Stock Suspension/Alignment Issues - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > New Owner Questions

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2012, 07:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: Mitsu 92 VR4
Rom3BreaK is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Default Stock Suspension/Alignment Issues

Hey guys, I'm not really a new member, but more or less a suspension noob so here we go:

Took the car to sears after installing new front ecs struts and here are the specs:
LF camber -0.3*
LF caster 3.6*
LF toe 0.01*

RF camber -0.6* (out of spec, max adjusted)
RF caster 2.3* (out of spec, not adjustable - rounded bolt)
RF toe -.03*

Total Front Toe -0.04*
Steer Ahead 0.01*

LR camber -0.3*
LR toe -0.07*

RR camber -0.5*
RR toe 0.12*

Total Rear Toe 0.04*
Rear Thrust angle -0.10

Now, my issues are that the LF tire is wearing rapidly on the outside shoulder, and my RF tire is wearing VERY rapidly on the inside shoulder.

So my main question is, how the hell do I fix this odd wearing problem? And does anybody know the part # for the caster adjustment bolt (is it adjustable on these cars? After searching a little I read that it wasn't...)?

I could maybe search for hours and maybe find my answers, but I'm very short on time these days!
Thanks so much for any and all help, it's much appreciated before I wear through my new tires!
1992 VR4, Java Black Pearl paint ('04 STI) with combo '92/'96/'99 custom front end, Fittipaldi Force or 5Zigen FNO1-RC wheels in the summer, RPS Max pressure plate with street disk, HKS EVC Black Limited, No cats, Tanabe knockoff downpipe, Single Turbo Flamer fabricated 3" cat back, Greddy type RS recirculating BOV, K&N intake, DNP hard pipe intercooler kit, DNP pre-turbo intake pipes, 3sx fuel pump hotwire, Fuel rail loop, AEM AFPR, Fuel rail adapter & pressure gauge, Vacuum reduction - all silicone plumbing, EGR block off plates, '99 Lifters, Cianci front & rear strut bars, HHH data logging
Rom3BreaK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2012, 10:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wheee! 2 wheels is fun!

Drives: Various Japanese
speedy25 Level 1speedy25 Level 1speedy25 Level 1
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Default Re: Stock Suspension/Alignment Issues

FWD cars ALWAYS wear the inside of the tire. Thats why its important to rotate them on a regular basis. I think you are saying that your wear is much more severe than typical.

I personally do think there is a Sears store that can do ANYTHING correctly on a car. Please find a REAL alignment shop (not one of the chain stores!) and show them what you got. They are much more experienced to show you what may be wrong. It could be the sears alignment or worn parts. Our cars typically have LOTS of worn parts because of their age.

A good shop will probably have an assortment of bolts to replace your bad one.

-SP
speedy25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 07:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: GTO TT, Merc E320
StealthUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

When I first bought my car many years ago I suffered edge wear constantly despite having the settings checked many times.

Eventually I tried running slightly higher tyre pressures of 35psi on all 4 tyres (my car is on standard 17 inch wheels and tyre sizes) and all problems went away, I still run those pressures now with no adverse effects to handling.

StealthUK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012, 07:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Flasher

Drives: VR4 | SL | R/T
TwIzTeD_3kGt Level 2TwIzTeD_3kGt Level 2TwIzTeD_3kGt Level 2TwIzTeD_3kGt Level 2TwIzTeD_3kGt Level 2
Feedback Score: 23 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom3BreaK View Post
Hey guys, I'm not really a new member, but more or less a suspension noob so here we go:

Took the car to sears after installing new front ecs struts and here are the specs:
LF camber -0.3*
LF caster 3.6*
LF toe 0.01*

RF camber -0.6* (out of spec, max adjusted)
RF caster 2.3* (out of spec, not adjustable - rounded bolt)
RF toe -.03*

Total Front Toe -0.04*
Steer Ahead 0.01*

LR camber -0.3*
LR toe -0.07*

RR camber -0.5*
RR toe 0.12*

Total Rear Toe 0.04*
Rear Thrust angle -0.10

Now, my issues are that the LF tire is wearing rapidly on the outside shoulder, and my RF tire is wearing VERY rapidly on the inside shoulder.

So my main question is, how the hell do I fix this odd wearing problem? And does anybody know the part # for the caster adjustment bolt (is it adjustable on these cars? After searching a little I read that it wasn't...)?

I could maybe search for hours and maybe find my answers, but I'm very short on time these days!
Thanks so much for any and all help, it's much appreciated before I wear through my new tires!
Is the car lowered? There's so much adjustment for positive front camber on a stock height car I have a real hard time believing it's maxed. Even lowered a few inches, front camber can be brought into spec. Maybe that was the angle they couldn't adjust because of the rounded bolt? Which brings the question, did they round it or was it rounded beforehand?

Caster is not adjustable, nor is it a tire wearing angle.

Those specs shouldn't wear out the inside edge of your tires, at least not much, but who knows if the guy aligning it decided to fudge the data. Are you sure you don't have any loose ball joints or control arm bushings? They should have checked before they aligned it, but again, who knows if the guy doing it knew to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy25 View Post
FWD cars ALWAYS wear the inside of the tire.
-SP
Negative.

