Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

ECS computer replacement ?

7K views 31 replies 7 participants last post by  duke3k 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys- I've been trying to fix my blinking sport light issue on my 92 RT/TT and after checking all the wires on the struts (looked great!) i found I had a burnt out ECS computer- all the CAPs were leaking and the board had a few nasty looking black spots on it. Okay easy fix- I got a new ECS computer- (it was a rebuilt one, in working condition) and plugged it in- sport light still flashing!

My question is- do I have to do anything to clear the code or should the blinking light go away immediately when this is fixed?

#31 ·
I would strongly recommend pulling the code when it's blinking, that might point you in the right direction.

Mine did something similar to yours before it stopped working all together and blinked everytime i drove it. With any luck you get a code pointing to one of the shocks or something that will put you on the right path.

I kept getting code 21- and i've been stuck there i haven't had any luck finding a new steering angular sensor? I kinda want to check another ECS computer to verify if my "rebuilt" one is working or not- but i don't want to spend anymore money on this issue right now.

#32 ·
It doesn't blink when turned on, idling for about 10 minutes, until i drive around for about 10 minutes then it will blink. This is not consistence, it randomly blink. Sometime it doesn't blink at all for 1 hour of driving, but it always blink if I drive longer than 1 hour.
- thuanvinhny

I'm 80% sure that your symptoms mean that at least one of your ECS strut cap connector wires is broken. This is the common problem that's well known and everybody says to visually inspect for but I've been spending a fair amount time with these harnesses lately and I have repaired 3 now where the copper wire had broken right at the top of the plug but the surrounding plastic insulator around the wire was still intact. ....which means (1) a visual inspection won't reveal the problem and (2) your probably getting an intermittent contact that works upon startup but drive long enough with a little vibration and the ECS controller will not be able to command the strut and then it throws the error. You need to pull the codes to figure out which strut the ECS unit says is the problem and then pull that connector harness out and test it with a multimeter for continuity on each of the 5 pins and be sure to wiggle the wires near the top of the strut connector as you do so.

Or just buy a new harness for that strut and see the problem goes away.

Duke

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.