Possibly buying a 3000GT this week, tell me what to do. - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > New Owner Questions

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1999 3000GT base
Nick H is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Possibly buying a 3000GT this week, tell me what to do.

So as of wednesday this week, I will have finally saved up enough to begin seriously looking for a ride. Im looking to get a base model 1999 3000GT.

My first choice is at a dealer about an hour away from me;
1999 Mitsubishi 3000Gt GT For Sale In Troutman NC 28166 - Affordable Auto Group
I don't really have much experience with dealers, so let me know if you spot any red flags in the add or if there is something I should look out for while checking it out myself.

Option 2:
Mitsubishi : 3000GT 3000GT in Mitsubishi | eBay Motors
Happen to spot this one on ebay, its a bit too far from me to check out in person, which could be a problem. Also, I have no clue how much it costs to have a car shipped, but I know it's potentially a lot.

Any advice/tips/shared knowledge will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Nick.
Nick H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 06:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: Trailblazer SS
CarthageGT is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Default Re: Possibly buying a 3000GT this week, tell me what to do.

156k miles is a lot. I'd personally find one with less mileage it will probably need a good tune up 120k and what not.
CarthageGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
ATL

Drives: 29 and counting
MK_94_3000GT Level 1MK_94_3000GT Level 1
Feedback Score: 163 reviews

I would first advise not to move too quickly. I can't tell you how many people(myself included) should have waited and researched more. If you want a 99 that's great good year, looks great.

What are your plans for this car? Daily driver? Do you want to mod it? Weekend fun car? All depends on that. Based on those answers you can go a few different ways, the SOHC is easy and a basic workhorse. The motors run forever, even if the timing belt snaps, just slap a new one on and keep going.

The DOHC motors in say a 99 SL are a better starting point if you plan to mod the car as TT parts bolt on and there is just more out there For them. Of course their motors aren't near as bulletproof-ish as the SOHC. Theses motors have to be taken better care of.

With these cars always check the oil pan for dents, it's a common problem and the destruction of many engines. Check for rust, if there is a lot run away. These aren't Hondas so if there is a lot of rust it's a big problem. Ask for service records, without them assume they have not been done. The water pump and tbelt are in intervals of 60k and the oil pump is at 120k. If these cars are taken care of they will run forever I've got one at 309k miles and running like a charm.

So I say let us know what you plan to use this car for and we can give you more of an answer. Welcome to the 3s world it's addicting
Past cars: 93TT-Parted, 92TT-Parted, 94NA-Parted, 95TT-Parted, 93SL-Parted, 94 VR4-Parted, 95 Spyder-Sold, 91VR4-Sold, 91VR4-Sold 95 VR-4-Totaled, 94 RT/TT-Sold, 94 SL-Sold, 96 SL-Sold, 96 RT-Sold, 94 SL-Sold, 93TT-Sold, 99 NA-Sold, 93TT-Parted, 93TT-Sold, 97 SL-Sold, 94 RT-Parted, 94 NA Parted, 93 RT/TT-Parted, 94 NA-Sold
STEALTHS ARE LIKE A TWIN BROTHER, GOOD FOR PARTS!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR-4Madness View Post
To do an awd tt coversion with a new engine costs a lil over 20 g's to do it right, i almost did it. You would have to know cars like the back of your hand to be able to do all of that yourself. Why do you think only a few people have done it?
MK_94_3000GT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
General & A/V Moderator

Drives: Twinzies
ChargerX3 Level 2ChargerX3 Level 2ChargerX3 Level 2ChargerX3 Level 2ChargerX3 Level 2
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Pretty cars, just be sure to look them over carefully and ask a lot of questions about its care and condition.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1999 3000GT base
Nick H is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK_94_3000GT View Post
I would first advise not to move too quickly. I can't tell you how many people(myself included) should have waited and researched more. If you want a 99 that's great good year, looks great.

What are your plans for this car? Daily driver? Do you want to mod it? Weekend fun car? All depends on that. Based on those answers you can go a few different ways, the SOHC is easy and a basic workhorse. The motors run forever, even if the timing belt snaps, just slap a new one on and keep going.

The DOHC motors in say a 99 SL are a better starting point if you plan to mod the car as TT parts bolt on and there is just more out there For them. Of course their motors aren't near as bulletproof-ish as the SOHC. Theses motors have to be taken better care of.

