Bad fuel injector ground??? Help? - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > New Owner Questions

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2009, 10:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
New User - Please be kind

408Valiant is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Bad fuel injector ground??? Help?

Hey everyone, very new to this forum. I am going to be purchasing a 91 Stealth R/T this upcoming week. The car has a CEL on, and the current owner is telling me it was determined to be a "bad fuel injector ground". Does this sound legit? I did a search but did not come up with anything.

If someone could shed some light on this and let me know if his diagnosis was correct, or if not, would it could possibly be, that would be very appreciated. I'd like to get the car on the road ASAP and I know it wont pass NYS inspection with that light on the dash, and Id also like to get the issue fixed to prevent any problems further down the road. Thanks in advance!
408Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2009, 10:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
3/S enthusiast

Drives: 91 VR-4, 99 Zx2
andyvr4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Default Re: Bad fuel injector ground??? Help?

There's really no way for us to tell with out knowing what the actual code is. Is there anyway that you could get the actual codes from the computer and let us know what they are? That way we'd know if the code was even related to anything like that. It would also be helpful to know the model and year 3s that you're looking at.

I personally have never heard of a car tripping a CEL due to a bad injector ground, but I could foresee it happening if one of the injectors isn't firing consistently due to the ground.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

It is a 91 Stealth R/T, not the twin turbo model. All I have to go on is what he has told me so far, I won't actually have the car until next weekend.

The owner said a couple of times the car has given him some issues starting up, like that it will sputter a bit. But he said if the car is turned off and back on it fires up no problem. I started it twice when I went to go look at it, as well as took it out for a quick ride and it didn't give me any problems. Could it just be a bad injector?

This is why I made the post, I havent seen anything injector ground related in the searchs I did, so I'm just trying to get a general idea of what could be wrong with the car.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
3/S enthusiast

It is possible that a bad injector ground could cause that, but there's also many other things that could cause the sputtering on startup. Without anymore information than that there's just no way to guarantee you that's what's causing the problem.
andyvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2009, 10:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dope-stoopid yo!

Drives: 96 3K- 07 R1- 98 VR4
Mista Grimm is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

I've never heard of an actual injector ground. There's only one ground strap on the rear of the intake. But I would think the caps in the ECU are probably bad. I have a couple ECUs or you can replaced the caps if you know how to solder.

PRETTY MODS:
HIDs on Twin Low Beam Robos, HIDs on fogs and reverse lights, Active Aero Spoiler,VR4 brake upgrade, Digital AC Conversion, Custom black leather seats w/ Red inserts, 18x8.5 Antera 143 chrome wheels, Eibach Springs, K&N, Pioneer DVD deck, 12" DVC subs, Short Shift Mod, Flowmasters, Hidden white neon license plate light, Electric trunk release, Illuminated LED passenger door switches, High beam projector lenses

"But even God would be up for being down with a hoe" -Sublime
Mista Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2009, 03:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Alright thanks for the imput guys. I'll fill everyone in some more after I get the car. Hopefully I'll be bringing it home on Saturday, and putting it on the road Monday. Then I just need to get rid of that pesky CEL to pass inspection in under 10 days...
Old 09-07-2009, 04:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 92 RT/TT, 96 Cobra
RealMcCoy Level 2RealMcCoy Level 2RealMcCoy Level 2RealMcCoy Level 2RealMcCoy Level 2RealMcCoy Level 2
Feedback Score: 38 reviews

The injectors are grounded by the ECU... Failed injector drivers are not uncommon. It's quite possible the car owner didn't have a solid grasp on what he was told by whoever diagnosed the problem.

I would not be surprised to see an ECU problem as the root cause.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

RealMcCoy, if the ECU is the problem, how big of a problem exactly would that be to fix? Like in relation to time/difficulty/money?

Also a quick side note, if I have to pass inspection in under 10 days, and its something that is going to be a little more labor intensive than cleaning up some connections on ground wires, is there an easy way to get rid of the CEL just to pass?
I used to have an 2004 Lancer Ralliart, and the trick used to be to pop the battery terminals off for 5-10 minutes and put them back on, CEL would temporarily clear and it could pass NYS inspection, and that was with OBDII and having to be hooked up. Would this work on the 91 Stealth? I realize this wouldn't resolve the problem, but it would help me to put it on the road. Thanks again guys.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
3/S enthusiast

Do they just check to see if the check engine light is on are do they actually watch it when you start the car to make sure it comes on and then goes off? If they just check to see if it's staying on then you could just pull the bulb out, however this would obviously cause it to never illuminate.
andyvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2009, 06:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

They pull it in to the bay, I know on the newer OBDII cars, it is hooked up and scanned if the light is on or off, doesnt matter.

From what I have heard, pre-1995 stuff is simply a safety check and a visual check for the CEL, and if it is not on, nothing is further checked into. But that is only what I have heard. Hopefully this is the case and the bulb can just be removed then so that I can pass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > New Owner Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.