DRBII Instructions and Questions, SRS light fix - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Miscellaneous

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (2) Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2004, 10:58 PM   2 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1 (permalink)
Wrenchmonkey #839

Drives: Milfs crazy
John Monnin Level 2John Monnin Level 2John Monnin Level 2John Monnin Level 2John Monnin Level 2
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Default DRBII Instructions and Questions, SRS light fix

EDIT: I made a webpage to summarize this thread:
http://www.wrenchmonkey.com/Webpages/DRB.html

Download SRS diagnostic manual! http://www.wrenchmonkey.com/Images/SRS%20Manual/SRS.pdf

I got irritated trying to deal with dealer to get my SRS light reset $100 a pop to have dealer check codes. after 2 failed tries I finally got pissed and bought a DRBII off Ebay to reset it. There is not a lot of information the DRB II on the internet. I learned some hard lessions and I thought I would share them with everyone. Eventually I will post a webpage. I now own 2 DRBIIs but I don't have all the adpaters to use one of them.

IF you want to diagnose the Airbag (SRS) system on your car you will need a DRBII (Chrysler version) or a MUTTII (Mitsubishi version) The DRBII is easier to find so that is all I have experience with.

A DRBII is a special dealer only diagnostic tool that was not sold to the general public. Now that newer versions are available you can often find them on EBay. If you buy from EBay you need to make sure you get EVERY part you need.

1. DRBII Main control Box. This is a 4.5x 8” box with digital display.
2. DRB Cartridge for your car. The best cartridge is a “Super Cartridge” A Super Cartridge covers multiple years and cars. A very desirable cartridge in the blue 91-93 Super Cartridge. This will work for All 91-93 Chrysler, Dodge Stealth 3000GT and DSMs. Most DRBIIs are sold with no cartridges at all, or a cartage that has very limited usage so be carefull.
3. MMC Adapter. This is a 3x6” box with wiring harnesses that allow a DRBII to connect to a DSM, 3000GT or Stealth. Many DRBII are Not sold with this adapter but I have found the adapter sold separately
4. Optional Co-Pilot. This is a data recorder that is installed in car. When intermittent problem occurs you hit a button to record. A DRBII is needed to download the stored data.
5. Optional is 94 Y-cable. This harness is needed to connect to 94 & 95 DSM, 3000GTs and Stealths. Please Note: If you do not have a 94 compatible cartridge this is useless.

Solidworks models of 3S engine parts: http://www.wrenchmonkey.com/Images/Solids/3000gt2005/

Last edited by John Monnin; 02-02-2008 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Add link to WEbpage
John Monnin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2004, 11:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wrenchmonkey #839

John Monnin Level 2John Monnin Level 2John Monnin Level 2John Monnin Level 2John Monnin Level 2
Default Re: DRBII Instructions and Questions, SRS light fix

General: How to Use the DRB tool

To reach help menu at Anytime press and hold the [F3]
To move forward or backward one item at a time within a menu, press the up or down arrow keys
To select and item, press the item number or move the arrows to the desired item and press enter.
To return to a previous display, press ATM
To monitor one item of a multiple-item display, move the arrows to the desired item and press ENTER.
To freeze a variable display time, press READ/HOLD. To unfreeze the item, press READ/HOLD again.
To restart the DRBII, hold MODE and press ATM at the same time

AIRBAG (SRS) DIAGNOSIS

Connect the DRBII to the vehicle as follows.
1. Connect the 8-way DIN connector of the DBRII to the 8-way DIN connector of the MMC Adapter
2. Plug the 12-way diagnostic connector of the MMC Adapter into the diagnostic connector of the vehicle. The vehicle’s diagnostic connector is located on the LH side of the dash next to the fuse box.
3. Attach the red alligator clip the battery positive terminal. Note: attach the red alligator clip last, after the other two connectors are connected.
Turn the Vehicles ignition switch to the “RUN” position. Note: Do not touch the keypad during the DRBII power-up sequence or an error will result.

The DRBII will display the vervsion and rev level of the software for a short time.

