6G72 TT in 87 Starion - trying to start finally - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Advanced Technical Discussions > ECU Tuning

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Turbo_Addict is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 6G72 TT in 87 Starion - trying to start finally

Hey all,

It's been close to 2 years on this build, but finally got to the point of getting the MS2 installed, wired up, and hopefully ready to breath life into this gal finally. Problem is, I am lost - I am far from an expert when it comes to tuning, especially when it comes to the ignition, so I am reaching out, hopefully won't sound too stupid, and hopefully get it to at least fire and idle sometime soon.

Ok, here is the high level. This is a total custom project that I purchased before it was done, and made some modifications to it. Changed the transmission to a c4 auto (going to be mainly drag car but still street legal), changed the ECU to MS2 customized for use for 3 X GM MSD coil packs, and some other things that really don't matter for the tuning/programming discussion.

Be gentle, I'm a newbie with a LOT of this stuff. hehe

The MS2 was purchased through DIY Autotune and they modified it to work with the MSD coil packs, i.e.:

Here is the list of how the MS2 was built:

The motor has the 92' style sensor on the back of the cam, from what I was told it has the cam angle and crank position in one sensor. It's a 4 wire sensor, power and ground, and what I'd assume is the crank angle and cam positioning signal wires.

Here is how I've wired up the car - no idle air controller or step downs, very basic config:

I am currently using EFI Tuner Studios instead of Megatune - not sure if that is ok or not, would like feedback on that as well, but can't see why it'd be that different. Here are the fuel and spark constants - I am 99% sure I am 100% incorrect on these But as I've mentioned, I really just don't have a bunch of background there. The old g54b starion motors were a lot simpler, and the aftermarket ECU I used on that set up came pre-programmed, so I never needed to dive this far into it.

Spark constants:

Additional spark settings:

Fuel constants:

Additional fuel settings:

So how far off am I really? Current status is, on turning the car on, ECU registers with the laptop, fuel pump powers on, fuel pressure rises to 40psi and holds, no leaks. Crank the car and starter engages, engine turns and basically sounds like it is trying to start without a hint of spark.

Any information, direction, ets, would be greatly appreciated. I know that the initial start is the hard part, and after that, I've had very good luck with megatune in the past - it's just getting it to run.

Thanks in advance! Hoping you can help me bring life into this gal!

Last edited by Turbo_Addict; 11-03-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Turbo_Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 04:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
ATOLDASO

Drives: 91 Stealth TT
Hard AttacK is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Default Re: 6G72 TT in 87 Starion - trying to start finally

That is the hottest thing I've ever seen.

NBF
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatecrasher
DSM owner = king of how fast can i go for $26.
91tt-money bitch
92tt-daily bitch
Hard AttacK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 04:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Duper Mod

Drives: deals
lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3
Feedback Score: 100 reviews

Hopefully we can get a megasquirt guy in here to help you out. In the meantime, I'll try to pick my jaw up from the floor. The swap looks awesome. I might PM you with questions as I debate a similar swap into a Miata. Thank you for posting your project!
Originally Posted by ray pampena View Post
Cant we all just smile and get along?
No!
lawdogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 97 vr4
andronitrate is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

cant help but had to comment. the motor looks beastly when mounted properly, you should send that pic to mitsubishi titled "fixed".
Old 11-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Thanks! I'm really happy with it so far... it's not perfect of course, but everything can be tweaked over time. Can't wait to get it running and see those cam gears all spinning in sync.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 92 RT/TT, 96 Cobra
RealMcCoy Level 2RealMcCoy Level 2RealMcCoy Level 2RealMcCoy Level 2RealMcCoy Level 2RealMcCoy Level 2
Feedback Score: 38 reviews

I have very little experience with Megasquirt, but I suspect I know where your problem lies... Most cam signals are 360 crankshaft degrees in duration high, then 360 degrees low to identify #1 cylinder.

The mitsu cam and crank signals (regardless of if you have the 1st gen CAS or 2nd gen CMP/CKP sensors) has three equally spaced crank sensor pulses per revolution (six pulses in a 720 degree firing cycle) and four cam pulses per camshaft revolution.(A 720 degree firing cycle) One of the cam pulses is longer than the other three to identify #1 cylinder.

I have no knowledge of how you program the Megasquirt to accept that configuration, but I know it's been done...
Old 11-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
popups FTW

Drives: 1992 VR4
eengler2 Level 1eengler2 Level 1
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

I'm no help for MS but engine looks awesome! Love the intake mani and view of cam gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

Huge performance engine related sale.....
http://www.3si.org/forum/f4/huge-6g-...5/#post7903577
eengler2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 06:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMcCoy View Post
I have very little experience with Megasquirt, but I suspect I know where your problem lies... Most cam signals are 360 crankshaft degrees in duration high, then 360 degrees low to identify #1 cylinder.

The mitsu cam and crank signals (regardless of if you have the 1st gen CAS or 2nd gen CMP/CKP sensors) has three equally spaced crank sensor pulses per revolution (six pulses in a 720 degree firing cycle) and four cam pulses per camshaft revolution.(A 720 degree firing cycle) One of the cam pulses is longer than the other three to identify #1 cylinder.
Great information, thanks! I'm sure that will help in my research!
Old 11-04-2012, 08:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Pay it forward

Drives: With Both Hands
Adam7 Level 1Adam7 Level 1
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

More Pics!!!
1998 3000GT SL: TT Conversion w/Chrome V2 ECU @13psi. IPS downpipe, Racepipe, Borla catback, Catless, polished Ypipe, Injen filter, Kurama intercooler hose's, 3sx fuel loop, Stm filter to rail, Hotwired fuel pump, Greddy+Mishimotto catch cans, Hallman pro MBC, Msd 8.5wires, FMOC, EVO9 BOV, 18x9 Saleens w/Nitto's, Powerslot rotors, Hawk pads, 5k Hid's,Marqui window tint, Tenzo racing seats, Weight reduction(289lbs),Gasket matched TB/upper/lower plenum,Polished exhaust manifold, Hdr front lip,UP rear strut bar,JDM Tails,Autometer sport comp gauges(center vent & pod) AEM WBO2
Adam7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 09:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 92 Dodge Stealth RT
jonc is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

That looks awesome!

Firestorm Red 92 Stealth FWD RT/TT - Performance: K&N, Magnaflow Exhaust, NGK Spark Plug Wires, SUPERMAC strut bars, Megan Coilovers, ADDCO Rear Sway, Hardrace Toe/Camber Arms Interior: Leather boots, Aluminum Door Grilles, ID Chameleons, US AMPS, Alpine Deck, Alpine Imprint, Custom Battery-in-trunk relocate Exterior: Debadged, Candy Red Valve Covers, STEALTH Spark Plug Cover, Enkei RPF1 Gold 17x8, TT Brake Upgrade, Alum Crank Pulley,TT Conversion, Forged Pistons and Pauter Rods, Lat-42 Pop Up Projectors
jonc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Advanced Technical Discussions > ECU Tuning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.