Timing mark ?? (pic) - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2009, 04:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: Dodge Stealth TT
JackBadBoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Default Timing mark ?? (pic)

Hi too all,
Well today is my day, why because after 3.5 years waiting for parts and money and time, my engine is going out of my car. I will put new short block, with rebuild heads, 15g, rps clutch and rps flywheel and some other stuf. I know it is not big deal for most of you, but for me that will be enough for some time, hehe.

Well, first question is, what we notice on my old engine is this timing mark, where crank pully is. Every mark on cam gears ar fine, just down here there is one tooth off. Also in my manuals this is picturise the same, but in mechanikal autodata, he has different. So when we will be putting back my new engine, how should it be done. this whay or another.

And the car is dodge stealth tt 1992
Here is pic (lil big but you can more precisly see)

Triumph Spitfire mk4 1500, 1978
Audi A4 1.8T, 1999
Chrysler Voyager 3.8 AWD, 2000

JackBadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2009, 08:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Flasher

Drives: VR4 | SL | R/T
TwIzTeD_3kGt Level 2TwIzTeD_3kGt Level 2TwIzTeD_3kGt Level 2TwIzTeD_3kGt Level 2TwIzTeD_3kGt Level 2
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Default Re: Timing mark ?? (pic)

Edit: What Drweldin said below. Misread picture at first.

Congrats on getting the car back. I'll be going down the same road as you very soon...aside from the whole 3.5 years thing, more like 3.5 months is what i'm shooting for

1997 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 - IPS 19T-L 93-Octane 20psi ~430awhp * PTE 550cc * Denso Supra Pump w/ STM Hot-wire Kit * SXP FPR@34psi * Coppers@.024 * Jester Dedd's PnP Flash ECU w/ Chrome V2 * Wiseco 8:1 +.035" * 3SX Rods * Custom Clutch * PMP FMIC w/ K&N FIPK * Montero MAF * Hallman Pro MBC * Greddy Type-S * Stillen DP w/ M2 CB * STM D2 Custom Coilovers * Maximal T-Case Brace & Solid F&R MM * AEM UEGO * Self-Tuned * 3-season DD * ~3,640lbs. Curb Weight
1993 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 - Not sure yet.
1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL - Maximal Single-Shot Exhaust - Wife's 3-Season DD
1994 Dodge Stealth R/T - Restoration Project

Last edited by TwIzTeD_3kGt; 09-03-2009 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Didnt look at the picture correctly
TwIzTeD_3kGt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2009, 09:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drweldin is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 165 reviews

Assuming your cams are all lined up, you are off (2) teeth on the crank...Edit: more like (1) tooth.
I'd fix that, lol.
Here you go....these (2) should line up:

Last edited by Drweldin; 09-08-2009 at 05:25 PM.
Drweldin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2009, 12:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Well here is better pic.

But in manual for dodge stealth 92 is that

and

So what is really right? At this point I am very comfused. Help me??
Old 09-04-2009, 12:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1991 3000gt VR4
silverpearll is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 34 reviews

I can tell from the pictures that your block is a 4 bolt main because of the style of oil pump you have. I can also tell that the timing belt pulley on the crank is for a 91 -92 2 bolt main block. In this case the crank sprocket will be off one tooth when the cam gears are lined up and cylinder #1 is at TDC. This is because they moved the timing mark on the 4 bolt blocks since it wouldn't fit in the original spot. This also means that the plastic timing cover is different between the two engines and you should make sure you have the right one. from what I can tell your timing may be on but you need to verify it. Here are a couple of links you should read to make sure you do this right. Also it looks like you are using the 2 bolt heads with the cam angle sensor on the passenger side of the engine by the throttle body. There is no problem with this and it will work fine. Your crank sprocket will definitely be off a tooth when this is timed properly. I just noticed that this is your old engine. My explanation should cover why the crank timing mark is off and it ran fine. Feel free to ask more questions if none of this makes sense. Good luck.

4-Bolt Main Swap details!...JOHN MONNIN'S PERSONAL 3000GT/STEALTH FAQ

Stealth 316 - 2-bolt to 4-bolt short block conversion

Last edited by silverpearll; 09-04-2009 at 12:54 PM.
silverpearll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2009, 01:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Curmudgeon

Drives: '92 ES, '92 TT
Steve '93ES Level 2Steve '93ES Level 2Steve '93ES Level 2Steve '93ES Level 2Steve '93ES Level 2
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Believe it or not those two pictures from the manual are trying to show you the same thing.
You want to align the small notch on the back flange of the crank gear that Drweldin highlighted in his picture with the mark on the oil pump. These is no meaningful mark on the front face of the '91-'92 crank gear, and you do NOT align it to the roll pin.
I have the same drawings in my manual. It is hard to see what they are pointing at but if you look with a magnifying glass you can see that they are pointing to the notch.
That first drawing does not show the gear lined up, it is the illustration that goes with the instruction "Shift the timing mark of the crankshaft sprocket one teeth (sic) in counterclockwise direction to facilitate belt installation". In other words that drawing is off by one tooth.
One possible reason that your timing is off on the old motor is that you have to rotate the engine a couple of turns clockwise to set the tensioner. Try rotating it around, always going clockwise, and see if it aligns better.
Another thing to consider is that things changed in '93. If your new motor is a '93 or newer it will be a bit different than the old one. Also, if your Alldata manual is for a latter year it will show the new set-up.
Steve '93ES is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2009, 01:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1991 3000gt VR4
silverpearll is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 34 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve '93ES View Post
Believe it or not those two pictures from the manual are trying to show you the same thing.
You want to align the small notch on the back flange of the crank gear that Drweldin highlighted in his picture with the mark on the oil pump. These is no meaningful mark on the front face of the '91-'92 crank gear, and you do NOT align it to the roll pin.
I have the same drawings in my manual. It is hard to see what they are pointing at but if you look with a magnifying glass you can see that they are pointing to the notch.
That first drawing does not show the gear lined up, it is the illustration that goes with the instruction "Shift the timing mark of the crankshaft sprocket one teeth (sic) in counterclockwise direction to facilitate belt installation". In other words that drawing is off by one tooth.
One possible reason that your timing is off on the old motor is that you have to rotate the engine a couple of turns clockwise to set the tensioner. Try rotating it around, always going clockwise, and see if it aligns better.
Another thing to consider is that things changed in '93. If your new motor is a '93 or newer it will be a bit different than the old one. Also, if your Alldata manual is for a latter year it will show the new set-up.
He has a 93 plus block with the 91-92 crank timing sprocket. Read my post and it should be clear.
silverpearll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2009, 01:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Curmudgeon

Drives: '92 ES, '92 TT
Steve '93ES Level 2Steve '93ES Level 2Steve '93ES Level 2Steve '93ES Level 2Steve '93ES Level 2
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Yeah, I was still typing when you posted that. Your explanation makes sense and I think you solved the mystery of why the old motor appears off. Are my comments about the drawings correct though?
Steve '93ES is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2009, 01:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Thanks guy for quick response. But now I am woried what my new block is. And how does it affect TC or transmition?
Here is a pic of full engine

Last edited by JackBadBoy; 09-04-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

Here is my TC

Latter I will send also my new block - which I think it is 2 bolt - because I orderd model(february 92), as my vin say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.