Transmission Reliability - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > New Owner Questions

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2015, 09:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

waldreps is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Transmission Reliability

My fiancee just bought a 1994 3000GT base model. As we were looking through the paperwork in the glove box, we noticed that at 75,000 miles a rebuilt transmission was put in. Then at 100,500, another rebuilt transmission was put in (at a different place than the first one). The car only has 300 miles on the latest transmission. We know about the most recent transmission that was put in but didn't know about the first replacement. Are these transmissions known to be so unreliable? I mean being on the 3rd transmission at just 100,800 miles is terrible. Any suggestions on making them last longer? This vehicle was owned by an older gentleman since new and was never driven in the winter. I wouldn't think he would have been hard on it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
waldreps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2015, 09:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
It's a dry heat!

Drives: 98 3KSL GenCoupe2.0T
captb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Transmission Reliability

We had about 80k on our Stealth when we sold it trans still worked like new, when you say rebuilt that leaves a lot of the unknown, I worked at a trans shop in the 70s they used all crap parts and many came back in a year or two.
captb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2015, 09:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

I guess I should have said remanufactured. The way both receipts were written, it led me to believe that they ordered a remanufactured transmission from somewhere and put it in but who knows. Regardless of the remanufactured aspect, the factory transmission should have never gone out at only 75,000 miles. To me that is terrible. I'm just curious if that is common to these cars. I guess I should have done more research before she bought this.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1991 RT TT
b_rad is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

the transmissions werent the best. you have a FWD car so at least you dont have to deal with AWD trannys which tend to get worn out more.

really it just depends how you drive it. if youre just having a daily driver that you keep up on maintenance then it should last a while. if a previous owner ran it hard then its not uncommon to have transmissions replaced/rebuilt that much.

I have a 93 3kgt with 57k miles and the transmission is barely worn and clutch is tight. it was owned by a doctor for its whole life and wasnt raced and garage kept. my 91 RT TT was clearly driven hard and it has a little bit of a 2nd gear grind and it has 107k miles and was owned by younger guys.

use common sense, dont drive it hard ( it is a base model after all and has very little power) and keep up on maintenance. theres no reason the transmission shouldnt last at least 50k miles before servicing.
1993 3000GT 59k

Prior Vehicles:
1995 Chrysler Lebaron, 1993 Chevy s10, 1988 Honda Prelude, 1995 BMW M3, 1998 BMW 323i 'vert, 1992 Lexus LS400, 1993 Stealth, 1995 Stealth, 1987 BMW 325i 'vert, 1994 Chevy s10, 1995 Mercury Grand Marquis, 1990 Toyota Camry, 1995 Ford Explorer (first car)
b_rad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2015, 06:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 99 VR-4, Ralliart SB
VR-4Madness is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldreps View Post
My fiancee just bought a 1994 3000GT base model. As we were looking through the paperwork in the glove box, we noticed that at 75,000 miles a rebuilt transmission was put in. Then at 100,500, another rebuilt transmission was put in (at a different place than the first one). The car only has 300 miles on the latest transmission. We know about the most recent transmission that was put in but didn't know about the first replacement. Are these transmissions known to be so unreliable? I mean being on the 3rd transmission at just 100,800 miles is terrible. Any suggestions on making them last longer? This vehicle was owned by an older gentleman since new and was never driven in the winter. I wouldn't think he would have been hard on it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I read this last night. I am not sure about credibility, but it is information.

"It is a common misconception that the 3000GT was equipped with a very weak transmission (which is technically a transaxle due to placement). Some even accuse it of being fabricated entirely of aluminum, which is quite ridiculous. This may stem from the fact that the external casing of the W5MG1 transmission was made of aluminum. The transmissions do have a tendency to fail, however this was not due to weakness or poor design. Rather this can be blamed on Mitsubishi’s poor deal with Getrag, the transmission manufacturer. In the agreement, Mitsubishi agreed to consider the transmissions “non-serviceable,” and instruct all their dealers to simply replace the entire transmission if there was ever a problem. Indeed, the factory service manual has a single page devoted to the Getrag transmission, saying exactly this. This of course generated significant increase in sales for Getrag, at the expense of the loyal owners one might add. The major problem with the transmission was the synchronizers (notably 1-2 and 2-3), coupled with the fact that Mitsubishi specified the wrong viscosity fluid for the transmission. Some even speculate that this fluid is the major reason for said failures. As a result, many 3000GTs have developed grinding synchronizers that sound terrible and cause mis-shifts. In some cases, switching to a modern synthetic like “synchromesh” or a combination of Redline fluids, has been known to cure the problem entirely, or at least ameliorate it significantly. The fluids also go a long way to preventing new transmissions from developing this problem. Unfortunately, Mitsubishi technicians and dealers either do not know this or do not tell their customers this. Instead they [correctly] suspect bad synchronizers, and the only course of action is to replace the entire transmission. Getrag also refused to offer parts to any transmission mechanics who tried to fix the problem. As a result, many a VR4 owner has had to replace their transmission, and the car has developed a bad reputation for such, however it is unfair to accuse the transmission of being weak. Until recently there were absolutely no internal modifications for the transmissions, which clearly means that all the 700 and 800 horsepower VR4s out there run with perfectly stock transmissions. Though output shafts breaking is a common occurrence at that level of power (as it is for all AWD cars with that kind of power), internal failure is virtually unheard of."

