speedometer not working... - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > New Owner Questions

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2010, 01:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 02 WRX
atenzany62 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Default speedometer not working...

when i start the engine up the speedo goes up to like 60kmph(canadian car). and when i shut the car off the speedo drops to like 20kmph and stays... when the car is moving the speedo gets stuck at like 60 or 80 i forgot. what could be the cause? the previous owner told me it has to be recalibrated...

i was going to just get another cluster that matches my mileage in usdm miles, but then again if its a speed sensor problem a new cluster wont do, right? so could it be the speed sensor? btw the tachometer and other indicators on the cluster works fine.
05 Dodge SRT-4 - Sold
94 Dodge Stealth RT turbo - Gladly Gone
95 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 - Pampena 3.1L, Volks, 97 front with CF splitter etc. - Gladly Sold
02 Infiniti Q45 sport package - Custom molded WALD lip, 18" Enkei 2011 Maxima wheels - Sold
04 Honda S2000 - Invidia Q300 catback, Invidia test pipe, CT Engineering intake, Mugen replica lip - Sold
04 BMW Z4 3.0i - M3 CSL wheels, CF lip, flat black grille - Sold
04 Nissan 350z touring - Nismo V2, 19" Rays - Sold
98 Honda Accord - Current DD lol
atenzany62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2010, 12:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Green crack potato

Drives: Turbo Timebomb
Ben_Pow!! is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Default Re: speedometer not working...

I would say the needle needs re-positioned, but it freezing around 60 or 80 doesn't make sense. I would 1st try re-positioning, if that doesn't work, I would say it's the speed sensor, located on the tranny, near the slave cylinder. The spiral wiring that drives the needle is also fragile, I've had one sprung a little and it all went to hell. It's easy to remove the cluster. Unscrew the 4 screws holding the plastic trim on, hten unscrew the 4 screws holding the cluster in, and out it comes. Un-clip the plastic face, then place the cluster back in and go for a drive and go side by side w/ a friend at a set speed, then pull off the needle and re-position it.
Forged Wiseco Pistons : Forged Crank : 99' Lash Adjusters : Custom 3" Exaust, Deleted Cats : (2)Hotwired Walbro 255's: FPR : FMIC : TurboXS H-RFL BOV : TD04HL-19T's : Denso 720cc : PalmIII w/pocketlogger software : Speed Density MAFT Pro : E-85 :

The only thing that old bag is fighting is the angel of death as he moon walks into the bedroom carrying a pillow with two handles. -Jim Norton

I know a guy with a foxbody (none the less) that once said my TT stealth was and I quote "a big pussy 'cause its got a weedeater motor and can't do no burnout". -BondoB
Ben_Pow!! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2010, 11:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Stealthmode93

Drives: Stealth FWD-TT
Stealthmode93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

I am having the same issue. When I turn on the key the speedo jumps to 50 and sticks, sonetimes it sits at about 20 when off. Other times it goes to 0. My tach is very jumpy and not smooth, also the gas guage isnt working. I had removed the dash and had it fiberglassed and painted and I also installed guage faces. when I put on the faces the speedo and gas guage needles popped off. What is my problem? Please help someone.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 02 WRX
atenzany62 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

i dont think my gas gauge works either, its just at "full" but the tachometer and all idiot lights works though.
atenzany62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2010, 11:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Green crack potato

Drives: Turbo Timebomb
Ben_Pow!! is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthmode93 View Post
I am having the same issue. When I turn on the key the speedo jumps to 50 and sticks, sonetimes it sits at about 20 when off. Other times it goes to 0. My tach is very jumpy and not smooth, also the gas guage isnt working. I had removed the dash and had it fiberglassed and painted and I also installed guage faces. when I put on the faces the speedo and gas guage needles popped off. What is my problem? Please help someone.

Take out the cluster, pull the gauge faces completely off and inspect the mechanics underneath. Pay close attention to the spiraled wire that turns the needles, make sure they are okay. 1st thing is 1st, keep the outter plastic cover off and re-install the cluster and start driving. Pull out the needles and place them where they need to be and see what happens. I would guess the speedo just needs re-set. If you set it w/ the power off, technically the needle would sit past the stopper post quite a ways, which is why the car needs to be running when you plug in the needle. I don't know about the tach. If the gas gauge isn't working, you can check by removing the fuel pump sending unit, and manually moving the fuel level arm up & down and watching the gauge, it may be stuck, or just shot.
Ben_Pow!! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2010, 11:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Stealthmode93

Drives: Stealth FWD-TT
Stealthmode93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

I think I may have a bad connection in one of the dash harness plugs because i took a fingernail file and scuffed all the pins in the plugs, then used brakeclean and a q-tip to clean them all off. I thought they might have had som overspray on them. The gas guage started working and the tach smoothed out after I did this. I left it sit for about 15 min. and started the car again. Now the tach is jumping, cnat tell if the gas guage is working and the speedo is still the same. All the lights in the cluster work. I've been scratching my head alot on this one.
Stealthmode93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > New Owner Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.