Throw Out Bearing RATTLE ? - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > All Wheel Drive - DriveTrain

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2010, 11:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
New User - Please be kind

TurboLenny is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Throw Out Bearing RATTLE ?

I read many posts about owners that have heard a "Rattle" from the clutch or transmission.

I have a 1992 Stealth TT with 131000 miles. I think it still has the original transmission. It shifts fine, even in second gear and reverse but I have the "rattle" noise that gets fairly loud when the car is in neutral with no foot on the clutch. It is quite noticeable when standing by the front right wheel (trans. side). If I push the clutch in ALL THE WAY the noise disappears completely. I checked out this "noise" with another Stealth TT owner in my area and his car does the same thing - in neutral without foot on clutch, some rattling but push in the clutch and noise goes away. My rattle is much LOUDER than his car but they both have it (his car has approx. same mileage).

I bought this car in California, Dec 2009 and drove it about 1500 miles to get home. The noise was very faint when I bought the car but it started to get louder as I got closer to home (in neutral, idling). I thought it was tranny damage at first BUT I drained the oil, found no filings,shavings, etc. I then changed the trans. oil to GM SyncroMesh and it still has the same rattle.

I purchased a used JDM trans with about 40,000 miles and I was planning to to install it, but like I said, my trans. shifts FINE with NO GRINDING, so I am a little reluctant to fix something that might not be broken...!!

Is this noise just a throw out bearing or something more serious?

Thanks for the advice!
TurboLenny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2010, 11:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Certified Freak

Drives: 94 "Super banana"
xXDynamosXx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Default Re: Throw Out Bearing RATTLE ?

I had the same thing, Clutch out in neutral sounded like i had a bag of rocks for a throw out.. turns out my tranny was bone dry on gear lube. long story short. By re-adding fluid I blew out 2nd gear. double check your fluid levels. these trannys like to be totally full :/

how long ago was it's clutch replaced? if you don't know the last time it's been replaced.. honestly if you say it shifts fine and the fluid levels are fine. Buy up a nice stage 2 or 3 clutch. and replace the TOB while replacing the clutch. and it think everything will be fine. but even if you plan on swapping in the JDM tranny you should buy a new clutch. it's probably original and at 40,000mi it should probably be replaced before you put it in.

either way hope that gives you some insight.

dynamos
xXDynamosXx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 04:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Amsterdamn

Drives: 86 Monte Carlo SS
Turbo Beast Level 1Turbo Beast Level 1
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Its just the Trow out bearing.
Sell the JDM trans, order a clutch kit (exedy or stock, since the car is stock or are you modding it?) Swap the clutch while youre in there.

Turbo Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 08:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
the 3S whisperer

Drives: 95 mitz 3kgt vr4
gltasn is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

had my car since 2001. had new tranny, still made noise, 3rd new clutch ,new tob, new fork, new fulcrum ball, sill makes the noise. you might find 1 in 50 owners that claim thiers never makes the noise, every memeber in ak's has the noise. you just have to keep clutch depressed at the bank and fast food lines
Old 03-16-2010, 01:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Flasher

Drives: VR4 | SL | R/T
TwIzTeD_3kGt Level 2TwIzTeD_3kGt Level 2TwIzTeD_3kGt Level 2TwIzTeD_3kGt Level 2
Feedback Score: 23 reviews

When the TOB is not engaged to the clutch, it's just sitting on the input shaft bearing assembly. It has no reason to rattle unless what it's sitting on is rattling. I would say it's more likely your input shaft bearing causing the noise.

But it is fairly common because it more often than not goes without being properly diagnosed. It's also pretty much harmless, aside from being annoying.

1997 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 - IPS 19T-L 93-Octane 20psi ~430awhp * PTE 550cc * Denso Supra Pump w/ STM Hot-wire Kit * SXP FPR@34psi * Coppers@.024 * Jester Dedd's PnP Flash ECU w/ Chrome V2 * Wiseco 8:1 +.035" * 3SX Rods * Spec 4+ * PMP FMIC w/ K&N FIPK * Montero MAF * Hallman Pro MBC * Greddy Type-S * Stillen DP w/ M2 CB * STM D2 Custom Coilovers * Maximal T-Case Brace & Solid F&R MM * AEM UEGO * Self-Tuned * 3-season DD * ~3,640lbs. Curb Weight
1993 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 - I'll just sneak this one in here...
1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL - Maximal Single-Shot Exhaust - Wife's 3-Season DD
1994 Dodge Stealth R/T - Restoration Project
TwIzTeD_3kGt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 01:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
New User - Please be kind

TurboLenny is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Thanks for the advice....so far, my options are:

1. Leave AS IS until it gets a little louder (mid summer?), keep working on performance upgrades instead.

2. After doing my 15G turbo/injector upgrade next month, drive for a few months then change stock clutch to STAGE 2,3 or 4 and replace TOB at this time.

3. Pull transmission right away and replace input shaft bearing, clutch and TOB. (How much is a input shaft bearing?)

(I'm leaning towards option #1 !!!)

Any advice is appreciated.
TurboLenny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 02:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Flasher

TwIzTeD_3kGt Level 2TwIzTeD_3kGt Level 2TwIzTeD_3kGt Level 2TwIzTeD_3kGt Level 2

I'm pretty sure the input shaft bearings are extremely difficult to get a hold of these days. There are a couple members here who may be able to help you get one though. Let me do some research and see who they are.

Option 1 is very do-able, it's nothing that absolutely NEEDS to be adressed.

I will say this, I had this rattle before my build. Now, post-build, I don't have the rattle. During the build I disassembled the transmission and had the input shaft bearing pressed out and eventually pressed back in. This may have cured what was causing the rattle.

I did replace the TOB at the same time, so which fixed the noise can't be said for certain. However, the rattle persisted when the old TOB was originally installed. So the TOB was likely not the fix, as replacing it didn't fix it previously.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Flasher

These names were referred to me while I was looking:

Ralliart

300ZNJ

widowmaker

ray pampena
Old 03-17-2010, 07:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

ray pampena Level 2ray pampena Level 2ray pampena Level 2ray pampena Level 2ray pampena Level 2ray pampena Level 2

the noise is actually the clutch hub center inside the disk. there is a plate inside the disk that is up against the springs. pick up a worn disk and shake it.. thats the noise.

alot of new aftermarket clutchs make it most worn clutches do also. the latest mitsu disk should be quiet. there was a tsb on it in the late 90s for an updated disk.

so, you can just leave it alone. it wont cause a problem
PM US FOR DEALS ON PRECISION TURBO!
WE SPECIALIZE IN FAST STREET CARS!
NO JOB TOO LARGE OR TOO SMALL
FIND US ON FB!
http://store.pampenamotorsports.com/

ray pampena is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2010, 08:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
the 3S whisperer

Drives: 95 mitz 3kgt vr4
gltasn is an unknown quantity at this point

to the op. when matt, chris or, ray tell you something, you can take it to the bank! lots of opinions out there but these guys know there stuff! they are the preachers to our church, lol.
gltasn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > All Wheel Drive - DriveTrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.