92 VR-4 Paint-at-home Project - Viper Yellow - Page 3 - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Miscellaneous > Body & Paint

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #21 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 1991 3000GT SL
BamBam is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Re: 92 VR-4 Paint-at-home Project - Viper Yellow

When I saw the 1st few pics, I thought "what the hell is this guy doing ruining his car?" but by the end, it looks awesome!
Can't wait to see the final pictures...really nice job!

Mr. FOIA - Reveal what he had discovered, or keep it to himself and let the lies continue? Climategate Leaker: Our Civilization is Being Destroyed by Lying ‘Science’ Elitists

BamBam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 10:39 AM   #22 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 92 VR-4 & 99 GT
Shifty556 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Thanks for the kind words!!

Yeah, for the first 20 hours of the project (disassembly, mostly) I thought, "What the F am I getting myself into?"

Now, being about halfway done, I've gone too far to turn back now! It's still hard to work up the ambition to keep painting. It's really tedious and I hate it. The worst part is mixing paint and cleaning the gun...it may sound weird but around 3pm when I'm sitting at work and thinking about what to do that particular night, I think about the un-fun parts of painting and it really defeats me alot of the time.

Probably won't be done til Spring. I have a set of Teins on the way, a CarPC to install, and a powder-coating oven that my dad and I have almost completed that is big enough for a Harley frame. I'll still keep busy in the winter, but I may be done with painting for this year. That is, unless I can get 2-3 consecutive days off work and just force myself to pound it out (if the weather behaves).

A'pexi Turbo Timer, PMP FMIC, A'pexi AVC-R, A'pexi SAFC-2, Innovate Wideband, Supra fuel pump, 450cc's, dr500's, alcohol injection, poly motor mounts, 300M OS.

Soon to install...

New long block when everything asplodes...
Shifty556 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 10:52 AM   #23 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 92 R/T TT, 95 Spyder
3krazygt Level 13krazygt Level 1
Feedback Score: 55 reviews

jason, you need to help me paint my carrrrr!!!!
Old 11-28-2012, 09:43 AM   #24 (permalink)
Forum Member

Richter12x2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm also a novice painter, but I've done 5 or 6 cars now, and 2 of them have won awards at local car shows. You're pretty much spot on, I just wanted to add my 2 cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty556 View Post
12b) If you are shooting a base coat / clear coat, just get good, even coverage with the color, you may only need two coats of it. As long as you don't have a lot of orange peel you are ok (you will have some...robots at auto manufacturers can't even spray perfectly, look at the paint on a brand new car...). In my experience, if you cake 3 layers of clear on top of the lightly orange-peeled paint, you can wet-sand the clear and get a pretty good looking result. If you are going for a show-car finish, then stop reading this thread and go to auto-body school! :-P *edit* I Google'd this a lot before starting and most people say that orange peel in the color coat will show through the clear no matter how much you sand the clear...I didn't find that to be the case, and I have a pretty critical eye for my own work.
I've only painted in Texas, but I've found it's hard to get significant orange peel on basecoat, because it's usually so thin (compared to clear) that the solvents evaporate pretty quickly. But then, that's Texas and it's not unusual to be painting when it's 90 degrees or so, which they also say you shouldn't do. :P Either way, I can add that if you laid the clear down correctly, any underlying orangepeel shouldn't show up. Remember you're laying down a liquid, so as long as it flows enough to get into the gaps, it's going to be pretty much optically pure.

Quote:
15) Optional : Use 3000 grit paper to wetsand the area further. Haven't done this enough to know if it's necessary. I used the 3000 in the above picture of the hood.
It's a matter of taste - if you're not going for a show car, then the casual, even critical onlooker isn't going to be able to tell a 2000 grit buffed clear from a 3000 grit one. When you compound it, the compound will usually tell you "removes 1500 grit scratches" or whatever. As long as you're above that, the compound should get rid of the scratches. You'll do a lot less rubbing if you use 3000 or 2000 than you will at 1800, but for normal road cars, 1800 is where I stop, and it still comes out great.

... because the worst part of painting your car is that first chip. :P

Quote:
16a) Use Meguiar's Ultimate Compound (by hand, or get someone to teach you how to use a power buffer). I am a bit gun-shy of my power buffer, as you can easily burn through paint and clear coat on the edges of body panels.
I've definitely burned my share of edges, and then touched them up with a little base coat on a paint brush with a hairdryer to cure. The best thing to do with a rotary buffer (not a $20 polisher from Walmart) is to stick to the big flat expanses. Those are the ones that really throw the shine back at you anyway. In a pinch, use masking tape and tape over the edges of each panel. After power buffing, then go back and rub by hand to blend the edges into the main part of the hood. A little orange peel at the edges is not even noticeable when your hood and fenders and doors are reflecting like mirrors.
Also note that the compound you use for hand rubbing is a lot harsher than the kind you use for machine compounding, so don't use hand compound by machine. If you use machine compound by hand, it'll work, but you'll be there until your arms fall off.

Also, I started with a Devilbiss Finishline3 which works great if you have an awesome compressor. Tip size is important, if you can only get one, get a 1.3 or 1.4. It'll handle clears, bases, metallics and most primers. Anything bigger and it's too easy to get heavy orange peel in the clear. Not a problem really, but a LOT more sanding. Like down to 800 grit, then 1000, then 1200, before going to 1500 and 2000. I have a smaller compressor now (33 gallon 3hp oil-free) and the Devilbiss outruns it substantially. My gun of choice now is an LVLP clone gun, called a Razor, I think. It was about $60, I believe, and my paint quality is drastically improved.

The best kept secret of painting a car is that anyone not suffering from epilepsy with any kind of attention to detail can paint a car well enough to get great results, HVLP or LVLP paint goes on 30 times thicker than spraypaint on average, so as long as you make sure your color matches, mix it all per directions and get enough clear on it, you can't mess it up too much. The really hard work is in the preparation and the finish sanding afterwards.
Richter12x2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #25 (permalink)
Forum Member

^ Truth ^

I have no rebuttals. LVLP gun, eh? Interesting...I'll have to look into that.

Thanks for the input, it's definitely appreciated!!
Old 12-10-2012, 02:22 PM   #26 (permalink)
Forum Member

Pretty sure the gun I found is called Astro Evo4014, and works great and came well recommended by the Autobody101 forums that I used for research. If I remember right, it's also able to be used with waterbased paint.

If that's a little high for you, there's another option that's cheaper that's looking like a good buy. Information • How to Paint Your Own Car, Auto Body Discussion Forum & Videos • AutoBody101.com
Old 12-10-2012, 02:55 PM   #27 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 94 sl and 94 vr4
dbpc is an unknown quantity at this point

Show us the whole car you tease!!
dbpc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #28 (permalink)
Forum Member

Haha, sorry, I hit a spot of extreme burnout. I'm not used to doing this type of work and I just needed to take some time off. Still need to do doors, fenders and bumpers.

Really hoping I can get it done before the weather turns too cold. My garage is heated, but that only accounts for so much.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:04 PM   #29 (permalink)
Forum Member

I want to see his as well - in the meantime, here's the most recent one I did.

Attached Thumbnails
92 VR-4 Paint-at-home Project - Viper Yellow-928-after-1.jpg  
Old 12-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #30 (permalink)
Forum Member

Add to that I have 19T's to install, Tein Flex's to install, electronics and CarPC to install, and a huge powdercoating oven that we built...it's gonna keep me busy all winter, paint or no paint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Miscellaneous > Body & Paint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.