Montero ECU 1G 3kgt - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Advanced Technical Discussions > ECU Tuning

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

chillyvr4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Montero ECU 1G 3kgt

i have a 92 3KGT with stock turbos 550CC injectors and arc2. and this is what i want to do but im having difficulty trying to find all the info i need to jump on this project i want to do.. heres the project.. i want to put a montero ecu in my car.
theres a shop near me that can do it for around 1000k bucks.. but im on a budget and would like to be able to do it my self and tune it my self. i am a machinist so i have good mechanical skill level. my questions are

1. i know ill need a 98-99 montero ecu
2. does it matter which montero 3.5L, 3.0?
3. does someone have a write up of what i would need to change on the ecu to make it work in my car
4. and what part are needed to flash
5. what software to use
ive done alot of reading but i was hoping a few of you guys would be be able to point me in the right direction. or if i should just pay the shop to do.

yes my spelling is bad.. im at work limited time to correct
chillyvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 93 VR4 & 91 VR4
VR3.9 Level 1VR3.9 Level 1VR3.9 Level 1
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Default Re: Montero ECU 1G 3kgt

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillyvr4 View Post
i have a 92 3KGT with stock turbos 550CC injectors and arc2. and this is what i want to do but im having difficulty trying to find all the info i need to jump on this project i want to do.. heres the project.. i want to put a montero ecu in my car.
theres a shop near me that can do it for around 1000k bucks.. but im on a budget and would like to be able to do it my self and tune it my self. i am a machinist so i have good mechanical skill level. my questions are

1. i know ill need a 98-99 montero ecu
2. does it matter which montero 3.5L, 3.0?
3. does someone have a write up of what i would need to change on the ecu to make it work in my car
4. and what part are needed to flash
5. what software to use
ive done alot of reading but i was hoping a few of you guys would be be able to point me in the right direction. or if i should just pay the shop to do.

yes my spelling is bad.. im at work limited time to correct
Read the threads on flashing the ecu. You will need to by the adapter cable for the 3 to 4 prong difference. Also the cable for flashing and the software.

Whatever you do, do not pay the shop to do it. Unless they are on this site they will have no clue how to do this. That is not a guess. Post up the guys screen name who says he can do it.......

This is a recent advancement on this platform. If he thinks he can do this because he's tuned an STI or DSM, he is confused.

Most powerful 13T car on the planet @501awhp, PTE 780CC injectors, AFPR, E85, Greddy Profec B, 3.5" Granatelli MAF, MAFT, Apexi ITC, SS Headers and O2 housings, 3SX downpipe, CRX racing FMIC, Dejon intake pipes, Ground Controls, Maximal adjustable rear control arms, Maximal TC Brace, Poly front and rear mounts, Vacuum Reduction, EGR block off plate, Hot Wired Walbro 255 and inline Walbro 255, Southbend stage 3 clutch, Slotted and vented rotors, SAFCII, Turbo XS BOV, 3SX FP hotwire, Seatle Short Shifter, Jackhammer timing gears: Best 1/4 mile 12.33 at 114.9 mph 1.79 60ft.
VR3.9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 04:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

The shop is english racing in camas Washington.. the only reason why I want to do this is because my car isn't running correct right now. It idles rough nearly dying then when I mess with the arc2 it will idle fine then I go to rev the motor and it sputters and dies then I'll do more adjusting till it will idle and rev but every time on the decelerating it dies the motor has 35k miles it just had 550cc injectors I've pulled the iac cleaned it and all that so my last thought is it just needs to be tuned right now it's just running straight off the manifolds and yep that's where I'm at that's what the shop said is left and it may be out if time. I just need this car going my Hyundai is killing my pride. And I'm about to need awd.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Also what about "the original vr4 clone" ecu is that as easy as it sounds?
Old 01-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Drives: Women Crazy
bfarnam is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

The Montero ECUs will not work 100% with out the proper hardware modifications to the actual ECU. There are differences.

So for $1000 . . . that is a RIPOFF!

And yes, the VR4 Clone is as easy as it sounds. It is a drop in almost 100% plug n play solution. On the 1G cars there are a few extras that you ahve to do, but on the 2G it is damn near plug n play.

The "other board" has all the information you need. just search for Chrome ECU (that is the software) and Clone VR4 ECU (that is the hardware). I make the hardware and Greg (aka Monochrome) does the software.

PM me if you have any questions!

Brett
Remember, if it's not a Clone, it's just a copy!

Get Chromed!
Donate Now and receive a coupon code for the amount of your donation (up to $50.00 US) which you can apply at check out for a Clone2 ECU, Plug n Play Harness, or Clone2 Plug n Play Package!!
1999 3000GT VR4
Glacier Pearl White
Yeah it's stock . . . trust me
How To Contact Me:
eMail: brett_farnam@yahoo.com
US3S/3SGTO: 99 vr4
3SI: bfarnam

Last edited by bfarnam; 01-06-2013 at 01:31 PM.
bfarnam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
General & A/V Moderator

Drives: Twinzies
ChargerX3 Level 2ChargerX3 Level 2ChargerX3 Level 2ChargerX3 Level 2ChargerX3 Level 2
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

There are two guys offering modified 98-99 ecus. Brett is one of them and he does a great job. You can run a 98 Montero ecu but certain circuits will be disabled. It will need to be the 3 plug, not the 4. I would go the full conversion route though.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Drives: Women Crazy
bfarnam is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerX3 View Post
There are two guys offering modified 98-99 ecus. Brett is one of them and he does a great job. You can run a 98 Montero ecu but certain circuits will be disabled. It will need to be the 3 plug, not the 4. I would go the full conversion route though.
MD349506 needs some modification. You can run it, but trust me when I tell you that the ECU will not respond correctly and you run the risk of long term engine relaibility and damage. I am not going to go into it here as this is the wrong place. But this is not a "drop in" candidate.
bfarnam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Advanced Technical Discussions > ECU Tuning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.