Where is the magic wheel calculator???? - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 11:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 1992 Stealth RT/TT
Lunchbox is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Angry Where is the magic wheel calculator????

After searching off and on for a year I guess I have to go get a job at Tirerack or go get an engineering degree to find out what wheels fit. I have seen dozens of threads on here where people ask and I have yet to find anyone on here that can give even half an answer. YET!!!! On most of the signatures people are running on the dope (Volk, TE37's, Ray's) whatever. That DID NOT come from the local Discount tire and I'll be damned if you can go to a wheel and tire website and find them using the "Choose your car" input. Every single one of them shows you bubble-gummer pinboard shit that I wouldn't put on a pinto and then the one set of ugly ass OZ wheels that are $1k a wheel. So, 5X144 +38 on a 6.72 centric hub=idontgiveafuckaboutalgebra!!!!!

Anyone wanna stop hogging the magic calculator or shed some light on the real answer? If you don't wanna give up the secret I'll just give you the equation, solve for X, if you can......the gauntlet has been thrown down!

1992 RT/TT on stock ECS with TEIN Type S and Gen 2 TT brake upgrade. Want 18's or (Preferably 19's) that fill out the wheel well or can stick out a tad, just nothing sticking in like happens when you buy wheels and have no clue what the offset is supposed to be. I call it the train car effect. Want to know what numbers I am supposed to have to get this (bolt pattern + Bore + offset + tire size) is it +32, +38, -40?!?!? every time I ask this all just dance around it????

I never get pissed.....NEVER! But I have asked this question so many time in person and on forums and I have read where other people do to and no one answers it, they just dance around it, it's getting really old.

Mods: Latitude 42 HID projector conversion, Snake-Eyes headlight controller, Renegade Tech Works full 3 stage ECS, Full interior Dynamat (the right way), Fuel pump relay bypass, Poly front and rear motor mounts, Tein S Techs, R1 Concepts cross drilled/slotted rotors, gutted pre cats, K&N drop in filter.

Vehicles:
White 1992 Stealth RT/TT (Stock)
White 2011 Ford Crown Vic (Company Car)
Another German toy on extended leave with me by it's owner.
Lunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 11:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 92 Dodge Stealth RT
jonc is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Default Re: Where is the magic wheel calculator????

Why dont you pick out some wheels that you like? And then from there we can help with sizes? I like your stock wheels btw

Firestorm Red 92 Stealth FWD RT/TT - Performance: K&N, Magnaflow Exhaust, NGK Spark Plug Wires, SUPERMAC strut bars, Megan Coilovers, ADDCO Rear Sway, Hardrace Toe/Camber Arms Interior: Leather boots, Aluminum Door Grilles, ID Chameleons, US AMPS, Alpine Deck, Alpine Imprint, Custom Battery-in-trunk relocate Exterior: Debadged, Candy Red Valve Covers, STEALTH Spark Plug Cover, Enkei RPF1 Gold 17x8, TT Brake Upgrade, Alum Crank Pulley,TT Conversion, Forged Pistons and Pauter Rods, Lat-42 Pop Up Projectors
jonc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 11:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1997 VR4
Ryno83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

5x114.3 bolt pattern, approx. 35 offset, 17-18" work best, in between 8 and 9.5" width.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Duper Mod

Drives: deals
lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3
Feedback Score: 100 reviews

Just use math and you can figure all of it out. Use the OEM 18x8.5" +46mm wheels for reference and go from there.

Originally Posted by ray pampena View Post
Cant we all just smile and get along?
No!
lawdogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 12:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Verified Seller

My favorite wheel is the Meister S1 3-peice, second fav is Autostrada Modena three peice split rims and I like the TE37SL, all of them in white.

I like my factory rims also but they need to be redone and one is damaged, previous owner re-shot them and they don't match the car, they are hyper white, not the pearl. And one has a bent lip and is going to peal soon. I have also been told they are crap for handling and can't get a straight answer if they will clear my Gen 2 brakes when I install them.

Ok so on the offset +35 or close. How far back and forth is ok on the bearing? 2deg off and what happens neg and pos? Does the wheel stick out further the more (+) and come in with more (-) or is it the other way around????
Old 11-30-2012, 12:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Lawdog, thank you for that diagram. That at least gets my mind to see what the numbers mean. But what is the centric hub supposed to be? and what hub ring do I need or whatever with an aftermarket wheel? Also, the wheels on yours in you sig pic look perfect if they were white. What are the specs on those and what lowering springs are you using? or are you on coil-overs?

Also, are they serious about these TE37SL being like $1,400 a wheel?!?! If so, never mind. They can get up in the morning and cook me breakfast and I'm not paying that much. I'm not racing this car in any way.

While everyone is answering, will my gen 1 wheels fit over gen 2 brakes?
Old 11-30-2012, 12:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Duper Mod

Drives: deals
lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3
Feedback Score: 100 reviews

Sure. So if you take your wheel off and look inbetween the lug stugs, you'll see a raised circular ring. Think of it like a centering ring on the hub, and the wheel has a circular hole right in the middle to slide onto the ring, to keep it centered.

When the ring on the car is too small for the hole in the wheel, you just need to put some "hubcentric rings" on the car's ring so that the hole in the wheel fits snugly on it.

So to find the right side, figure out how big the wheel's "center bore" is. Our hub rings are 67mm, I think, or close to it. So you'd need rings with 67mm inner diameter, and then the outer diameter would be whatever the center bore of the wheel is.

For example, these are for wheels with a 72mm center bore. MITSUBISHI 3000GT American Racing Hub Centric Rings W726710 - SummitRacing.com

Carrying on, yeah Volks are expensive as hell new. Find a used set - you could score one for $2-$3k or less if you got lucky.

Gen 1 wheels will not fit over 2g TT brakes.

And my setup, the wheels are Rota Grid, 18x9.5 +20mm front +15mm back, and I'm on coilovers. These wheels do come in white.
lawdogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 12:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Ok, some things are getting clearer but not the offset number. In the post above someone says +32 then the next says +46, then the last has a set up of +20 front +15 rear? How does this number move around so much? I'm guessing it has no bearing on height (17,18,19) but does with width (8.5,9.5,10). Is the number the measurement in mm from the rear lip to the hub surface? Or is it the outer lip to hub? what is a safe variance? I'm sorry if I am lost but each person has that number vary a giant amount.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
I'm a Member

Drives: GTO 1996
MichaelMR2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wheel Offset Calculator
Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing

Do not suggest you go larger than 18"s but your call really
Old 11-30-2012, 01:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Not to sound ungrateful, but that last calculator confused me even more. It wants me to add mm clearances and I'm pretty sure it told me to solve for pie at one point and plug that into the cosign of the parabola. Rota Grinds look great, found nothing that comes close to the right size. At this point not being able to ask "I want an 18inch wheel. What offset do I need"? still seems to be the norm. I got numerous different answers here. I am really smart guy but you have the work "calculation" anywhere in it and I become a slobbering monosyllabic troglodyte.
At this point I think I officially give up on doing the 2g brake upgrade and buying aftermarket wheels, whatever. Guess I'm gonna pay fuktards of money to have my stock wheels fixed and re-shot right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.