Whats the best oil for breaking in a new engine? - Page 4 - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2009, 10:16 AM   #31 (permalink)
...550WHP Club...

Drives: My wife insane
Sin'sVr4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Default Re: Whats the best oil for breaking in a new engine?

going to the thinner 10w30 is making her smoke more. will it take some time for the RP to get off the cylinder walls? im pushing her harder so we'll see. But, when i decel it smokes alot more.

551whp 641trq @ 26psi1/4 mile 11.80 @ 117 mph 91 VR4-E85 tune, 19T-HLs, 780 PTE inj, 3SX Fuel loop, ss fuel lines, weisco pistons, 3sx custom forged rods, forged crank, ported heads, HKS DLI, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO wideband, prosport oil and boost guages, aeromotive 1000 FPR,Walbro 400 E85 w/ 3sx hotwire kit w/ STM filter to pump line, Cxracing FMIC, Megan Racing Aluminum radiator, IPS DP, Borla 3" exhaust,Greddy Profec b spec 2, Blitz SS BOV,R1 Drilled slotted rotors, Drag DR-31 rims, RPS stage 4 unsprung clutch, Jacks transmission built tranny and broomfield billet tcase
Sin'sVr4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2009, 10:44 AM   #32 (permalink)
Forum Member

BrianWSNC Level 1BrianWSNC Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I think we have pretty much covered the type of oil to use during the break-in period. I used 30w non-detergent oil, but not sure if that's even available anymore. (ti's probably sold as break-in oil now)

I would like to detail the correct procedure, as was taught to me by some of the best automotive instructors in the east coast, as follows:

1. start engine, visual check for leaks and coolant levels and allow to reach operating temperature.

2. drive car for 15 to 30 mins, lugging the engine. Lugging is keeping RPMs low, but with hard throttle. NO transmission kick down activation.

3. repeat lugging step above from a full stop up to 60 MPH at least 5 times.

The reason you want to "lug" the engine is the explosions inside the combustion chamber is high, pressing the piston rings firmly againest the cylinder wall and seating them. You do not want to rev the engine high because a newly build engine Rod Bearing clearances have the highest chance of spinning until seated into the rods. Rod bearings will have a less likelyhood of spinning after the first cool down and re-start.

This has always given me good results. To date, I have never had to go back into an engine I built using the break-in procedure.

Last edited by BrianWSNC; 09-04-2009 at 11:08 AM.
BrianWSNC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2009, 11:04 AM   #33 (permalink)
...550WHP Club...

wish someone would have said something before...
Old 09-04-2009, 11:19 AM   #34 (permalink)
Drunk as a lord

Drives: 1995 Stealth TT
Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2
Feedback Score: 102 reviews

you sure your turbos are good? Smoke on decel was turbos for me...
Pampena 3.5 Stroker, TiAL DR750s, ETS FMIC, FIC 1050s, Walbro 416/485, Chrome ECU, EVO MAF, Dejon intake pipes, Tial QR, DN Precats, Tanabe Medallion Touring, 3sx Single Pass Rad, Samco Hoses, Stoptechs,, Tein S-Techs, Bilstein HDs, Southbend FE Clutch, 300M O/S, Billet T-Case, 5 Speed Trans
Forest Gump is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2009, 11:31 AM   #35 (permalink)
Part-out IN PROGRESS!!

Drives: 92 StealthTT
916_3kgt is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 17 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Gump View Post
you sure your turbos are good? Smoke on decel was turbos for me...
Same here, wish someone would have told me that before I ripped my engine apart

13g + 9b, full 3" w/Borla, DNP Y-pipe, Greddy Type S BOV, Ground Control coilovers, battery in back, cruise delete, UD pulley, downpipe, gutted cats, ebay cone, NGK wires, South Bend clutch, front tower bar, 245/40/ZR18 w/lighweight rims, back seats/spare tire removed, wingless
916_3kgt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2009, 12:17 PM   #36 (permalink)
never a dull moment

Drives: 93vr4 & 92vr4
DCIV Level 2DCIV Level 2DCIV Level 2DCIV Level 2
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin'sVr4 View Post
wish someone would have said something before...
well throwing money at something is only 1 way to fix something.

Coop

It's a love hate thing
DCIV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2009, 01:57 PM   #37 (permalink)
...550WHP Club...

these are brand new. freshly rebuilt
Old 09-04-2009, 08:53 PM   #38 (permalink)
Ninja Performance

Drives: Vicki Insane
Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4
Feedback Score: 221 reviews

I have read too many articles about not using straight 30WND on break in or even initial startup. It's bad for everything since it is starting at 30W. It's too thick to start an engine on. It is better to start with a store brand 10W30 for initial startup. And even break in.

