Where is the magic wheel calculator???? - Page 2 - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 03:45 AM   #11 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 1992 Stealth RT/TT
Lunchbox is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Default Re: Where is the magic wheel calculator????

Answer one more question and I will be able to put this thing to rest. I have come to terms with the $800+ that it's going to cost to fix and refinish my wheels. I have expressed some interest in the 2g brakes to someone that has them up for sale on this site. I want to have all my ducks in a row before I let him know that I am going to pass. If the 2g's won't clear my OEM 17's on the front I can live with that, not a lot of difference really. The rears are what I was really concerned with. Can anyone tell me what doesn't clear on the rears? Is it the second piston that is on the outward side of the caliper? If so can it be shaved or is it just not gonna happen? I do not like the single piston rears and really want to at least go with the second gen twin piston. If it's a no-go I'd like to be able to go ahead and make my peace with it. Thank's by the way for the info guys.

Mods: Latitude 42 HID projector conversion, Snake-Eyes headlight controller, Renegade Tech Works full 3 stage ECS, Full interior Dynamat (the right way), Fuel pump relay bypass, Poly front and rear motor mounts, Tein S Techs, R1 Concepts cross drilled/slotted rotors, gutted pre cats, K&N drop in filter.

Vehicles:
White 1992 Stealth RT/TT (Stock)
White 2011 Ford Crown Vic (Company Car)
Another German toy on extended leave with me by it's owner.
Lunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 04:43 AM   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member

martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

oz f1 17s fit over rears and fronts no problem
I have them on mine
Old 11-30-2012, 06:04 AM   #13 (permalink)
I'm a Member

Drives: GTO 1996
MichaelMR2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Go the 2G brake kit if you have spare money, don't pay silly money for it though as I just can't see all 4 calipers being worth that much...

the 2G kit will allow you to clear down to probably even 16" wheels lol
Old 11-30-2012, 06:28 AM   #14 (permalink)
Twin Turbo

Drives: 1990 GTO TT
GTOJOE is an unknown quantity at this point

An offset of +35 is prob your best bet. Most websites will allow you to buy wheels by car. In your case select a 2nd gen car and start searching. Just make sure they have some sort of return policy incase the website says they will fit but they physically don't. I bought some wheels that way and shipped to Australia and they didn't fit. Had to run a spacer to clear 1st gen calipers.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using AutoGuide App
1990 JDM GTO TT with Vi-PEC plug-in V44 EMS, TD04-13T's, 3SX Downpipe, MP Hi-flow cat, ARC SMIC's, Aeromotive Stealth 340LPH pump, Fuelab 515 FPR, Ninja Performance 75amp hotwire kit, oohnoo fuel loop & rail adapters, Nylon braided ethanol fuel line, NGK AFX Wideband, K&N FIPK, Iridium plugs, Turbo XS racing BOV, 3SX poly mounts, Custom 280km/h speedo.

Waiting install
Injector Dynamics 725cc, HKS Twin Spark DLI.

Helpful stuff
How to convert a JDM 180km/h speedo to 280km/h

Understanding MAF part numbers and compatibility
GTOJOE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 06:33 AM   #15 (permalink)
Slowly rebuilding...

Drives: '94 Base
nihilism5150 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogg View Post
Just use math and you can figure all of it out. Use the OEM 18x8.5" +46mm wheels for reference and go from there.
Mmmmm I love it when Imperial and SI get together

But seriously, use that diagram and you'll find out which wheels fit.
time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
It is its natural manure."

- Thomas Jefferson
nihilism5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 09:47 AM   #16 (permalink)
JNS Engineering

Drives: 3000GT Spyder VR4
JimVR4 Level 1JimVR4 Level 1JimVR4 Level 1
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogg View Post
Just use math and you can figure all of it out. Use the OEM 18x8.5" +46mm wheels for reference and go from there.
This is not quite true. The calculators help you figure out how the spacing changes between strut/rim and how much poke the rim has compared to stock. What it DOESN'T tell you is whether the spoke pattern will clear the calipers. This is usually not a problem for the NA cars but for VR4 / TT cars it is usually best to use something that people have CONFIRMED will clear the spokes.

No one can tell FOR SURE if a new untested wheel will clear. If it doesn't clear the spokes then you have to add spacers which effectively reduces the offset and makes the wheel poke out more. So you may not get the look you want.

Mod list (scroll down the page)
JNS Engineering has your Spyders covered (and uncovered too!!)
JimVR4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #17 (permalink)
Super Duper Mod

Drives: deals
lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3
Feedback Score: 100 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVR4 View Post
The calculators help you figure out how the spacing changes between strut/rim and how much poke the rim has compared to stock. What it DOESN'T tell you is whether the spoke pattern will clear the calipers. This is usually not a problem for the NA cars but for VR4 / TT cars it is usually best to use something that people have CONFIRMED will clear the spokes.

No one can tell FOR SURE if a new untested wheel will clear. If it doesn't clear the spokes then you have to add spacers which effectively reduces the offset and makes the wheel poke out more. So you may not get the look you want.
For sure, I should have realized he was asking about spoke fitment over brakes, and this is sage advice!

Also, a great site for unit conversions is http://www.convert-me.com/en/
Originally Posted by ray pampena View Post
Cant we all just smile and get along?
No!
lawdogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.