needs replacing, but for God's sake at least it hasn't let me down when I need to be somewhere important like my 6-year-old masterpiece of German engineering has great car, i just wish it had electrics designed by a human and not by an ape.

wow, I didn't mean for it to be this long. Sorry! lol
I can probably write a book on this, but I'll refrain...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > New Owner Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.