Runthe startup for 5-10 minutes, then change the oil and filter. No mater how clean you got everything on the build, it's not clean. the oil will clean it up.

-Chris

91VR4-3.0L-Stock heads and Cams-835AWHP 747AWTQ Daily Driver 10.31@142mph on street tires
SLTT-10.9 @ 142MPH Stock NA engine and NA heads/Cams

T4 AWD 9.21 @ 154.98 (Chris Hill Driver/Builder/Tuner Car Owned by 3SX)
T2 FWD 10.19 @ 140.31 (Chris Hill Driver/Builder/Tuner Car Owned by 3SX)
T4-159.23 MPH Ran on 6G72 3.1L! (Chris Hill Driver/Builder/Tuner Car Owned by 3SX)
T4-995AWHP Uncorrected 6G72 3.0L C16 (Chris Hill Driver/Builder/Tuner Car Owned by 3SX)
T2-820FWHP 3.1L 27psi C16 (Chris Hill Driver/Builder/Tuner Car Owned by 3SX)

3000GT/Stealth Drag and Dyno Database
Import Power is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2009, 08:10 AM   #39 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1994 VR-4
Blue3kGTSL is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Import Power View Post
I have read too many articles about not using straight 30WND on break in or even initial startup. It's bad for everything since it is starting at 30W. It's too thick to start an engine on. It is better to start with a store brand 10W30 for initial startup. And even break in.

Runthe startup for 5-10 minutes, then change the oil and filter. No mater how clean you got everything on the build, it's not clean. the oil will clean it up.

-Chris
Except i did mine like 20-30 mins i think.. Then again at 500 and i will be switching to syn. at 2000
Follow my build here!
Blue3kGTSL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2009, 02:32 AM   #40 (permalink)
SOHC you in the FACE

Ondontii Level 1Ondontii Level 1Ondontii Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

rings initially seat the first time you drive the car.

If the cylinder walls glaze, its time to rehone the cylinders.

Chris is correct, you need to do "pulls" the moment the engine has warmed up.

Don't lug the engine. You don't want the engine staying at the same RPM while seating rings.
Never drive at constant speed on the highway or freeway for 500+ miles. Always vary engine RPM.

Initial seating of rings can be done in about 10-20 street pulls/decels up to 2/3 of max RPMS and LOW boost. Then the next 200-800 miles (depending on your ring type) are "break in" where the final wear in happens.

If the motor is smoking after the rings are seated (first couple minutes of driving), you have a problem.

One thing Chris is wrong about is what is wearing. Your cylinder hone has a crosshatch pattern. This crosshatch is usually around a 60 degree angle. This angle allows oil to come up in the grooves at a decent flow. Too steep of an angle and your motor will consume oil. Too shallow of an angle and your rings will starve for oil and overheat, and wear out quickly.

Your rings first seat against these honing grooves and wear away the sharp peaks on each groove. When you "glaze" the cylinder, the oil in the grooves overheats and burns. this means the rings will never be able to wear away the peaks of the honing marks properly, and wear will likely be uneven leading to oil burning.

More modern engine honing with high quality rings uses what we call a "quick seat" hone which uses a rough grit hone and then a very fine hone to break down most of the peaks so the rings don't have to take much "damage" as they wear down the cylinder walls, and that usually means the rings seat almost instantly when you do a pull or 2 and decel.

Most of the advice in this thread is terrible. Take it from someone who has made mistakes before and doesn't want to repeat them. Not from someone who heard from someone who gets paid to fix peoples broken/improperly broken in motors

Avoid being in the throttle for too long as heat is what glazes the oil. There is a lot more oil in the honing grooves before they have been worn down and more surface area of oil to absorb heat. That leads to glazing.
Keep things cool. Lugging up a hill at 2000 rpms on fresh motor = tons of heat and load.....and glaze.

Quick seat honing is one the current solutions to glazing. Even a properly built motor can glaze when you try to do everything right. I really don't believe advice an engine builder gives on breaking in when they say "don't beat on it, because thats quite the opposite of what they will do on any motor they have on the engine dyno. They just want to rebuild your motor and blame you for the glaze

Idle till the motor warms up and beat on it RIGHT AWAY. Otherwise it might glaze
1994 Spirit - 13.85@108.8 - SOHC - 10psi - Holset He341 & chrome rings.
1981 & 1983 Starlet KP61

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXF2c...saCIg4HZ3MmpVw

Last edited by Ondontii; 09-06-2009 at 02:40 AM.
Ondontii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.