Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Video Tutorial: How to Seafoam a Stealth/3000GT - 720p HD Video

41K views 76 replies 32 participants last post by  Remix_Velozity 
#1 · (Edited)
YouTube - How to Seafoam a Dodge Stealth or Mitsubishi 3000GT Tutorial - HD Video 720p
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone,

Here's a video tutorial I put together on how to Seafoam a 3S car. The most common reason for Seafoaming a 3S is to remove carbon deposits from the fuel system and crankcase. I've mostly followed the instructions from the LT1 web site, so you can download and print them for a reference as you remove your panels.

How To Seafoam Your Car & Clean Carbon Buildup | Tech Aids & Articles

The video runs around 6 1/2 minutes, and the actual process takes about 1 1/2 hours.

I used iMovie '09 on a Mac and added image stabilization to help cut down movement as much as possible. iMovie also added the transitions automatically, so they were pretty much preset into the movie by the software. Overall, it works fine - remember, the goal here is to show you how to Seafoam your 3S, and not so much to produce a highly entertaining video masterpiece.

The video is in 720p format and runs at 30fps.

Thanks for checking out the video, and I sincerely hope it helps you in your car service goals. 3Si has shared a lot of great information with me, and I hope this does the same for others.

- Blaine

See less See more
#2 ·
great video !! Well done

#3 ·
Very well done! Getting +rep for this.

(might want to update the first post. it mentions removing quarter panels?)

#5 ·
Thanks for the rep! Thanks for the heads up about the quarter panel type-o as well, a bit of overzealous cutting and pasting on my part.

Don't hesitate to post about your experiences with Seafoam so we'll all know how it worked for your 3S.

Oh, and look for more videos soon. I'll be filming other projects as I work on my Stealth and posting them here for the benefit of others. Next up? Hmmm... depends on the weather this weekend, but it just might be how to repair a damaged (but still working) window regulator. My driver's side is working but slow and jerky to roll up - a classic sign that the plastic is cracked but the wire is still intact.

Thanks again for the positive reception for the videos!

- Blaine

#8 ·
u forgot one thing.....U NEED TO CHANGE THE OIL!!! sea foam thins out the oil and has less lubrication properties. ppl will have spun bearings if they go with out changing their oil...good job on the vid, but u missed a BIG part of sea foamin it up!

#9 ·
Check the comments next to the YouTube video. The mileage recommendations for the oil change are listed there, as well as in the article referenced on the LT1 site.

Thanks for the input though, and for watching the video.

- Blaine

#10 ·
Thats a good video. May I just suggest that you first fill up the seafoam into the gas tank, than proceed to fill up the tank with fuel, that way it mixes with the fuel well!

And also some say its easier to just let the car suck the seafoam out of the cup as opposed to pouring it in! But overall thats a great video!

How many miles on the car and how is it driving now??

#11 · (Edited)
Very nice! I'm just a little worried smoking around all around town lol. That kind of screams "Hey! Pull me over! Something is wrong!" I'll just bring the can along with me just in case.

#13 ·
Hi stans300gt:

Thanks for the comments. I probably would have added the Seafoam at the gas station, but I forgot to bring the funnel from the house. Hey, nobody's perfect!

As far as putting the hose directly into the cup, it will most likely prematurely stall the motor, which is bad. The idea is to allow the Seafoam to slowly get into the vacuum line, and the last 1/3 of the cup of Seafoam gets suspended in the cylinders. If you put the vacuum line directly into the cup, it will choke the vacuum and stall the motor before the rest of the Seafoam can be gently added to the system and circulated through.

My Stealth has right at 153,000 miles, and I have seen some improvements in smoothness and quietness since I "Seafoamed" it. I've only put about 50 miles on it, so the Seafoam is still making its way through the fuel system from the gas tank. The final results will be achieved when the tank of gas is used up. I only put about 200-250 miles or so per month on the Stealth, and I use about one tank of gas a month, so it'll be a couple of weeks or so before I get all of the gas consumed. I do think it was a nice improvement, and I'll know a bit more about the gas mileage benefits when the tank's used up (was at 16mpg avg previously).

Thanks to everyone that has pos repped - I appreciate the kind words and support of my efforts to help the 3Si community.

