Engine oil change - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > New Owner Questions

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2009, 06:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: '92 Stealth R/T TT
dmb1372 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Default Engine oil change

So I've read a decent part of an epic thread regarding the best oil on this board. Basically, I recently purchased a '92 Dodge Stealth R/T twin turbo that's currently running Castrol Syntec 10w30. It's overdue for an oil change so I'd like to get that taken care of as soon as possible. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Castrol Edge. It's supposed to be a full synthetic heavy duty motor oil. I'm thinking about running that in 10w30 weight. Would this be a good oil to run in these cars? I want something that's going to last and leave the least chance of anything to go wrong since this is basically my new baby haha.. Another dumb question, but what filters do most people recommend running in these?

From what I get out of the factory manual, it's showing that the car only takes like 4.6-5 quarts of motor oil? Is that about right, it just seems a hair low to me is all, especially considering it's a turbo car.. Last quick question, how hard are the oil filters to get at in these cars? I'll be purchasing a manual sometime soon, but I'm strapped for cash at the moment and I really want to get the oil changed right away.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Darrin
dmb1372 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2009, 07:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Divides by -1

Drives: Broken
delerius1 Negative 1
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Default Re: Engine oil change

I would use 10-30w But it all depends where you live. I would personally advoid the high mileage stuff as it swells gaskets and nonsence. Buy an oem filter from Mitsubishi. Best you can get really. If you want the manuals Download them or find them on pdf on ebay. they work great.
3SX Performance - Service Manuals Backups 3000GT / Stealth*-*Mitsubishi 3000GT*/*Dodge Stealth

Last edited by delerius1; 09-08-2009 at 07:14 AM. Reason: added manual link
delerius1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2009, 07:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Typically broken

Drives: '91 VR4
Mits3kGT is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

ask a 100 people and you'll get a 100 different answers on what oil to run. But it seems like a majority of them run something synthetic 10w30. I personally use Redline 10w30 but also have nothing but positive things to say about Castrol Syntec. As far as an oil filter, anything but fram lol K&N is decent, i use purolator on my car. And finally, the oil is extremely easy to change on the 3s platform. Oil filter is right in an open area, and drain plug is in a super easy place.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 92 stealth RT Turbo
speedy16 is an unknown quantity at this point

really it is personal preference for what oil you use.

does the 4.6-5 quarts include the oil you put in the filter???
speedy16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2009, 09:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
3s-less

Stegmann is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

There's no need to prime the filter, just use some oil to wet the seal before you screw it on.

I use Mobil1 Synthetic in all my cars. The factory manual calls for 10w-30 and that's what you should use, unless your climate is extreme.

5 quarts sounds right to me. If you are that worried, put in 5 quarts and make sure it is showing up on the dipstick. Run the car till its warm, then after the car sits for a few hours check the oil again.

1994 Miata 'A-Package': sold
1992 3000GT VR4: sold
Stegmann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2009, 02:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 93 StealthTT 92 Vr4
AceJas is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1372 View Post
So I've read a decent part of an epic thread regarding the best oil on this board. Basically, I recently purchased a '92 Dodge Stealth R/T twin turbo that's currently running Castrol Syntec 10w30. It's overdue for an oil change so I'd like to get that taken care of as soon as possible. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Castrol Edge. It's supposed to be a full synthetic heavy duty motor oil. I'm thinking about running that in 10w30 weight. Would this be a good oil to run in these cars? I want something that's going to last and leave the least chance of anything to go wrong since this is basically my new baby haha.. Another dumb question, but what filters do most people recommend running in these?

