Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

I like matte paint, but what about windows?

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  93Driver 
#1 ·
I need to make some choices and hoping for advice before I mess things up too badly.

I got the windows tinted a few years back, but they're still shiny on the outside. Is there any way to make the outside of the windows not shiny? As in make them have a matte finish too ~ but still be able to see out of them?

I've found very FEW pictures of flat/matte finish 3s, but on almost all of them, the shiny windows just ruin the idea for me. I've seen 1 in white, and 2 in black, but they're just like 1 angle, still don't know how it looks with the taillights... daytime/night time, etc.
So, anybody have links for flat/matte 3kgt or Stealth pics?

I'm feeling brave, and have painted a fender before to match (good enough for me, but took 3 weeks to get close enough) but the last question is just in case I screw up big time: If I hate how the car looks, no matter what sorts of paint I use, can the actual paint shop remove all the layers I put on no matter what?

Thanks ~ btw.. not doing this until the weather is better, but nice to plan something fun ahead :)

Extra info for bored 4AM readers:
Why I have nothing to lose so long as the pros can take off layers of whatever I might try:
The car looks great until you get up close to it and really look:
Current color: mostly original Galaxy White Pearl Tricoat, 1 panel repainted when prev. owner did something.
Clear coat: long gone.
Hood: bad joke close up. 1 small dent from a flying metal object. Hairline cracks in the paint & mini craters.
Spoiler: embarrassing
Roof: like the surface of the moon with 1 deep scratch from prev. owner
fenders: 1 repainted but ruined by car door dingers, 1 baby bubbles just starting
ass: great but little black dots being impossible
front bumper: not bad, had a bra on for years to hide the semi-missing clear coat of the hood
ALL around the car where the lame pin-striping used to be: dull as heck, loves to attract dirt, double waxing effort mandatory

See less See more
#2 ·
My stealth is matte black, ill post pics later.
But unless you paint over your original paint there's no chance it can be brought back to the same. What I mean is: when you go to paint a car you:
a. Sand it down
b. Wet sand
c.primer
d.base coat
and then lay down you color of choice followed by a few layers of clear coat. That pretty much sums it up.
Do you have the tools to try?paint gun,compressor,know how,etc.
If not then stay away.

#3 ·
Sandblast the windows with a very fine grit?

#10 ·
Sandblast or etch, I'm not sure of the differences yet since I'm just looking into this, but as seen in this pic there are different opaqueness, or translucent percentages. Like we can have tint up to 20% or whatever, why not have just enough to make it not shiny, but can still see through it (not a great idea on the front window though I guess).

I'm also going to check into the clear coat matte paints available & play around a bit with some glass sheets I just happen to have laying around, lol.

#7 ·
That's a can-do. The only real concern I have is with the windshield wipers... but even something that'd work on the sides & back would be awesome.

I got the idea from the big screen TVs, some are shiny on the outside glass , but others have a coating on them (or separate film) that makes them matte looking.

#6 ·
Oh wow! I Just got here this month & already an AWARD? for lil' ol' M-e?

Sweet!!! :qgiggity:

#9 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.