Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

3000gt Spyder VR4 to Dodge Stealth R/T TT Conversion

41K views 88 replies 39 participants last post by  3000gtSpyderRegistry 
#1 ·
Everything is going okay so far but will need info/help from you Stealth guys sooner or later.

This is the look I’m going for, a 1G Stealth R/T TT with a 2G rear bumper and venom viper front bumper.

I started with chopping the tail lights. I figured that would be the biggest problem to overcome due to the support structure for the tonneau.

Have to remount the large bulb and deflector. Also need to figure out how to seal it from moisture.

Here is a video with tail lights in place.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/o1XkwZ4qTW4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

See less See more
#37 ·
make sure u remove this car from the spyder registry:muahaha: ,One less spyder makes ours even more rare lol.

#47 ·
Looks great I was looking for a Spyder for the same conversion for years. Very happy to see someone getting around to doing it. The nose is not my taste because I love 1 gen. nose. I hated having it on back burner all this time but building custom cars is my focus on.

#48 ·
This is coming along nicely and is a very cool idea! Personally, the 1G Stealth styling is my least favorite of the 3Ss (even though I've owned 4 of them) but I think the combination of the Spyder roof and the Stealth will be unique and awesome.

My current 92 Stealth has 94 SL door caps on it. The scooped out area doesn't line up perfectly with the side skirt vent, but with a little tweaking they could be made to and it may tie the Stealth and 3000 components together a bit...just a thought

#49 ·
Just realized my rear combination (tail) lights don’t work when I hit the brake. Lights on/off and turn signals work. Luckily the center spoiler brake light is working.

The 3000gt harness connector (F-30/F-10) has four wires but the Stealth only has three. On the 3000gt it goes GR/Y/BK/GR-W, on the Stealth it goes blank/GR/BK/GR-W. Guess if I change the Stealth connector to GR/blank/BK/GR-W everything should work.

Does anyone know what the Yellow wire does on the 3000gt?

#51 ·
#52 ·
It's a single bulb for stealths. I think the flasher is different due to this setup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#53 ·
It's a single bulb for stealths. I think the flasher is different due to this setup.
Does anyone know if the Stealth has a different tail light control module than the 3000gt and if so where is it?

#61 ·
A buddy of mine said the same thing. When its finished I will put some black tape on it to see if i like it.

I'm gonna go ahead and sub to this. Looks awesome from the back. I too think the Venom bumper was a mistake, but I'm sure you'll change my mind when it's done. Good progress!!
Agreed. I put the Venom bumper on and didn't like it at all. Staying with the 99 bumper for now. Anyone looking for a Venom bumper?

#57 ·
I'm gonna go ahead and sub to this. Looks awesome from the back. I too think the Venom bumper was a mistake, but I'm sure you'll change my mind when it's done. Good progress!!

#58 ·
I would have liked it if it looked exactly like a stealth but had a hard top convertible but it just looks all frankenstein with the spyder rear spoiler, 99 looking nose. I am glad its not a mess but theres so few of these spyders, it would have been less of a travesty if it was a salvage title or just a wrecked one that was used instead of a good one, but thats just my opinion. Its your car and you can do what you want obviously

#59 ·
The 99 nose isn't staying ^

#62 ·
I'd love to see this all 2nd gen stealth. Or at least he side skirts. But love it either way that's just my preference.

#63 ·
After a long delay...Here it is!

Still needs some minor things to totally finish but it looks like a one-of-a-kind 1996 Dodge Stealth R/T Spyder TT.

#72 ·
What made you decide against the pop up lights and viper front?
Put the viper bumper on and something looked off to me. The lines or something didn’t go well with the car. I’m a fan of the 1G hood but would have needed to cut holes to get the pop ups to work so I passed on that.

I'm curious why you decided on 2G side skirts instead of the 1G side skirts, 1G ones look way better in my opinion. 2G ones just look so plain.
The thing I like the best on the Stealth is the 2G rear bumper. Had the 1G side skirts on but the lines didn’t look right. And totally agree it does look plain but in the end I decided to go true to the year...except for the 1G wheels.

Need a pic with the top down :)

#67 ·
I like it ;)

Maybe a black roof though? I usually don't like black roofs, but it might set it off. Need a pic with the top down :)

#68 ·
Well done.
Beaut VR4 Spyder, looked good with the 99 front on page 2, looks good now.
Neatly done and like your reasons for doing it.
Thinking Mitsubishi and Dodge lucked onto a magic jigsaw of panels that turn out good every which way.

#71 · (Edited)
I've not seen this thread before, cool project. The only thing I would've done different is 1st gen Stealth body all the way. That would really throw off the people that are familar with the Spyder, they'd be looking at the car going "wtf?!" lol

Straman or not, I'd be curious to see a Stealth banana photoshopped on to this car, I imagine a huge amount of wellding/filling to get a smooth rear deck lid and a '96 reproduction banana, but it would just make the car that much more unique.

#73 ·
oh,you are going to put the 95/96 TT stealth chromies on, right :) ?

#74 ·
I like the old school look of the 1G color matching wheels. Have to leave something for the next owner to customize :D

#76 ·
I had one of those "doh" moments when I realized you had to chop the taillights lol

when you have time, can you post up a pic of the rear section when it's opening to allow the roof to drop inside?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.