Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Clutch Time - What's your thoughts?

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  drgonzo3000 
#1 ·
So I think it may be time to replace the clutch. The Spec 3 disk still has some meat left on it but since I have it apart I might as well go ahead and knock it out. I've run this one about 3 years now without issues. I bought it used from someone that blew their motor after a couple thousand miles.

As you can see from the photos that it has a pretty good amount of wear. Since I don't want to drop the trans again in the next year figured I might as well just swap it out. I also don't want to drop $500-600 on a new clutch since all I need is a new disk.

I know people have had good luck with the XTD clutches and wonder what everyone's thought are on swapping in an XTD disk and reusing the SPEC Pressure plate? Or does anyone have a recommendation for a good disk I can swap in?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
#6 ·
Thanks, I thought they offered a disk replacement but couldn't find it. guess I should have looked on their site... :0

I will be taking my RPS six puck and RPS flywheel out in the next few weeks if you are interested. It only has ~2500 miles but it's had 700HP thrown at it. I like the clutch I just need more holding power.
What kind of price you looking at?

I have an extra 6-puck unsprung XTD clutch disc you can have for the price of shipping if you want it. I went with the sprung one that came with the kit.
Yeah I'm looking to stay with a sprung clutch. not sure how the un sprung 6 puck would do with the Spec pp.

Why not oem disk?
Where do you even get an OEM disk at anymore. Guessing the Exedy is what you are referring to. All I can find for the Exedy ones is a full kit not just a disk.

#10 ·
No clue on milage. Soo much has been done and redone over the years. I would guess 300-350 mostly. Nothing too serious.

oem is about 100 on ebay. 105 on cherry hill.

MR111650
Thansk I'll take a look. Wonder how it would hold on roughly 400-450hp with the Spec PP.

Whats with the odd wear on the pads of that disc? Almost seems as if a good amount wasn't contacting the flywheel or pressure plate.
Pretty typical from what I have seen with some Spec clutches. The pads are larger then both the Stock Flywheel and the Spec PP.

#8 ·
oem is about 100 on ebay. 105 on cherry hill.

MR111650

#13 ·
The spec stage 1 is rated for 498 and that's what you would have.

#17 ·
I have a Spec 4+ disc for sale. Unsprung full face, engages like a stock disc, holds all the powers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.