pro's & con's of deleting the srs computer - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Miscellaneous

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2010, 10:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Andy

Drives: 92 Dodge Stealth R/T
AvengedSario is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default pro's & con's of deleting the srs computer

okay soooo my srs light has been on for a good year its buging the crap outa me im thinking about just riping the srs computer out and smashing it on the ground.the question is will the airbag go off if i unplug the computer???
AvengedSario is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2010, 10:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: a rolling nightmare
durdyvr4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Default Re: pro's & con's of deleting the srs computer

y dont you just pull the bulb...much easier

PARTING OUT A 94 STEALTH R/T N/A....PM FOR PARTS!!!
durdyvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2010, 11:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Slow Learner

Drives: Like a German
x2xtreme360 Level 1x2xtreme360 Level 1x2xtreme360 Level 1
Feedback Score: 17 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by durdyvr4 View Post
y dont you just pull the bulb...much easier
uhhh because that's dumb. If he ever sells the car and the person thinks the thing is working and it isn't then that would suck.

OP, don't smash the computer. Unplugging it will not make the airbags go off but find out why the light is on and get it fixed.

Vacuum reduction, Powdercoated misc, cruise relocate, Evo9 BOV, Custom catch cans, Russell fuel filter, SS braided fuel lines, High flow fuel loop, Autogage fuel gauge, Catless DP, DNP Y-pipe, Fuel pump hotwire.

FS/FT: 94 3000GT base $3k
x2xtreme360 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
3/S owner since 2003.

Drives: 95' GTO ATX TT
ilian51378 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

I unplugged the SRS unit in my ES some time ago and that shut the light off. However, there is no inspection in South Carolina so I was able to get away with that. Some places that do inspection look for the light coming on when the car is started and if it doesn't, they get you for it...

I just installed an aftermarket steering wheel on my car and of course the SRS light came on. I will try to shut it off with a resistor, just as some people with other cars have done and will let you know if I was successful. If it works, you may be able to get away with that as well.

95' Mitsubishi GTO ATX - TT Conversion (15Gs), Paddle Shifters,Tein S-Tech lowering springs, 6000K HIDs, 99' rear garnish, 99' front end, R/T sail panels, Active Aero rear spoiler, Saleen wheels, halos, LED tail lights, gutted pre-cats, 3" straight pipe, straight-flow mufflers.
92' Dodge Stealth ES - SOLD!
http://www.3si.org/wiki/index.php?ti...D._Tail_Lights
http://www.3si.org/wiki/index.php?title=Paddle_Shifters
http://www.3si.org/wiki/index.php?ti...Steering_Wheel
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3847604
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/996619
http://www.3si.org/forum/garage/1239
ilian51378 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2010, 12:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2xtreme360 View Post
uhhh because that's dumb. If he ever sells the car and the person thinks the thing is working and it isn't then that would suck.

OP, don't smash the computer. Unplugging it will not make the airbags go off but find out why the light is on and get it fixed.
yeah and if he were to sell the car y not just put it back in...you really dont have to be a dick...i just gave a simple solution to a stupid problem. not only that but if he pulls the plug on the srs unit it would still have the same problem. the light would be off and therefore the next owner would believe it was working when it isnt. either way the best thing to do is to fix the problem in which case you are correct
Old 04-05-2010, 12:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Slow Learner

Drives: Like a German
x2xtreme360 Level 1x2xtreme360 Level 1x2xtreme360 Level 1
Feedback Score: 17 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by durdyvr4 View Post
yeah and if he were to sell the car y not just put it back in...you really dont have to be a dick...i just gave a simple solution to a stupid problem. not only that but if he pulls the plug on the srs unit it would still have the same problem. the light would be off and therefore the next owner would believe it was working when it isnt. either way the best thing to do is to fix the problem in which case you are correct
Not being a dick in any way. Too many people suggest that pulling the bulb is the right way to do things. It doesn't matter if it's your brake light, SRS, CEL, or any other light for that matter. Those lights are annoying, yes, but they are on to annoy you in hopes that you check out the problem. How many times does something get passed from one person to the next with information "forgetting" to be exchanged. I would be pretty pissed to find out that a bulb was pulled from my cluster just so it appeared to be problem free.
x2xtreme360 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2010, 01:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
95 Base

31508 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Why don't you just take the car to a dealer and have them reset it. Can't imagine it would cost more than $30 - $40.
31508 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2010, 01:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2xtreme360 View Post
Not being a dick in any way. Too many people suggest that pulling the bulb is the right way to do things. It doesn't matter if it's your brake light, SRS, CEL, or any other light for that matter. Those lights are annoying, yes, but they are on to annoy you in hopes that you check out the problem. How many times does something get passed from one person to the next with information "forgetting" to be exchanged. I would be pretty pissed to find out that a bulb was pulled from my cluster just so it appeared to be problem free.
agreed. its just sometimes when reading shit it comes across as differently than intended i suppose. i wasnt suggesting that it was the correct way to do it but if one was afraid the bags may go off(which they wont) it would be safer to pull the bulb untill the said problem was solved.. either way chances are the prob is a clockspring
Old 04-05-2010, 01:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 91 RTTT 92TTFWD
LeRoyDL Level 1LeRoyDL Level 1
Feedback Score: 57 reviews

i doubt many dealers even have tools to work on the 1st gens anymore.
LeRoyDL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2010, 01:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 93stealth-91vr4
93stealthman is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

I can confirm that the computer can still ignite the airbag when the light is on. I honestly believe the light will come on after a period of ten years on a perfectly fine car. I do not know a definite answer to all but it is known when power is unwillingly shut off the computer trips a code. The computer also trips a code after an ignition of an airbag, but I also believe the computer to have a part on the board that ages to the point it trips a code(planned obsolescence kind of thing) The manual even states to have the system checked around that time. The function of our airbag system is quite archaic. One sensor in the srs unit along with two front crash sensors, only one front and srs are needed to make the car ignite the bag. After a crash the old computer will still work, though the light may be on the computer still works.
93stealthman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Miscellaneous

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.