question about JDM NA AWD - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > New Owner Questions

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2012, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
OFWGKTA

Drives: 2008 Lexus IS-F
FelipeFromColombia is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default question about JDM NA AWD

So I've been losing some sleep lately about buying another 3S ever since I drove my brother's Stealth the other day. I am really considering getting another one.

I found a true JDM 1991 GTO with RHD for sale just up the road from me. It is in pretty good shape with a straight body and a functional drivetrain. Issue is, it's an auto, naturally aspirated AWD. Sounds like a recipe for epic slowness. The price is low enough that I would basically just be using it as a shell with no intention of keeping the drivetrain as is.

I am having trouble finding true info on these JDM NA AWD cars. They are like unicorns.
Question is,
1. Are they basically the same thing as a VR4, just with an NA engine instead of a turbo engine? In other words, they have the double wishbone suspension in the rear as opposed to the multilink that is on the normal FWD NA?
2. Would the aftermarket suspension parts for a VR4 swap in? (ex: Coilovers, brakes, control arms, camber kits, ect)

I am fairly confident I can swap the drivetrain parts in (ex: TT motor, 6 speed + manual conversion, differentials, ect) as long as the basic shell is the same. I know it would be cheaper to simply buy a VR4 but I want the RHD, and doing a swap would give me time to inspect the parts as I assemble the car, allowing me to get any preventative maintenance out of the way beforehand.

Thanks guys
FelipeFromColombia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2012, 01:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Always Learning

Drives: 2013 WRX Prem 4D WRB
mikeyVR4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Default Re: question about JDM NA AWD

I have my OEM suspension (non-ecs) from my VR4 with only about 50k on them just laying in the garage.
mikeyVR4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2012, 01:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
OFWGKTA

haha oh but believe me, I want aftermarket

just wondering if I would need to buy NA coilovers or VR4 coilovers. Maybe neither one fits on these NA AWD cars?

They seem a bit strange and not much seems to be known about them, at least not that is voiced publicly.

I also just thought of something else, do these things have AWS?
Old 06-02-2012, 10:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: GTO & RS Cosworth
GTOtt-Stu is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fairly common over here mate....try signing up to a UK forum for answers, GTOOC - GTO/3000GT Owners Club • Index page is a free use one

GTOOC.org Car Of The Month March 2012. 3Si.org Ride Of The Month June 2012. 2nd place in the www.gtooc.org Dave "Hwoarang" Dude awards 2012.
344.5bhp/385lbft 360cc/9b currently....
GTOtt-Stu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
BC3S

Drives: 90 GTO TT
rez604 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

they have a modified awd transmission to fit the dsm transfercase. the rear diff is also from the dsm. the axles and drive shaft are specific to the n/a gto. the SR had aws. the base gto does not.
the suspension is the same, a vr4 drivetrain swaps right in (no need to weld or cut or add anything). you would have to swap everything from trany to front axles all the way back to the rear axles. the frame of the n/a is the same as the MR (z15a, awd tt etc etc).

what your planning is exactly what i will be doing at a later date, getting a mint SR for CHEAP and swapping all my stuff over.

-=[the GTO bible]=- - Canada 3/S Community
Old 06-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
OFWGKTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rez604 View Post
they have a modified awd transmission to fit the dsm transfercase. the rear diff is also from the dsm. the axles and drive shaft are specific to the n/a gto. the SR had aws. the base gto does not.
the suspension is the same, a vr4 drivetrain swaps right in (no need to weld or cut or add anything). you would have to swap everything from trany to front axles all the way back to the rear axles. the frame of the n/a is the same as the MR (z15a, awd tt etc etc).

what your planning is exactly what i will be doing at a later date, getting a mint SR for CHEAP and swapping all my stuff over.

-=[the GTO bible]=- - Canada 3/S Community
Wow dude that pretty much covers it all. Thanks!

I was supposed to make the trip today to look at the car but I'm sick. Should still be around after I get better. Super excited, it will be my first RHD vehicle

Even if the papers on this car are faulty and not legit, I can use the front clip for a conversion. Please excuse my fascination with RHD lol. Should be a good project. Thanks for your help
Old 06-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
-Driftus Maximus-

Drives: '92 Stealth ES
Nationalmilkman is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

I too am a RHD wanna be! But RHD is harder to find in the US.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > New Owner Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.