White Smoke From Engine (smells like gas) - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > New Owner Questions

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2010, 11:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 94' 3000GT SL
TheHitman Negative 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default White Smoke From Engine (smells like gas)

I have the infamous lifter tick which started bout a week ago and this morning when i started my car white smoke started coming out of the engine about a minute after starting it. when i opened my hood the smoke was coming form the back of the engine and was a pretty consistent amount and smelled like gasoline.

any ideas on what the problem could be?
TheHitman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2010, 11:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

David Hunt Negative 1
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
Default Re: White Smoke From Engine (smells like gas)

If it is from back of engine could be leaking valve cover gasket on to exhaust pipe. But if it is a automatic it could be burning transmission fluid thru the trans modulator valve. Does the water leval in radiator drop? D Hunt
David Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2010, 11:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1991-vr4, 2002mr2
DGvr4 is an unknown quantity at this point

If it is white smoke the most probable it is oil. Maybe you have an oil leak and the oil fell in the header or another very hot part of the engine. About the gas smell check the gas lines, injectors, etc. Or maybe a header or down pipe gasket? Does the car sounds louder than usual? I cant imagine any other relation between gas smell and white smoke.
DGvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2010, 12:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

TheHitman Negative 1

it could possibly be the down pipe leaking, there is also white smoke coming out the back as well. the down pipe (where it attaches to the exhaust manifold) i noticed did not have bolt heads only the rod part holding it together along with some rust (i noticed this several months back when i first started working on the car, no smoke at that time)

as for the car being louder than usual... it has always been really loud so i could not give an accurate answer to that question

i will have to take a look at that later. i'll get back to you on here once i can take a look at it
Old 01-29-2010, 11:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 94 3000GT
3KGTDiablo is an unknown quantity at this point

so you mean to say that your dp is not bolted to the manifold or that the manifold isnt bolted to the engine? either way that would be a cause for white exhaust smoke to be comming from there.

try plugging your tail pipe for a bit, if the exhaust isnt leaking your car wont be happy when you do, if it is leaking there should be no difference
Old 01-29-2010, 05:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

TheHitman Negative 1

I have found the problem... The flex pipe is completely snapped... and upon starting the car it releases alot of exhaust smoke (((maybe cause its cold as #### outside right now))) and about 5-10 minutes after idling the smoke subsides to a small amount and only comes out the tail pipes

i have no clue why it is coming back and up threw the engine compartment but it is...
Old 01-29-2010, 05:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

TheHitman Negative 1

and to answer your question the DP is connected to the manifold but the bolt heads are missing... idk what the last owner did to the car but there is an extreme amount of rust surrounding those bolts holding the DP into place... yet there is no leaking coming from where it connects with the manifold.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 92 stealth RT
pronz56m is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHitman View Post
and to answer your question the DP is connected to the manifold but the bolt heads are missing... idk what the last owner did to the car but there is an extreme amount of rust surrounding those bolts holding the DP into place... yet there is no leaking coming from where it connects with the manifold.
the bolts your speaking of dont have a "head" Its basically a two sided bolt you could call it. There are two sides of threads separated by a little gap of just metal. Half of the bolt screws into the manifold up to the thread separation (the metal gap) Then you would have the other half sticking out, which it what the DP slides over, and then is held on by nuts.

When you pull them off to change you flexpipe or whatnot the nut itself may come off, or the whole bolt may come out. It depends on how much corrosion is holding the nut on to the thread.

You defiantly dont want to break those bolts trying to get the DP off. Use heat if necessary, alot of penetrating oil wont hurt. When i work on something with alot of corrosion like that i back the nut or bolt out a couple turns, then thread it back in a little. It cleans out the threads of crap that may be binding up. It takes a little more time but its worth it.

BTW, you can get a replacement flexpipe for it for autozone or oriellys. Mine was 25 bucks, beets the price of a new DP. Their sitting on the shelf with all the exhaust pipe. Just cut the old one out and weld the new one in. Just make sure the overall length winds up the same.
pronz56m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2010, 06:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 92 stealth RT
pronz56m is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

here is what the bolt looks like..

pronz56m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2010, 11:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

TheHitman Negative 1

maybe i was remembering the bolts wrong. but when replacing my clutch with my current one i tried taking the down pipe off and couldnt get the backside off... the one thing i remember is the amount of corrosion (on those bolts) was massive and i couldnt break it free. there is currently no nuts on the end of those double sided bolts. heat will prolly end up being what i have to do if i go that route...

yeah a new DP is not cheap 240.00 from autozone... the only problem with welding a new one on there is no shop in town can get my car lifted at their shops and i dont own my own welder...

further along in the exhaust is a leak shooting out air as well... what do you suggest for patching/fixing that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > New Owner Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.