1997 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 - IPS 19T-L 93-Octane 20psi ~430awhp * PTE 550cc * Denso Supra Pump w/ STM Hot-wire Kit * SXP FPR@34psi * Coppers@.024 * Jester Dedd's PnP Flash ECU w/ Chrome V2 * Wiseco 8:1 +.035" * 3SX Rods * Iron-Disc Dual-Trapped-Springs 6-Puck Clutch w/ OEM PP * PMP FMIC * K&N FIPK * Montero MAF * Hallman Pro MBC * Greddy Type-S * Stillen DP w/ M2 CB * STM D2 Custom Coilovers * Maximal T-Case Brace & Solid F&R MM * AEM UEGO * Self-Tuned * 3-season DD * ~3,640lbs. Curb Weight
1993 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 - Not sure yet.
1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL - Maximal Single-Shot Exhaust - Wife's 3-Season DD
1994 Dodge Stealth R/T - Restoration Project
TwIzTeD_3kGt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012, 08:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwIzTeD_3kGt View Post
Is the car lowered? No, stock ride height There's so much adjustment for positive front camber on a stock height car I have a real hard time believing it's maxed. Even lowered a few inches, front camber can be brought into spec. Maybe that was the angle they couldn't adjust because of the rounded bolt? Which brings the question, did they round it or was it rounded beforehand? Camber adjustment is on the lower strut mount, right? I just installed new struts- nuts and bolts were fine. I did check the bolts there and it really is at max adjustment. I don't think they rounded the caster bolt, I think Firestone did it years ago IIRC.

Caster is not adjustable, nor is it a tire wearing angle.

Those specs shouldn't wear out the inside edge of your tires, at least not much, but who knows if the guy aligning it decided to fudge the data. Are you sure you don't have any loose ball joints or control arm bushings? They should have checked before they aligned it, but again, who knows if the guy doing it knew to do so.

I do think I have a front end worn suspension member somewhere at this point, I installed new front struts and upper bearings to eliminate a clunking that sounded an awful lot like clunking struts. Some of the clunking was taken care of but I still have some noise occurring. To me visibly nothing looked worn underneath the car, but again I don't necessarily know everywhere I should be looking. I plan to inspect again Tuesday night (can't do this stuff at my apartment building).
Thank you!
-Caleb
Old 04-22-2012, 09:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Flasher

TwIzTeD_3kGt Level 2TwIzTeD_3kGt Level 2TwIzTeD_3kGt Level 2TwIzTeD_3kGt Level 2TwIzTeD_3kGt Level 2

Just to be clear, there is no 'caster bolt'.

The camber adjustment is where you said, the eccentric bolt that holds the strut to the steering knuckle. If it's truly maxed while at the stock ride height, then something is wrong with your car, as in it's been in an accident and something is bent (frame, knuckle, etc.). Again to be clear, maxed out would mean: With both knuckle bolts loose, you cannot pull the top of the steering knuckle outwards any further.

I suppose it could be a case of the struts you used do not have a large enough slot for proper adjustment. What brand did you use?

To check for play in the front steering/suspension components, get the front wheels in the air, grab the wheel at 9:00 and 3:00 and shake back and forth. It should feel tight, if it moves freely/clicks/clunks, pinpoint whether its a bad ball joint, inner tie rod, outer tie rod, or lower control arm bushing that is the culprit. Then grab the wheel at 12:00 and 6:00 and shake to check for bearing play. If anything is loose your alignment will change at will, depending on what postion the loose part is in.

And for the clunking, take a look at your sway bar end links, and sway bar bushings. Common culprit for clunking. Give them a good shake up and down while holding on to the bar, it shouldn't move.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Verified Seller

The camber adjustment is indeed maxed out. I think the previous owner may have hit a curb hard or something, the odd thing is it seems to be getting worse, as I've driven it for 60k + miles and tire wear wasn't really this bad before now.

OEM ECS struts were used.

Here's a couple videos from today, I certainly found the source of clunking - bad sway bar bushings. Also discovered the boot right near it quite a bit out of sorts...clamps on solid and boot is sealed everywhere, just not really on properly.
Would you call the 9&3 movement in the video "free play"? It did take some muscle to turn the wheel like that, and the clunking seems to be from the strut when the wheel reaches the rotational limit. I didn't see any unusual movement in any other suspension components.

Sway Bar Bushing Test:

Wheel Play Test:

Is there anything else I can do to solve my wheel wear/misalignment issue?
Old 04-24-2012, 10:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wheee! 2 wheels is fun!

The twisted boot is caused by a careless alignment person.

Replace your sway bar bushings and take your car to a GOOD shop like I wrote before. They will show you whats wrong and what needs to be done. You should see a BIG difference in knowledge/service from what you are used to at Sears and Firestone!

-SP
Old 04-25-2012, 03:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
Flasher

Looks like your steering wheel was locked when you shook it, should be unlocked. Just a light shake will let you know, shouldn't use enough force to turn the steering wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy25 View Post
The twisted boot is caused by a careless alignment person.

Replace your sway bar bushings and take your car to a GOOD shop like I wrote before. They will show you whats wrong and what needs to be done. You should see a BIG difference in knowledge/service from what you are used to at Sears and Firestone!

-SP
Got something against my shop? A shop is only as good as the tech working there. A good tech can work anywhere, so can a bad one.

But yes, that boot is twisted because whoever aligned it didn't bother removing the clamp to allow the inner tie rod to spin without twisting the boot. Judging by that, I think whoever aligned it is an idiot. You should get a second alignment done and ask to see the specs of where it's at before they adjust anything.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wheee! 2 wheels is fun!

No mailice intended twizted.

Your shop may be one of the good ones than can do a good job, but the reputation and skills of MOST of the chain service shops is not very good, especially for alignments. Personally I know when parts are worn, but I have taken good vehicles just to be aligned and been given an estimate for parts that were almost new or with no wear and been told they needed to be replaced. The real alignment shops would do the work with no problem after inspection, or shown me something I may have missed.

I hope the OP finds a good shop that will find his problems and give him a proper alignment.

-SP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > New Owner Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.