With these cars always check the oil pan for dents, it's a common problem and the destruction of many engines. Check for rust, if there is a lot run away. These aren't Hondas so if there is a lot of rust it's a big problem. Ask for service records, without them assume they have not been done. The water pump and tbelt are in intervals of 60k and the oil pump is at 120k. If these cars are taken care of they will run forever I've got one at 309k miles and running like a charm.

So I say let us know what you plan to use this car for and we can give you more of an answer. Welcome to the 3s world it's addicting
It will probably be my daily driver, I might make some minor cosmetic mods, maybe even a few performance ones, but I'm not into that so much. Reliability is the most important thing to me. It'll also be my first car, btw.

About what you said about the service records, say if there are none, I should assume the services haven't been done. BUT, Is that a reason not to buy the car, or should I just spare some cash to have it serviced? And specifically what kind of dent to the oil pan would result in damage, is there a certain size or location, something specific to spot. (I apologize for being a car noob).

One more thing, I've heard here and there of these cars having electrical issues, whats the deal with that?

Last edited by Nick H; 01-14-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Nick H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: Trailblazer SS
CarthageGT is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

8 guests viewing this thread lol.
CarthageGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 02:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 95' VR4
sweet91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick H View Post
It will probably be my daily driver, I might make some minor cosmetic mods, maybe even a few performance ones, but I'm not into that so much. Reliability is the most important thing to me. It'll also be my first car, btw.

About what you said about the service records, say if there are none, I should assume the services haven't been done. BUT, Is that a reason not to buy the car, or should I just spare some cash to have it serviced? And specifically what kind of dent to the oil pan would result in damage, is there a certain size or location, something specific to spot. (I apologize for being a car noob).

One more thing, I've heard here and there of these cars having electrical issues, whats the deal with that?
If there is no service records then you would need to have them done since no body would know when they were done last. If the motor is a dohc, and the belt snaps or the hydrolic tensioner fails, then it trashes the motor and would need to be rebuilt. Its better to have it done if its unknown then to have engine failure. I would still buy the car if its unknown, but to have the timing belt, tensioner, pulley, water pump all changed out you are looking at $1000-1500 to have it done. If you can do it yourself then parts are about $500. Just keep that in mind. The dent in the oil pan is usually the result of somebody using a floor jack to support the engine when the 60k or 120k service is being done (since you have to remove the driver side motor mount to do the service) and the center of the lowest point of the pan gets pushed in. Its the bottom of the pan where the drain plug is. These motors will spin engine bearings due to not having enough oil to the bearings because of it. The only time I have seen electrical problems is when someone has tried to install something and butchers the wiring, otherwise its not an issue. Also its always best to have all the fluids changed so you know they are fresh. If you keep up on all the maintenance, these cars will last a long time and can be enjoyed.
sweet91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 01:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Wheee! 2 wheels is fun!

Drives: Various Japanese
speedy25 Level 1speedy25 Level 1speedy25 Level 1
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Start reading! The more you know from what other people write, the more you can apply it to make an intelligent purchase.

Timing belt maintenance with a MITSUBISHI tensioner is a must. No proof? Be prepared to spend money for it. DOHC engines are interference engines so if the belt/tensioner goes bad you bend valves.

If your need for reliability is that great, honestly get a Honda or Toyota. Our cars are quirky, but they have the looks and fun factor when they are at their best. Most of the quirks are from age. Parts start failing. Couple that with idiots with wrenches makes it difficult to have a good car.

Electrical issues are age related. First gen cars are notorious for their ECU's to have failing capacitors. Later cars dont have that trouble. The cars ARE electrical intensive and need a good battery. If you see ANY evidence of tampering with the stock wiring be prepared for the possibility of correcting what was done. Aftermarket alarm systems are known to fail and cause stupid electrical headaches. My only wiring failure has been the door connectors.

Look near the bottom of the forums page for the local section. If you find something you can probably get someone to help you go over a car. There are a lot of knowledgable people on here that are helpful.

-SP
speedy25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 08:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

carbonfiber3kgt is an unknown quantity at this point

unless you are buying a vr4 the base model 1997 and up only pushes 161 hp rather than the sl at 222 hp. if your not looking for a vr4. 99's are rare to come by in good condition with low miles. i settled for a 94 because the power was still there and i got a good deal too.
carbonfiber3kgt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 09:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
Always Learning

Drives: 2013 WRX Prem 4D WRB
mikeyVR4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Just sold my 99 Base for 6,000
mikeyVR4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > New Owner Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.