Will piston rings seal in time for the Texas Gathering? - Page 8 - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #71 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 1991 Stealth ES
westcott is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Default Re: Will piston rings seal in time for the Texas Gathering?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djmba View Post
To my surprise, I made A's on all of my finals and A's for all of my final course grades Calculus 2 was easy (I worked the eight problem test in twice in under 45 minutes) but physics and linear algebra were a shocker because I was certain I would make B's and music appreciation was simple, especially for someone who has been playing for 10 years and already knew most of the material. Lol.

As for the car, the O2 sensor I bought was from someone on here in Canada and unfortunately, it never arrived. He issued a full refund and I told him if it showed up I would resend payment. I honestly don't think it is the problem though now because I discovered that exhaust leak by the O2. I think that was the reason for it reading low. I plan on doing a whole bunch of stuff in the next week or so and fixing that leak will be one of them. In the meantime, I have thought about getting a small C-clamp and tightening it down where the leak is, but I feel like that would be EXTREMELY ghetto. Lol. A couple of days ago I received my OBDI-Bluetooth adapter I bought from the group buy (AWESOME product) and I have logged with it quite a few times. I really haven't been able to make it knock at all and yesterday I was really dogging on it. The highest total knock count I have gotten at the end of a log was 2-3 and that was like 20 minutes of rompin' on it. I wanted to hook up my other datalogger to verify or see if there is a difference in the two before I made an update so I didn't "jump the gun" and say it fixed itself.

Have you been following my rebuild thread? (I don't think anyone is interested. Lol. It would be nice to have some followers.) I decided to make it about what I do to the whole car instead of just the engine rebuild. Most of my updates will be in that thread and the knock troubleshooting thread. When I am certain I figured out the knock problem I will post the solution to the knock troubleshooting thread.

What about your engine? I saw that you got another rebuilt block. How is that coming along?
The update above is pretty much where I am at. Waiting on the new pan. I am waiting for my fried chicken to cool, but as soon as I finish eating, I will go find your rebuild thread and catch up on your progress.

Happy Holidays to you and yours!!!!

Original Owner, ROTM-March 2013, ROTY 2013, Highest WHP N/A 2013, TXG13 3S Sponsor
My mod list can be found in My Garage
westcott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 02:17 PM   #72 (permalink)
Amature-Crastinator

Drives: 95 SOHC, 92 TT
Grandpa Poser is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Djmba, congrats man.

Westcott, fingers crossed buddy, fingers crossed.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:36 AM   #73 (permalink)
Ninja Performance

Drives: Vicki Insane
Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4
Feedback Score: 224 reviews

Break in should happen in an afternoon. Slowly increasing revs and throttle until you run WOT to redline after about 12 pulls. Done. Rings seat with being pushed against the wall. Break in easy and this does not happen.

-Chris

91VR4-3.0L-Stock heads and Cams-835AWHP 747AWTQ Daily Driver 10.31@142mph on street tires
SLTT-10.9 @ 142MPH Stock NA engine and NA heads/Cams

T4 AWD 9.21 @ 154.98 (Chris Hill Driver/Builder/Tuner Car Owned by 3SX)
T2 FWD 10.19 @ 140.31 (Chris Hill Driver/Builder/Tuner Car Owned by 3SX)
T4-159.23 MPH Ran on 6G72 3.1L! (Chris Hill Driver/Builder/Tuner Car Owned by 3SX)
T4-995AWHP Uncorrected 6G72 3.0L C16 (Chris Hill Driver/Builder/Tuner Car Owned by 3SX)
T2-820FWHP 3.1L 27psi C16 (Chris Hill Driver/Builder/Tuner Car Owned by 3SX)

3000GT/Stealth Drag and Dyno Database
Import Power is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 09:08 AM   #74 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Import Power View Post
Break in should happen in an afternoon. Slowly increasing revs and throttle until you run WOT to redline after about 12 pulls. Done. Rings seat with being pushed against the wall. Break in easy and this does not happen.

-Chris
Thanks.

I will be doing this today. Sounds like I should go up the RPM range by about 500rpm for each pull.

First engine had bearing failure and lost oil pressure within 43 miles.

Lets hope I have better luck this time.

Last edited by westcott; 02-04-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #75 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Poser View Post
Djmba, congrats man.

Westcott, fingers crossed buddy, fingers crossed.
Just an update on this thread for those not following the build thread.

DOHC NA Engine Transmission Removal Photo Log

I finally got the correct pan locally. All the bolt holes lined up with the block and the 2nd gen oil pump mated up perfectly. The only modification I had to make was to cut off 9/16" from the back of the top bolt hole of the idler pulley adjustment bracket that mounts to the oil pump. You know, the one with the long bolt.

Some friends came over and helped me drop the engine in the compartment. This went very smoothly except the chain had popped a hole in the front valve cover. So, Djmba had a spare and I decided to clean it up before installing it. It took a lot of time to polish to a reflective shine but it does look good. I also did the top of the radiator.

I have everything installed except the battery and the two half shafts. I topped off the fluids last night and checked for leaks this morning before work. All looks good. I will slide in the half shafts and bleed the clutch and mechanical oil pressure gauge line when I get home. Then I will get to fire her up.

I want to thank everyone for their support and guidance. It has been quiet a roller coaster ride but I am hoping I can start to enjoy the fruits of my labor.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:49 AM   #76 (permalink)
Ninja Performance

Drives: Vicki Insane
Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4
Feedback Score: 224 reviews

Just remember, the ONLY part that breaks in during a new engine break in is the piston rings. (and new cams)

Bearings don't need any "break in". If they spin, it isn't cause you didn't break it in easy.

-Chris
Import Power is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #77 (permalink)
Drunk as a lord

Drives: 1995 Stealth TT
Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2
Feedback Score: 103 reviews

if you don't mind, did you find a cause of the bearing failure?

Pampena 3.5 Stroker, TiAL DR750s, ETS FMIC, FIC 1050s, Walbro 416/485, E85, Chrome ECU, 85mm MAF, Dejon intake pipes, Tial QR, DN Precats, Tanabe Medallion Touring, 3sx Single Pass Rad, Samco Hoses, Stoptechs,, Tein S-Techs, Bilstein HDs, Southbend FE Clutch, 300M O/S, Billet T-Case, 5 Speed Trans
Forest Gump is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #78 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Gump View Post
if you don't mind, did you find a cause of the bearing failure?
No. The machinist blamed it on oil contamination but made no attempt to take any measurements of the engine components as requested.

I was not impressed by his lack of effort or answer, but since he provided a new long block assembly, it was really here nor there, in the end.

Last edited by westcott; 02-04-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #79 (permalink)
Drunk as a lord

Drives: 1995 Stealth TT
Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2
Feedback Score: 103 reviews

good and bad I guess
Forest Gump is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 06:14 PM   #80 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Gump View Post
good and bad I guess
It seems to be the way of the world, now a days. I doubt he would have warranted the motor if it was not a build mistake. Just did not want to admit it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.