From what I get out of the factory manual, it's showing that the car only takes like 4.6-5 quarts of motor oil? Is that about right, it just seems a hair low to me is all, especially considering it's a turbo car.. Last quick question, how hard are the oil filters to get at in these cars? I'll be purchasing a manual sometime soon, but I'm strapped for cash at the moment and I really want to get the oil changed right away.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Darrin
If you have over 100k you may consider 10w40 synthetic Redline,royalpurple,amsoil,mobil1... ect. The bearing clearances on the older engines plus the heat of the summer months takes its toll on your oil pressure. Use 10w30 if you drive in the cold months on a high mileage engine.
If you want to save a bunch Rotella 10w40 does a great job from detonation protection on your Bearings.
93 Stealth RT TT Black with Black Leather. Engine = Td05 Manifolds and 16'g Evo Turbos,port and polished heads with 1mm oversized valves,99 lifters,High Rev springs+Titanium Retainers,Ips 272 cams,+1INT -1EXH Cam Gears, Rebuilt 4 bolt main with forged CRYO'D and polished Crank, MGP Aluminum Racing Rods,CP Forged Pistons.CX Racing FMIC,.Wideband 02,Mechanical boost Gauge, Hks Eboost controller,Msd wires,Ngk stage 1 colder copper plugs,Dejons No maf pipes,Hks SSQ blow off valve,Aluminum cold air box mated to CF 575 hood,3sx Poly engine Mnts,egr block off,vacume reduction. Dynamic Racing Krank Vents.
fuel= Pte 1200cc's running E85, DIY Megasquirt ECU. Hotwired Duel Bosch 044pumps,Oohnoo's fuel Rails +SS Line Fuel Kit,fuellabs FPR+Filter.
Looks =Sparco Milano Seats, 575 CF hood,Carbon Creations CF Fendors,3sx stealth cut-thru spark cover,Powder coated valve cover + Intake + Dejon pipes + Fmic Pipes. Black Ceramic + clear coated Td05 pipes,3sx Aluminum shifter trim,3sx Aluminum Twin Turbo pedal covers,Aluminum Stealth Door sills,CF shifter+boot+ebrake,CF ebrake handle cover,3sx CF Full Dash kit,Aluminum Oil cap,18 inch Aluminum rims and Michelin Pilot Sport tires.
Drivetrain = New flywheel,Southbend Stage 4 fe Clutch ,25 spline Tranny with New CRYO'D output shaft.New 25 spline Transfercase with CRYO'D Case. Maximal performance Version II TC Brace.
Exhaust = Td05 Manifolds, 4' Custom Downpipe no Cat, Catback 4' Strait Exhaust to duel 6' Cans.
Suspension = Tein S spings.
AceJas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2009, 03:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
NOTADSM

Drives: GTC, R/T TT, SRT-4
Polygon Level 1Polygon Level 1Polygon Level 1
Feedback Score: 23 reviews

The best synthetic for the money is Redline, hands down. Mobil 1 and Royal Purple are not fully synthetic and are a rip off. Amsoil is good but pretty expensive. There is also Motul and Eneos. Some people like the Mobil Delvac or Shell Rotella. I would not use Castrol Edge personally. As for type, some say all the way up to 15w50. Personally, I think that's too high. I'd go with 10w30 or 10w40. The filter is easy to get to. It's near the oil pan, up a little higher on the back side of the block.

Oil: Redline 10w30 or 40
Capacity: 4.8 Quarts
Filter: Purolator, WIX, K&N, Mobil 1

Those would be my suggestions.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Typically broken

Drives: '91 VR4
Mits3kGT is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
Oil: Redline 10w30
Capacity: 4.8 Quarts
Filter: Purolator, WIX, K&N, Mobil 1
bingo!
Mits3kGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2009, 03:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
3/S enthusiast

Drives: 91 VR-4, 99 Zx2
andyvr4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

In my opinion redline is WAY overpriced for a car that's just daily driven. There's little doubt that redline is one of the best oils around, but there's also very little chance that you're going to notice one bit of difference between running redline and another synthetic oil. If you're just daily driving the car there's just no reason to spend 50 dollars on oil each change.

Just run another good synthetic oil and change it regularly and you should be fine. The big key is just to regularly change it as that's going to the most good for your engine.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
3s-less

Stegmann is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
The best synthetic for the money is Redline, hands down. Mobil 1 and Royal Purple are not fully synthetic and are a rip off. Amsoil is good but pretty expensive.
Could you prove that claim, please?
Stegmann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > New Owner Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.