After A few seconds the main menus will come up Note the menu is larger than the display screen so you will have to use the down arrows to see all of the options.
---- DRB II ----
1) VEHICLES TESTED
2) HOW TO USE
3) CONFIGURE
4) SELECT SYSTEM

Select “4) SELECT SYSTEM”

---- DRB II ----
1) ENGINE
2) TRANSMISSION
3) SUSPENSION
4) ABS
5) AIR BAG

Select “5) AIR BAG” The sysyem will display the ECU number and after a few seconds go to the air bag menu

---- AIR BAG MENU ----
1) SYSTEM TESTS
2) READ CODES
3) STATE DISPLAY
4) ACTUATOR TESTS
5) ADJUSTMENTS

Select “2) Read Codes”
It will either display “No codes detected” or list the error codes 1 at a time. You must use the down arrow to see every code before you can erase any codes.

Press the “ATM” button. The display will change to read as follows

---- AIR BAG MENU ----
1) ERASE CODES
2) DON’T ERASE CODES

Select “1) ERASE CODES” to erase the codes. If there is a problem the code can not be erased until it is fixed. Below is a list of air bag codes.

AIRBAG CODES:

(11) G-sensor trouble 1 (short) Sometimes bad sensor even when resistance is correct
(12) G-Sensor Trouble 2 (1 Open)
(13) G-Sensor Trouble 3 (2 Open)
(21) Squib Trouble 1 (Short)
(22) Squib Trouble 2 (Open)
(31) Condensor Voltage High
(32) Condensor Voltage Low
(33) Cranking Trouble
(34) Connector Unlocked, This is grounding bar on back of SRS ECU., flip it down and it should be fixed
(41) Ignition Voltage Low 1, Battery Probably went dead slowly at one time
(42) Ignition Voltage Low 2, Battery Probably went dead slowly at one time
(43) SRS lamp Trouble 1
(44) SRS lamp Trouble 2
(45) Diagnostic Module
Old 06-21-2004, 11:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wrenchmonkey #839

I alost forgot my questions.

Anyone using this with 94 or 95 cars? I have not found a cartrige for this yet...

Old 06-22-2004, 12:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1991 3000GT VR-4
Chris GTO TT Level 3Chris GTO TT Level 3Chris GTO TT Level 3Chris GTO TT Level 3Chris GTO TT Level 3Chris GTO TT Level 3Chris GTO TT Level 3
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

How much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla
They voted Chris GTO TT’s car having the best roo of all.
Chris GTO TT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2004, 07:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wrenchmonkey #839

I paid $370 for a DRBII that did not have the supercard, so I couldn't use it.
I paid $300 for 2nd DRBII that did not have the Mitsubishi adapters
The Mitsubishi adapters go for about $60 if you are luccky and a Supercard can cost as much as $100.

Average it all out and you can expect to pay over $400 for a used DRBII
The prices vary ALOT on ebay I have seen them go for $600.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
I'm a dude.

Drives: 15geed 92 rt tt
Toni Level 2Toni Level 2Toni Level 2Toni Level 2Toni Level 2
Feedback Score: 91 reviews

This sounds like a good thing for a group of people to pile their money together to get. SRS lights are common enough that it would sure save some money.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 92 VR-4, 95 VR-4 Spy
Michaelsantique is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Yesterday I was told if you connect a volt meter to the number 1 pin ( use the black, neg wire) and to the number 12 pin (use the red + wire) and with the ignition in the on position, you can get the code by counting the spikes of the meter ..... then use the code book ..... I have not tried this and was only told about it yesterday .... and only just caught you thread...
Michaelsantique is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2004, 12:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
I'm a dude.

Drives: 15geed 92 rt tt
Toni Level 2Toni Level 2Toni Level 2Toni Level 2Toni Level 2
Feedback Score: 91 reviews

what code book?
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2004, 02:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wrenchmonkey #839

The only way to reset a SRS light is with a DRBII DRBIII, MUTTII, MUTTIII or maybe one of the new diagnostic tools that cost about $4000.

Anybody that tells you otherwise doesn't know what they are talking about.

The DRBII is REALLY easy to use

Last edited by John Monnin; 03-25-2007 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 99 VR4
SHiVeR-91VR4 Level 1SHiVeR-91VR4 Level 1
Feedback Score: 114 reviews

I have the 94/95 cable, but not the cartridge. SO if you find one, let me know and I can possibly test it out to see if it actually works.
SHiVeR-91VR4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Miscellaneous

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:
Real Name(First & Last)
(Required/Hidden)
Mailing Address(Street)
(Required/Hidden)
City
(Required/Hidden)
State
(Required/Hidden)
Zip
(Required/Hidden)
Country