Does Barometric Pressure and Humidity affect our cars more than other cars? - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Miscellaneous

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2003, 04:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Finally back!

Drives: 1999 3000GT SL
AustinGT is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Does Barometric Pressure and Humidity affect our cars more than other cars?

I was thinking about my problem the other day while talking to a body who has a highly modified 5.0 and he was talking about how the Humidity and Borometric Pressure (BP) affected his times. In my case I ran a 14.8 @ 96 when it was very low humidity and very high BP and about 40 degrees. Since I have been having problems it and when I made my best 15.6 @ 91 it has been very humid (90%) and the BP has been lower and the Temps have been up to 70 degrees. Will high humidity, low BP, and higher temps cause me to loose .8 on my ET and 5 MPH on my traps? Does the humidty and BP affect our cars more than other cars for some reason?

AustinGT
-Borla Cat Back Exhaust System
-Custom Test pipe
-Custom Leather interior

1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT DOHC - TOTALED AS OF 1/27/04

1998 Honda Accord VTEC - Daily Driver
2002 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8T - Wife's Car

AIM - AustinGT3

1/4 Mile - 14.82@95.58 <-the last run of the '94
AustinGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2003, 09:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 03 Cobra
rtstealth is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

I think it affects imports more than american made cars due to the smaller more compact engines and there high compression ratios. It does however have an affect on all cars no matter what make or model.
rtstealth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2003, 11:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

po' petey is an unknown quantity at this point

to any tuners & real mechanics

urban myth: advancing timing one degree for every thousand feet elevation?
po' petey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2003, 08:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Fanatic

Drives: 1992 Stealth R/T TT
Jeff Lucius is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool

The Mitsubishi ECU in our cars automatically advances timing by about 5 at higher altitude. No. Not a myth; read the service manual.

Humidity (water vapor in the air) does reduce the oxygen content but the effect, while real, is almost negligible. In fact, the cooling effect of the vapor on the intake charge probably compensates for the very slightly reduced O2 content.

Altitude always reduces the available oxygen per cubic foot of air (lower density, lower pressure). ALL engines are effected, regardless of country of origin, displacement, or compression ratio. Forced induction engines can compensate somewhat for the reduced O2 content by increasing boost.
Old 04-23-2003, 08:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Finally back!

Drives: 1999 3000GT SL
AustinGT is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the info. It answered half of my question. But will the changes in Humidity, BP, and Temps make the difference that I had between my best time and what I am running now?

AustinGT
AustinGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2003, 09:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
-

Drives: nothing registered
TajMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 25 reviews

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Lucius
Forced induction engines can compensate somewhat for the reduced O2 content by increasing boost.
Does this mean that you can run slightly higher boost in high altitudes without more knock, or will it knock at the same psi in both situations?
Old 04-23-2003, 12:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Fanatic

Drives: 1992 Stealth R/T TT
Jeff Lucius is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool

Without forced induction, engines tend not to knock as readily at higher altitudes because the intake charge is less dense. That is why 93 octand gas is sold in Ohio (600' asl), 91 octane gas in Denver, CO (5-6000' asl) and 87 octane gase is sold in Keystone, CO (10,000' asl).

With forced induction, you have to consider what the "boost" really is. A 10 psig (psi gauge) boost setting means that the manifold pressure is 10 psi higher than the atmospheric pressure. At sea level, 10 psi of boost means a total manifold pressure of 14.7 psi plus 10 psi or 24.7 psia (psi absolute). In Denver, CO, where normal atmospheric pressure about 12 psi, 10 psi boost means a total manifold pressure of only 22 psia.

So if all else is equal, the same engine with the same boost settings at sea level and in Colorado, the tendency to knock should be less in Colorado because the intake charge is less dense (less real pressure so charge is less dense).

In Colorado, we need 2.7 psi of boost to just be at the same intake charge density as an engine with 0 boost at sea level. And that's what I mean about a forced induction engine can compensate for the thinner air by increasing boost. Normally aspirated engines just have to live with it.
Jeff Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2003, 03:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
-

Drives: nothing registered
TajMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 25 reviews

Well that seems like good news to me up here in Utah. I can run a few higher psi according to the gauge and not knock where as somone at sea level reading that much psi would be knocking.
TajMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Miscellaneous

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.