Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

94 VR4 - What Would You Pay? HELP - purchase decision

1K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  dj tech12zz 
#1 · (Edited)
Guys, I've been away from the 3si and import world since I last had a 93 Vr4 in 2006. I now have a chance to buy a 1994 VR4 with 99k miles.

PROs:

It's dark green with beige interior. Its a 2 owner car, the current owner has had it since 1995 and he says he bought it from the owner of a Mitsu dealer back then. ECS, Active Exhaust, radio antenna, and Active Aero (wing only) still work or were repaired a few years ago.

All electronics seem to work. 60k was done at 65k miles and the owner has receipts. It also has a manual sunroof (factory, I assume). The engine bay was super clean for the age and mileage, and was not recently washed or detailed.

No apparent rust on the body, but the plastic trim on the exterior is badly faded. High quality Michelin tires all around. Transmission was notchy, but shifted fine (I didn't beat on it though) and synchros seemed to be good as well. Most service records are available. Absolutely NO SMOKE upon cold start up, while driving, or WOT.

CONs:

There is a front valve cover leak and what looked to be a an oil leak from the transmission. It's not dripping yet, but the whole trans case was coated in a dark oil film.

The carpet is not in good shape - there are rust(?) and dark spots all over, but not ripped. I'd have to deep cleaning or just replace it entirely as I don't know if its salvageable. Seats are not torn, but worn and kind of dirty. Headliner is a little dirty, but not too bad.

Lastly, there is weird whirling sound during WOT right before the turbos spool up. Turbo death sound maybe? I had a 93 Vr4 in the past and I don't remember that sound.

Dilemma:

Although KBB says it's worth $5,000, the owner is asking $9,000 for it and doesn't want to budge. Is it worth it? How much would you guys pay for this car given the mile, condition, etc.

Thank you.

PICTURES:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B3wYss2vCZSfTFZzT0lycEx0QmM?usp=sharing

See less See more
#2 ·
Transfer case covered in that fluid may be a bad seal on the transfer case, which can cause it to lock up. That would be a very big concern for me personally.

Carpet is pretty cheap and easy to replace. You'll find a decent amount of part outs here that will have interior parts in better condition.

Not sure what you mean by a weird whirling sound, don't turbos make whirling noises? lol

As far as price goes, that is mostly about what you're willing to pay. You'll find nicer VR4s for $5000 than the one you're talking about here pretty easily just by checking here on 3si and on the Facebook groups. If he won't budge on 9k, I'd pass on it personally. You can pick up a car in MUCH better condition for 9k.

#3 ·
i had a 91 TT that had that same sound when the turbos spooled up , usually right at 3500-4000rpm. it was slightly higher mileage at 108k when i took them out and found out the turbos needed a rebuild. im guessing thats what it is on yours but i drove mine easy for a while until i saved the money to get them rebuilt at boostmore.

question is... does it make that sound all the time or just sometimes? mine only did very rarely but was good to get them fixed before a big failure were to happen.

unless he has some other reason to ask double what KBB is, then pass it up. people gouge the price on these cars all the time (i cant even get a local guy who is a 4th owner on a 96 SOHC stealth with 98k miles to budge less than $4000)

assuming the KBB value of 5000 is excellent condition, getting stock 9bs put back in and then getting the carpet done, plus depending on whether you get seals done on the transfer case/valve cover gasket by yourself or someone else, you could be into it 1500 if i had to compare it to similar what i have experienced. ( i had boostmore take my stock 9bs to 15g for 900 dollars so i wouldnt expect stock ones to be that much)

so yea the real question finally....lol. if it were me and if i REALLY wanted it i would pay 4000. green is not very desireable. find out what other websites like edmunds, NADA, hagerty, and whatever else does valuations on the cars say and find an average price between them because they can be very different and that guy could be using a website that says its 9000.

#8 ·
unless its a Green 99 Vr4 lol

#4 ·
#10 ·
The valve cover leak is more than likely the oil cap leaking. common issue. They blow out oil under boost. replace PCV with OEM and get a new oil cap.

Trans/Transfer leak usually a seal or the case itself leaking. Not difficult to do but some you have to pull the trans to actually replace. Also check to be sure it is actually trans fluid. If the Turbo oil drain lines leak they like to spray back all over the transfer case.

That carpet looks like shit.... Was the owner a smoker as it almost looks like ash burns on the carpet seeing where they were. Or a soda blew up in the car!

The whooshing sound you are hearing couple just be that you're not used to hearing the engine with the K/N FIPK filter on there. it opens up the flow and sounds a lot different.

In the end though the price is high. I see nothing to justify the price he has set especially in it's overall condition.

#14 ·
Very good points. You're right though, overall there is not enough to justify his asking price. I appreciate the information about what the causes for the leaking fluids could be!

It's a non-smoker for sure, I was really concerned when I saw the carpet. He said the underhood liner is aftermarket because "mice got in the engine bay and chewed the fiberglass on the original" - so maybe it's somehow related? No idea. I didn't notice any funky smells.

===============

Anyway, THANKS EVERYONE! I am reminded about how helpful this community is. I'll be back some day, but for now I will pass on this car and continue my search.

#15 ·
HELL NOOO!!! there are a lot of nice vr4s around for 5-7k
that seller will have that car forever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.