Mitsubishi 3000GT History | Mitsubishi 3000gt VR4 Modifications, Repairs, Manuals, and 16T turbos

I had a 1991 dodge stealth for a few years. I sold it with 139000 miles on it. It didn't have transmission problems, and I drove it hard fairly often. I then had a 1991 300GT VR-4. I had synchronizer issues towards the end (123k miles). I was hard on that car too, but I also didn't know about this potential transmission fluid problem.

So maybe use better transmission fluid just to be safe. Can anyone attest to this? Or what transmission fluid is right?
Old 06-29-2015, 09:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

One thing I should note that I didn't already is that my fiancee's car has an automatic transmission and I'm specifically asking about the automatic. Maybe they had the same attitude toward it and simply replaced the whole transmission. Her car was previously owned by an older gentleman since new which would lead you to believe that he wasn't hard on the car but I guess that can't be totally certain.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Keep'n 'em spooled

Drives: at high g's
Turbo Powered Level 1Turbo Powered Level 1Turbo Powered Level 1
Feedback Score: 71 reviews

All things being equal, automatics generally don't last as long as manuals simply because of their complexity and the number of moving parts. That being said, the main power components in the automatics in the FWD's are pretty robust, many people have done twin turbo conversions on them and only did two mods: a shift kit (for quicker shifting) and bigger oil cooler. I suspect the 2nd tranny that didn't last very long was not a quality rebuild.
Turbo Powered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2015, 10:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Yeah, I would guess that too but what about the stock transmission....only 75,000 miles? That's terrible...unless it was really beat on or neglected. This car is in perfect shape, never driven in the winter, and was owned by an older man who most likely babied it. That just worries me. Maybe the stock transmission just happened to be a bad one like the 2nd one.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
Wheee! 2 wheels is fun!

Drives: Various Japanese
speedy25 Level 1speedy25 Level 1speedy25 Level 1
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldreps View Post
One thing I should note that I didn't already is that my fiancee's car has an automatic transmission and I'm specifically asking about the automatic.
I was hoping you would clarify that.

The transmissions are as good as the owner taking care of it or the rebuilder that assembled it.

Something DUMB like not checking the fluid level right can kill one, with another thing on the top of the kill list is using cheap crap fluid.

Check it hot in NEUTRAL.

I bought a rebuilt one from a member on here to replace one the previous stupid owner drove with no fluid after a hose leaked. No problems.

These care are pretty good, but age is killing them along with current crop of owners who beat the crap out of them and then whine when it breaks.

Drive it. Maintain it. Enjoy it.

-SP
speedy25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2015, 10:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 99 VR4, 95 tt FWD
thomasson5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

The F4A33, FWD ATX transmission used in our cars, does have a bad reputation. The use of correct fluids in these transmissions is crucial. I have 3 DD's with this transmission including one TT conversion. My daughters 97 sl has over 60,000 miles since I rebuilt the transmission just over 5 years ago. Total mileage on her cars registers 212,xxx miles. Drove her car yesterday and shifts are still crisp without slip. Guess my point is that I have no issues with the F4A33 even running 12 lbs of boost through my TT converted ATX car. Proper maintenance and the use of the correct fluids and you should see 90,000+ miles from these units. That has been my experience. Why your car has had 3 units leads one to believe they were not properly maintained, were improperly installed (cooler and lines not flushed when r&r was done?) or were not remanned properly. Just my guess. GL
Lincoln
thomasson5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > New Owner Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:
Real Name(First & Last)
(Required/Hidden)
Mailing Address(Street)
(Required/Hidden)
City
(Required/Hidden)
State
(Required/Hidden)
Zip
(Required/Hidden)
Country