- Blaine

#14 ·
Stupid question, but which "seafoam" exactly? AutoZone has 3:

(1) Sea Foam / 12 oz. (354.882 ml.) Deep Creep Multi-Purpose Penetrating Lubricant and Cleaner
(2) Sea Foam / 16 oz. Automatic Transmission and Power Steering Tune Up
(3) Sea Foam / 16 oz. Engine Fuel and Diesel Treatment

If I had to guess, I would say #3, but I've had people tell me auto trans fluid has detergents that can be good for ~50 miles to clean things out. I'd like to make sure though. :)

#15 ·
#3 it is.

Let us know how it turns out for you.

- Blaine

#17 ·
Oddly enough, it went great. A lot of white smoke on startup, and I let it idle around 15 minutes. Revving would pour white smoke out. After about 10 or 15 revs, I did a 25 mile highway cruise with it. After I turned it off and went to sleep, the next morning, beautiful smokeless start. Ran flawlessly all day with zero lifter tick (approx 100 miles).

Then I parked it, and changed the oil 2 days later. Bam. Lifter tick is back, but less often. White smoke on startup is back, but not on acceleration. I think I might just need to run a second or third batch of it.

However, it made a noticeable improvement on idling and acceleration. Much smoother, and feels more crisp and responsive. I dyno'd last month, and I'll be dynoing against next month. Same mods, same settings, etc. I think it'll make a good improvement. I only made 275/275 on a dynojet with intake, catless exhaust, vta bov, and ebc @ 16psi. Spoolup was a bit slow too, and the curve was a bit wavy even with a smoothing factor of 5. :eek:

Big thanks for the video .. I'd been wanting to do this for a while!

#18 ·
OK, another update. Lifter tick has stopped again, as well as the little bit of white smoke on startup. Might have been related to going from 20w50 to 10w30? Anyway, after a couple hundred miles on fresh oil after the seafoaming, it's doing great. :)

#21 ·
thank you for the video! that helped a lot!

#22 ·
awesome...nice vid...wish to add more stuff...

#24 ·
Blaine - thanks for posting the inspirational/instruction video and appurtenant links.

I tried SEA FOAM this morning on the way in to work. I ended up using the turkey baster - couldn't find a tiny funnel. Also - I used the brake hose vacuum line near the TB on Stealth RT/TT, it looked like you were using the clutch vacuum line into plenum, but maybe its different for your car. Also my clutch line has some one way valve in it.

I got some entertainment smoking out the neighborhood.

I noticed some gunk in the plenum when I changed the plugs. I cleaned the plenum inside as much as possible using a degreaser and carburetor cleaner - so I did not do the deep creep option. I know this should help clean the rest of the system out - and is probably a must for 90% of the high mileage 3S cars out there. Will change the oil this evening (I added the SEA FOAM to the oil last week) to complete the process.

#25 ·
Hey, I have a 1993 SOHC dodge stealth, when driving on the top end i ended up with a big oil leak it seems as though it is right behind the harmonic balancer. It has 160,000 miles on it, i am wondering if any one knows what this could be and if it even worth trying to save the engine. Any one have a clue?

#28 ·
Yes, it should be fine. I've done two treatments in succession to date; flushed the oil cooler separately afterward.

#29 ·
Great vid but one more thing I would recommend is to not rev the engine with the sea foam in the crankcase unless u like spun bearings.

#34 ·
well I just got done seafoaming my 93 VR4, put it in just like the video, used 2 cans of it, NO SMOKE NO EFFECT, ZERO ZILCH NADA! I then revved it a little, nothing, then emptied the oil, replace filter, put in new oil (royal purple) still having seafoam in the gas tank I went for a drive, crossed the bridge, went all the way to Hicksville, then back to the bronx, no smoke, nada no effect if anything my mileage is actualy worst than the horrendous 14mpg I was getting, I think I averaged like 11or 12mpg now, and I did follow the video to the letter, oh did I mention these plugs and MSD wires are 3 weeks old?

in my test of this product, seafoam failed to work as desired, each can cost me 11.99 so that was $24 plus tax wasted and I did not get smoke show

#35 ·
How many miles does your 93 VR4 have on it? Has it ever been seafoamed before, without you knowing it? :p

I've never seen a car NOT give a smoke show with seafoam, as long as they haven't recently been cleaned, or aren't low mileage.

I'm weary to try this, as I have 132k on the original motor.. Have a feeling cleaning those deposits might make holes I didn't want. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.