Rear differential VCU. Good or Bad - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > All Wheel Drive - DriveTrain

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2010, 01:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: red car & black car
Beau_Jester is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Default Rear differential VCU. Good or Bad

I know that questions about the rear LSD VCU are redundant, but I am not sure of my evaluation.

Originally, I did the front and rear VCU test with the engine, transmission, and drive shaft connected. I came to the conclusion that the center VCU was bad and I changed it when I pulled the transmission.

I also came to the conclusion that the rear VCU was bad, but now I am not sure.

My drive shaft is removed from the car. The car is jacked in the air without tires exposing the rear wheel hubs. There is no "load on the rear wheel hubs. If I turn either hub forward, the opposite hub rotates forward and the and the drive shaft hub turns. If I block one wheel hub with a crow bar, I can still turn the other wheel hub but with some resistance. The drive shaft hub also turns.

What do you think. Is the rear LSD VCU good or bad?

Beau_Jester is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2010, 02:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: Striple R, GTI, BRZ
DocWalt Level 1DocWalt Level 1DocWalt Level 1
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Default Re: Rear differential VCU. Good or Bad

It sounds usable. Perfect? I really doubt it. Unless you're racing your car, I doubt you'll notice any issues. Mine is pretty much shot, and I don't have any traction issues, even auto-crossing.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Drunk as a lord

Drives: 1995 Stealth TT
Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2
Feedback Score: 102 reviews

as long as turning one side makes the other side go in the same direction I'd call it ok.

IMHO I'd rather have the rear spin anyway because that puts less stress on your transfer case.

Pampena 3.5 Stroker, TiAL DR750s, ETS FMIC, FIC 1050s, Walbro 416/485, E85, Chrome ECU, 85mm MAF, Dejon intake pipes, Tial QR, DN Precats, Tanabe Medallion Touring, 3sx Single Pass Rad, Samco Hoses, Stoptechs,, Tein S-Techs, Bilstein HDs, Southbend FE Clutch, 300M O/S, Billet T-Case, 5 Speed Trans
Forest Gump is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2010, 03:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

I guess I'll leave it as is then. I was kind of dreading tearing the rear differential apart. I already have a heavy work load on this car with the engine and transmission torn apart.

BTW. I easily removed the U-joints from my drive shaft using my dremel tool to grind off the staking and a hammer and chisel to knock out the joints. I just hope I can find some replacements. I got a guy in Ohio from Driveline trying to match some up. Fingers crossed.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Drunk as a lord

Drives: 1995 Stealth TT
Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2
Feedback Score: 102 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau_Jester View Post
I guess I'll leave it as is then. I was kind of dreading tearing the rear differential apart. I already have a heavy work load on this car with the engine and transmission torn apart.

BTW. I easily removed the U-joints from my drive shaft using my dremel tool to grind off the staking and a hammer and chisel to knock out the joints. I just hope I can find some replacements. I got a guy in Ohio from Driveline trying to match some up. Fingers crossed.
hell man you were in the other thread with me a couple years ago, it is:

precision j-joint 399.

Drive shaft U Joint question
Forest Gump is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2010, 05:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Forrest, you have a better memory than me. I forgot about that thread.

That thread was back when I first bought the Stealth RT/TT and I was getting my "to do" list together. The car has basically sat in my driveway for two years untouched. I am kind of starting from scratch again, fixing things as I find them. As I pull parts off I find more problems.

I had to let this project sit because I blew the differential that year and the engine the next year in my base 3000GT. I put all my time getting that one running again. Now it is running good and I can finally get the turbo car going. It should be running by summer.

Thanks for providing that U-joint part number. I looked it up and it is a hollow U-joint. I was hoping to find a solid performance U-joint similar to what is currently installed. If I can't find one I may have to go that way. Problem is I am going for 450 AWHP and I am not sure a greasable U-joint will hold up.

Last edited by Beau_Jester; 03-15-2010 at 06:32 PM. Reason: revision
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > All Wheel Drive - DriveTrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.