Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

What is the highest, verified MPH for a 3S?

10K views 83 replies 38 participants last post by  caleb_91vr4 
#1 ·
Verified either at an official event with proven logging devices or a GPS pull with video evidence.

Has anyone beaten Matt's 168 MPH regardless of distance?

#3 ·
haha I was going to say in the 1/4 mile? 168.5 :)

I have had plenty of 3/s cars over 200 mph over the yrs.

HMS had one up to like 214 back in early 90's at the salt flats with 15G's I think, the same car did 197mph I think on 13G's the yr before if I remember right.

#5 ·
went over 250 one time, plenty over 200mph
AT THE TRACK? 169.5 MPH ON THE AUTO.

NBF

#8 · (Edited)
you can watch vids of me doing 168 in the 1/4 mile from a standing start in 8.8 seconds on you tube:)

I have not done 200+mpg pulls on the street in quite a few yrs and I'm old and dont do that kind of speeds on the street any more, and frankly I dont care if anybody believes it or not. I'm not going to risk my life or jail to do it again for anybody on here just to make them happy. But I can tell you it does not take that much power to get these cars over 200mph, hell they do 160 with ~230whp stock. 400 awhp gets you very close to 200, 600 gets you to around 210.

And those numbers all jive very close with other cars with around that power stock run with around the same kind of aero. Another thing that helps our cars do a little better on MPH vs other cars that are RWD with the same DYNO wheel hp is 2 fold.

#1 a rwd car making say 400 rwhp is making 400rwhp on the DYNO were it only has to deal with roll resistance of 2 tires and spinning 2 tires. Were on the road it has to spin 4 tires and deal with doll resistance of 4 tires. A AWD car makes 400 awhp on the dyno it's doing that exactly the same way it will be on the street road, spinning all 4 and roll resistance of all 4.

#2 Most RWD cars with big power run wider tires on the rear AND front for that matter then 3/s cars ever run on all 4, again less roll resistance.

From what I have seen a RWD car making 400rwhp on the dyno will nearly always save a slower top speed then a AWD car that has made 400 AWHP if the cars have similar aero. (remember we are talking about WHEEL HP HERE, not crank)

As for the HMS cars that ran around 200 at the salt flats in the 90's I'm sure you can find the articles about them on the internet. The one that went over 200 did it with the help of the normal salt flats aids, skinny tires, disk wheels ect...

The 250 nelson talks about I have no idea I have never gone that fast nore do I care to. with the power his car made I would say it's possible, now if he really did it.... who knows. I can tell you this if he did he has big balls to pull a car to that kind of speed with a T case that holds 1/3 of a Q of oil imagin how hot that got? Every time I ever did 200 mph pulls when I got home I would have drops of T-case fluis show up on the floor of my garage from BOILING out of the breather cap. And there is a huge difference between 210-215 and 250!

#9 ·
Matt, a whole bunch of years ago didnt you post a video of you with your gps at 199.X? mph, and i think it was a dr500 car at best

#11 ·
I'm almost positive that was somebody els, that sounds way too legally self incriminating for me to post on a public forum. A vid of a GPS in a car going down a road that could have recognizable land marks could be used on me in court. lol

I think that Andrew guy in vagas that had a red stealth with DR500's if I remember right posted a vid doing something like that a LONG time ago

#10 · (Edited)
i did it years ago trying to get the car for the straight mile run in texas. we were trying that at one road here at the beach that has over 4 straight miles with 4 lanes , i did 4 times the most i got was 253mph with wastegate houses out and about 200 wet shot on 4th gear and i left off before the mile mark we did due to the bad shake the car had on that run i stopped the car and the transfer case got locked due to the heat i guess and towed the car back to the shop. after that i lost the interested to go for the mile run. Maybe one day...
add: sorry i don't post logs or videos for proof of stuff like that .

NBF

#12 ·
you don't need any proof to know that any mod vr4 with 500/600awhp will go over 200mph with no problem.

NBF

#18 ·
I've been 639mph... but that was in a Hawker 4000. P&W300's are no joke.

I've done 312.JF MPH in a 3/S, but hey would you look at that my dog at the internet.

#19 ·
Nelson I guess already answered my question. I wanted to ask if anyone has tried the texas mile?

Matt why don't you go for it! And you can post video of it, because it's legal! haha

#21 ·
in a 5spd, you need to be at 9500 rpms to hit 250

in a 6spd, you need close to 8300 rpms to hit 250

these are just roundabout figures with the charts from stealth316 extended
Stealth 316 - Gear Ratios

#24 ·
And by proven I will reiterate the first line of my first post:
Verified either at an official event with proven logging devices or a GPS pull with video evidence.

I don't class a number on a SAFC as verified as it doesn't use GPS and could have been done on a dyno for all I know.

#27 ·
This thread is entertaining... I mean it's not like if anyone throws a figure somebody is gonna take it upon themselves to prove it, like if somebody says 180mph.. does anyone have the testicular fortitude to try it? I had to lol

The personal fastest in a vr4 was 130ish mph for me and that got scary fast, fastest I have ever gone in a car was 155 hitting the limiter in a porsche 911 turbo down the autobahn in 1999... never done it again since or plan to ever do it... unless I get that lambo I have been wishing my whole life then I will do it

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#29 ·
I took my VR4 152 on the speedo, on open road and my GPS registered 141, I was alone so if I get the chance I will have someone record it after my tune. Pretty scary going that fast to be honest

#31 ·
True, story sorry about that. Guess I just gotta wait until I can try a texas mile lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.