Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Teach me about RPM Limiter

1K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  hitemup21 
#1 ·
Okay I've heard mentions of the RPM Limiter.

Do all 3/S's have 'em? N/A and TT?

Can I get a semi-in depth explanation of what it does and why?
That means no smart-ass answers!)

Just wondering.. My foot slipped while driving hard on the highway, trying to shift into 5th, from 4th... RPM's shot up to 9K, which is higher than I've ever had 'em, and a LOT higher than I want to go :)

Thanks!

#2 ·
9K??????

Sounds like something's wrong.
Anyway, a rev-limiter is a computer controlled function in the car. When the engines rpms excede the redline by a certain margine, the computer controlled fuel injection cuts off the fuel flow to prevent the car form over-reving and possibly becomeing a very big paperweight. However, the limiter in an sl/rtna should be at about 7800. It's very strange that: 1, it didn't stop fuel there, and 2, You still have an engine.
You are one very lucky individual.
BTW: Yes, all 3s cars have a rev-limiter.

#3 ·
OK, thanks! good explanation... So basically it prevents me/us from blowing up our engine by just laying ont he gas past what the motor can take. I think I shot up that high because I was in neutral with my foot on the gas... but my limiter shoulda cut me off at 8K-isk? Hell redline is 7K. hrmm... one more thing to worry about, I guess :)

#4 ·
Unless your engine is a smoldering piece of shit right now i'm betting that you didn't hit 9k RPMS. Fuel cutoff occurs at 7200 on some models and i believe on a couple models/years it's 7300, but your engine will not hit 9k and stay healthy...hell it wouldn't have done it at all, the engine would have cut way before that.

#5 ·
I wanna call B.S. on that last post. Yeah, if you drove around at 9K rpm's for a while you are gonna have engine damage, but IF there was no fuel cuttoff and you hit 9K rpm's for half a sec your engine would be perfectly fine. You can do things to get rid of the rev limiter, and i remember one guy on here with dyno results of his car at like 11K rpms at a certain level of boost. With things like upgraded valve springs and stuff you can go a lot higher.

#6 ·
Stealth1109 said:
Unless your engine is a smoldering piece of shit right now i'm betting that you didn't hit 9k RPMS

Don't make bets you can't afford to lose.

your engine will not hit 9k and stay healthy

My car hit a theoretical 12,000rpm during a misshift(1st gear at 75mph), and the only damage was a shredded clutch disc and the timing belt jumped a couple teeth on the cam gears. The car is fine now that I installed a new clutch disc and reset the timing belt
Jezzabelle said:
the limiter in an sl/rtna should be at about 7800.

It's 7300rpm +/-100rpm

#8 · (Edited)
TajMan_17 said:
I wanna call B.S. on that last post. Yeah, if you drove around at 9K rpm's for a while you are gonna have engine damage, but IF there was no fuel cuttoff and you hit 9K rpm's for half a sec your engine would be perfectly fine. You can do things to get rid of the rev limiter, and i remember one guy on here with dyno results of his car at like 11K rpms at a certain level of boost. With things like upgraded valve springs and stuff you can go a lot higher.

You can't mishift to 1st gear from 5th gear?? Heck, even you are from 3rd gear...there's no way you can shift into 1st gear.....cause it will be real hard to do so. There's is actually a force pushing back against you. The only way you can do that is you used brute strength when shifting....but still the gears won't lock. From my own experience......1st gear just won't sits in unless the car is slow enough.

#12 ·
I'm not calling b.s. about the rev limiter or if the car would ever rev that high. I was just saying that if you remove the limiter and you DO rev that high, it will not instantly blow up your engine. Drew confirmed this so I'm not just saying stuff.

#13 ·
ckahkiat said:

You can't mishift to 1st gear from 5th gear?? Heck, even you are from 3rd gear...there's no way you can shift into 1st gear.....cause it will be real hard to do so. There's is actually a force pushing back against you. The only way you can do that is you used brute strength when shifting....but still the gears won't lock. From my own experience......1st gear just won't sits in unless the car is slow enough.
You are wrong, sorry

#14 ·
I'm not calling b.s. about the rev limiter or if the car would ever rev that high. I was just saying that if you remove the limiter and you DO rev that high, it will not instantly blow up your engine. Drew confirmed this so I'm not just saying stuff.

i agree with you completely. one over rev isn't going to destroy you engine. i doubt 100 over revs would destroy your engine. constantly red lining you car for long constant periods of time will, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.