timing belt broke.. what are my chances of severe engine damage? - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > New Owner Questions

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2002, 12:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Eddie N is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Default timing belt broke.. what are my chances of severe engine damage?

let this be an example to those who elect to prolong the 60k service a few thousand miles..

about a month back i was driving my car and noticed the temp gauge quite a bit higher than normal ... being that i had been having overheating problems prior to this occurrence i pulled over quickly and got out.. to my surprise, i wasnt smelling overheated antifreeze, but instead, burning rubber... i noticed a good amount of smoke coming from the right side of the engine compartment..

being that i was about 2 miles from home, i figured i could possibly limp back home to take a better look.. i restarted the car, made a u turn, and 300 ft later the car died completely.. i ended up pushing the car home...

now, a month later, i was finally able to inspect the damage.. i popped off the timing belt covers and this is what i found:

not pretty.. the gears turn (or at least rock, i didnt want to turn them) and i hope thats a good sign.. i tried turning this "other thing" that didnt turn, and im guessing that this "other thing" is the water pump.. here is my very ill-educated diagnosis..

due to me being a procrastinating dummass, my water pump started to fail, which was causing my overheating problem.. finally, the water pump failed completely, which caused the water pump pulley (do our cars even have a water pump pulley?) to seize completely, which in turn caused friction on the timing belt causing it to burn up..

hopefully someone can either confirm or deny my very non educated guess.. heres a picture of the "other thing" which i suspect to be part of the water pump...

now, ive also read numerous times that a failed timing belt usually results in bent valves and holy pistons... i did not hear any noises that would red flag metal on metal before the car died, but i know that probably doesnt mean much.. is there any way to find out if i did serious damage short of replacing the timing chain?

heres a close up picture of the timing gears (if thats what they're called).. what position should the little yellow cirlces just inside the gearteeth be at? this is where they were after taking off the covers and after some slight fidgeting on my part..

is this bad? since im going to be in there anyway, im going to do the entire 60k service (better late than never)..

ive read the tutorials for doing the 60k so i have a question.. do i really need the timing belt tensioner tool?? i mentioned it to a supposed import mechanic and he had no clue what i was talking about...

i can probably do a search, but while im here, where is the best place to order everything i need for the 60k service? i also need to order the repair manual for my car... any tips?

what a mess, hopefully i didint screw up too much..

thanks for all the advice, it is greatly appreciated...

- eddie -
Eddie N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2002, 01:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

ILanda is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

damn thats what I worry about two I have had my tranny, ECU ,thermostat go on me I gotta do my 60K service.
oh BTW that other part is the water pump was that the part that was not working?
It looks like to me that your timing belt didnt snap? there then you are very lucky,
I think you had a faulty water pump that was gradualy wearing away the timing belt.
Was your car overheating? like temp guage at H? when you drove for the second time?
Also you need to replace the tensionser pulleys as well
ILanda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2002, 03:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
It's like that

KingNothing is an unknown quantity at this point

Why does it matter if it didn't snap? It's as thick as a shoe lace now...
3SI Member #705
KingNothing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2002, 08:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
14.1 @ 100mph N/A

WICKEDDREW is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: -4 reviews

Eddie---I think your diagnosis is dead on. The water pump pulley should rotate (that IS the water pump pulley). You may have gotten lucky and not bent any valves. I did the first time my belt jumped last week, and now I'm in the same boat you're in and hoping i got lucky again. You need to pull the 3 front spark plugs and look inside the spark plug holes. See if you see anything out of the ordinary. Check the spark plugs for damage. Then go get a compression gause ($20) and check your compresssion. If you have a bent valve it will show up on the test. At the least, You can do a 60K tuneup, and at the worst, you'll need some new valves ($20 each). You WILL need the tensioner tool. See if a mechanic at your local Mitsu dealer will loan you one. You can buy one at 3sxperformance.com if you wish.

Good luck!
Old 04-16-2002, 11:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 92VR4,92&94StelthTTs
Rick92VR4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy I think it's bad

Sorry Eddie, I think it's a bid difference between jumping a few teeth and having the belt go entirely with the engine running. If it was at idle you may get luck, but I would expect bent valves. I would not expect holes in the pistons unless you were at high revs. Best of luck and I hope I am wrong.
Rick92VR4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2002, 11:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

Mutilator is an unknown quantity at this point

How many miles are on your engine now?
I wanna know how long I have until I have to really start to worry
Mutilator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2002, 07:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Eddie N is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

i posted a long reply here a few hours ago, but it just disappeared.. dont have time to retype it now, but i will a little later..
Eddie N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2002, 10:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 99 VR4
SHiVeR-91VR4 Level 1SHiVeR-91VR4 Level 1
Feedback Score: 114 reviews

it doesnt sound good....any time the belt goes your lookin for major damage. But the pump not turning? It should be fairly easy to turn and it is the water pump in that picture. Do the compression test and then if (hopefully) everything is ok, go ahead and do the 60k service. You do need the tensioner, this is what keeps the timing belt from slacking up. You will also need:

new water pump
timing belt
while your at it:
a/c belt
power steering belt

i think thats about it. It should take around 8 hrs or so? I cant really remember but its hard as hell to get your hands in there. good luck again.
SHiVeR-91VR4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2002, 10:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
JEEP 4X4

BIGKASH is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

how do you do a compression test with no timming belt ?
will he cause more damage by turning the engine and pistons will hit the valves...mabey a leak down test instead ?
Old 04-17-2002, 06:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

hrusky17 is an unknown quantity at this point

to all the people that have had the timing belts go out on them...how many miles were on your cars? i have about 63,000 and have the parts, i'm just trying to scape enough money together to get them installed because i don't trust my self with something so important to get done right

mods:
K&N FIPK
Greddy type-S BOV
manual boost controller @ 14-15 psi
dual A pillar pods for boost gauge and air/fuel
gapped down platinum spark plugs and magnecor 8.5mm wires
stillen downpipe
custom stainless steel 3in cat-less exhaust
aftermarket y-pipe
EGR block off plates
DXD 6-puck clutch
cross drilled/slotted rotors
semi-metallic brake pads
what next?
hrusky17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > New Owner Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.