frozen radiator hose PLEASE help - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > New Owner Questions

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 10:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
SlownesS

Drives: 91RT/TT&93base
Finkster is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Default frozen radiator hose PLEASE help

91 Stealth TT
Car overheated on the coldest day of the year after driving it 7 minutes. I pulled over right away, let it cool down for 30 mins and got it back home before the meter read hot.

I assumed it was a bad thermostat, same thing happened in my base stealth....however i tested the thermostat and it opened fully when boiled.

Pulled the car into the garage today so i wouldnt have to work in the cold and felt the lower radiator hose. It was crunch like a slurpy inside....

The previous owner probably never put the correct (if any) antifreeze in the car...now I'm worried....It's been sitting in my garage for 8 hours now and it's warmer in there...maybe 60 degrees....

I have zero leaks under the car....I drained the radiator and the "coolant" was orange....either it was that GM stuff or it was rusty water. It doesn't look like oil. My oil dipstick looks normal...

OK, quick question with filling the system. I tried filling it back up but it would only accept 1 gallon of antifreeze....How do I drain the coolant from the block so I can fit the full 8 quarts in there. I really really hope the block isn't frozen inside.
Finkster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 11:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
ATOLDASO

Drives: 91 Stealth TT
Hard AttacK is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Default Re: frozen radiator hose PLEASE help

Don't panic let it sit for a while and its probably full of mostly water if you aren't sure. Also our cars take the green/yellow antifreeze.

NBF
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatecrasher
DSM owner = king of how fast can i go for $26.
91tt-money bitch
92tt-daily bitch
Hard AttacK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 11:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Flasher

Drives: VR4 | SL | R/T
TwIzTeD_3kGt Level 2TwIzTeD_3kGt Level 2TwIzTeD_3kGt Level 2TwIzTeD_3kGt Level 2
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

The hose could also be "crunchy" because of rust build-up in the system caking/hardening over time. It's how my VR4 was when I got it. Given the circumstances though, you could be right.

As far as draining the coolant from the block theres a drain plug on each side of the block. The rear is by the bracket mount for the axle. The front is by the front motor mount.

If the fluid in the hose was truely frozen, then the whole system was probably frozen. If it was frozen solid, you could have a blown freeze plug or worse a cracked block. If it was just slush, then you might be alright.

1997 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 - IPS 19T-L 93-Octane 20psi ~430awhp * PTE 550cc * Denso Supra Pump w/ STM Hot-wire Kit * SXP FPR@34psi * Coppers@.024 * Jester Dedd's PnP Flash ECU w/ Chrome V2 * Wiseco 8:1 +.035" * 3SX Rods * Spec 4+ * PMP FMIC w/ K&N FIPK * Montero MAF * Hallman Pro MBC * Greddy Type-S * Stillen DP w/ M2 CB * STM D2 Custom Coilovers * Maximal T-Case Brace & Solid F&R MM * AEM UEGO * Self-Tuned * 3-season DD * ~3,640lbs. Curb Weight
1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL - Maximal Single-Shot Exhaust - Wife's 3-Season DD
1994 Dodge Stealth R/T - Restoration Project
TwIzTeD_3kGt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 01:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Just play along....

Drives: Various Japanese
speedy25 Level 1speedy25 Level 1speedy25 Level 1
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Since you DONT KNOW what was in there and cant tell if the coolant was rusty or some colored product you really should do a flush. Best bet to start is to put a small heater under the car to make sure its COMPLETELY thawed before doing anything else.

When you do the flush you should be able to find out if you did other damage like freeze plugs, block or anything else freeze related.

You shouldnt have to mess with drain bolts.

-SP
Old 01-26-2013, 01:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
SlownesS

flush as in pour a cleaning product into the system? or a hose of water into the system?

I did pour 3 gallons of hot water into the system with the radiaor drain opened.

So as of now (because i didnt think about how to drain the water from the block) my car is filled with 50 percent prestone 50/50 mix, and 50 percent orange stuff (more water than antifreeze....how do you suggest i flush the system?
Old 01-26-2013, 01:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Just play along....

Drives: Various Japanese
speedy25 Level 1speedy25 Level 1speedy25 Level 1
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Greetings night owl.

Get yourself a flush and fill kit, and a bottle of peak superflush (or whatever the name is on the bottle today!) Get the flush chemical that stays in for about 30 minutes not the drive around with it for a week brand. CONFIRM your car has no leaks and doent overheat anymore. If it does have problems, finish your flush and then make repairs.

The flush kit adds a hose adapter to your heater hose. It is important to do a REVERSE flush especially to get crud out of the heater core. Use the picture on the directions to guide you to the right hose. I use a short piece of hose to put the adapter in temporarily and then reconnect the full hose later. After the flush is done pull the lower rad hose to drain most of the water out. NOTE! This is a great time to replace any old hoses. Reinstall lower hose and fill with FULL STRENGTH coolant. You know the capacity so you know how much to use to make a 50/50 mix. You will have to top up the system a number of times before it will be totally full. Keep an eye on it. Add 50/50 mix to the reservoir.

That should keep you busy for a while.

Dont do ANY of this until you are sure your car has thawed. Antifreeze doesnt thaw ice. It only keeps it from happening. If any of your cooling system is frozen you wont be able to do this job correctly.

Work smart!

-SP
speedy25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 02:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
SlownesS

Thanks very much for the advice. Unfortunately (maybe?) I can't touch the car until after work tomorrow night at 6pm. However this can be some good thaw time for the block. I highly doubt the block would still be frozen after 28 hours in my garage.

I still can't believe the previous owner did that. Really the more i dig into this car the more ****** rigged stuff I see and correct. Kind of makes me sad people do half ass worksmanship on a 3/s which I've grown to love. I could post up some pics of things and this forum would be shocked.

However, time to play the waiting game..Thanks again!
Old 01-26-2013, 07:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Thread Killer

Drives: 91 SLTT, 94 SL
hunt.chad is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 20 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkster View Post
Thanks very much for the advice. Unfortunately (maybe?) I can't touch the car until after work tomorrow night at 6pm. However this can be some good thaw time for the block. I highly doubt the block would still be frozen after 28 hours in my garage.

I still can't believe the previous owner did that. Really the more i dig into this car the more ****** rigged stuff I see and correct. Kind of makes me sad people do half ass worksmanship on a 3/s which I've grown to love. I could post up some pics of things and this forum would be shocked.

I dont think most of us would be shocked about things being rigged(or at least I wouldnt). I dont think I have owned a 3000gt that hasnt had some riggin done to it lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Beast View Post
Holy shit, besides racing cars, building motors you ride bulls too?
You are the manliest man ever!
hunt.chad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Flasher

Drives: VR4 | SL | R/T
TwIzTeD_3kGt Level 2TwIzTeD_3kGt Level 2TwIzTeD_3kGt Level 2TwIzTeD_3kGt Level 2
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkster View Post

I work on cars every day so I definitely wouldn't be shocked. Hell, just yesterday I opened up a customer's door by way of a speaker wire wrapped around the inside door handle

But pics are always good for threads!
TwIzTeD_3kGt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 02:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
SlownesS

ok an update. The car runs fine for the most part.

However I start to overheat on the highway when going over 65-70 it seems. If it turn on the heat it helps and returns to normal....I'm not sure where to go from here. I dont have any leaks that I'm aware of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > New Owner Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.