T70 Single Turbo 3000GT Vr-4 - Page 4 - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 07:23 AM   #31 (permalink)
doing the impossible

Drives: MPT70 3000GT VR4
lDoomZdaYl is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Default Re: T70 Single Turbo 3000GT Vr-4

Quote:
IIRC there's supposed to be a difference in the steering between NA and VR4, you notice anything? I mean ratios, not AWS
Well so far my car needs an alignment badly lol and Im waiting on my 18x10 rims and 275 tires to come in. With the rims and tires I had on there the car felt really good I honestly feel invincible taking turns lol I personally think you will know the difference due to the lack of lines the car is running fluid through after you do AWS delete. Its a Pita but in my mind worth every penny just like ABS Delete

Old 12-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #32 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 97 vr4 / 73 mustang
arm0red1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by lDoomZdaYl View Post
I took it off the turbo so you can get a better view of the set-up. I actually cant wait to run GM Maft combo so I can run blow through no more stalling lol. Even though I ran blow through with MAF I way back in the day some people said it wasn't good so I took it off and slapped it on the turbo.

Hey no offense taken I don't mind some thoughtful imput at all. You just have to understand I didn't build this project in weeks or months it took me years. I put a lot of thought and time into it. When I run my car as is right now I make sure it stays rich and thats without methanol. I decided to run methanol to reduce knock and decrease intake charge temperature. This is a great combo when running high compression. Supra guys do it all the time on N/A motors. I have personally done it for 3300 miles and hard pulls in boost. I would say 300 or more pulls. At the same time I baby my car and she gets new parts all the time =) Like any race car anything can happen at any time. I want to prove something to the 3s community this is why I did my setup so differently than anyone else. I do love your single turbo setup Its very nice I personally think that turbo is huge but hey some people like bigger lol. What Rpm do you actually see full boost ? what AR exhaust is your Turbo ? How many Psi ? what Compression motor ? Any videos or how much Hp you think your Making ?
I guess heres some specs and intentions of mine

turbo is a holset hx52 with billet 67mm comp wheel and 71mm turbine (similar to a gt4202/4294 or borg s366/s400)

a/r is 16cm in holset nomenclature-or about 1.1-1.2 a/r

mine starts to spool @ 3800 and hits full by 4500 (im on e85 and sized my cross pipe to 1 7/8 inches per turbo volute)

in the future I place on dropping this down by the methods below:

Shivers quick spool valve

WPC treating the turbo internals WPC - Metal Surface Treatment / Micro Shot Peening

- here's a video demonstration of the friction effects of WPC treating parts for reduced friction loss and increased durability - costs roughly 150 for turbo internals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=TpdLt6D9XN4

having plasma welded ceramics fused to the hotside Zircotec high temperature coatings, ceramic coatings, engine, exhaust and manifold coatings.

and having the GPOP shop redesigning my compressor wheel for a lighter weight design G-Pop Shop- they roughly charge 600 for a singleton billet compressor design from scratch

here's a pic of my comp wheel to show how much meat can be removed- just take a look at the center post vs the nut

[IMG][/IMG]

and a front facing shot to show better reference [IMG][/IMG]

in the end I'm hoping for a narly turbo that supports 1100hp and hits full boost by 35-3700

for current results

Virtual dyno stated 398 @ 14psi on my base tune (all we did was scale the 1250cc injectors, still on damaged tranny with stock clutch, have a spec 4+ and ray's bellhousing brace on the shelf and saving money for a rebuild from jacks)

heres a video of a 2nd gear pull rolling @ 35mph just after the base tune was loaded and the car had the major bugs worked out

HX52 Single Turbo Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 - A quick pull on first base tune - YouTube

So I hear ya on the college budget thing, this took me roughly 3 years, 2 years of collecting parts (as im broke and work my but off in school) teaching myself welding from scratch and roughly a year to go from tear down to built and running- and I still have issues to address (thermal control with electronics, and damaged tranny)

as for the exhaust thing- your exhaust it always going to be restricted by the smallest point in the pipe- in our case a possible 3.5" setup could possibly happen with a slip fitting, but that is the biggest we could see with a turbo facing forwards without some serious fab- ie chromoly subframe.

Single Hx52 billet 67mm 1300 cfm goodness, Delphi 1250's, twin walbro 400's, dual pump/dual feed braided lines from tank to rails,Tial 50mm BOV, Tial 60mm wg, Spec 4+ with hub welded and balanced, Rays Bellhousing brace, flash ECU with openport 2.0 tune, MSD coils, MSD race ignition wires, Odyssey PC680, CX racing fmic 1000hp core 28x12x4, ABS delete, EGR delete, AC delete, cruise delete, pansy patrol pulley reduction, Vac reduction

Last edited by arm0red1; 12-05-2012 at 04:33 PM.
arm0red1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #33 (permalink)
Forum Member

AdamVR4 Level 2AdamVR4 Level 2AdamVR4 Level 2AdamVR4 Level 2AdamVR4 Level 2AdamVR4 Level 2
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm0red1 View Post
in the end I'm hoping for a narly turbo that supports 1100hp and hits full boost by 35-3700
30+ psi out of an 1100 hp turbo on a 3.0L by 3700 rpm in 3rd gear? Wow, Shiver's spool device is a game changer. Congrats DoomZdaY!
Old 12-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #34 (permalink)
doing the impossible

Quote:
I guess heres some specs and intentions of mine

turbo is a holset hx52 with billet 67mm comp wheel and 71mm turbine (similar to a gt4202/4294 or borg s366/s400)

a/r is 16cm in holset nomenclature-or about 1.1-1.2 a/r

mine starts to spool @ 3800 and hits full by 4500 (im on e85 and sized my cross pipe to 1 7/8 inches per turbo volute)

in the future I place on dropping this down by the methods below:

Shivers quick spool valve

Report this image

WPC treating the turbo internals WPC - Metal Surface Treatment / Micro Shot Peening

- here's a video demonstration of the friction effects of WPC treating parts- costs roughly 150 for turbo internals

having plasma welded ceramics fused to the hotside Zircotec high temperature coatings, ceramic coatings, engine, exhaust and manifold coatings.

and having the GPOP shop redesigning my compressor wheel for a lighter weight design G-Pop Shop- they roughly charge 600 for a singleton billet compressor design from scratch

here's a pic of my comp wheel to show how much meat can be removed- just take a look at the center post vs the nut

[IMG]
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image.
Report this image
[/IMG]

and a front facing shot to show better reference [IMG]
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image.
Report this image
[/IMG]

for current results

Virtual dyno stated 398 @ 14psi on my base tune (all we did was scale the 1250cc injectors, still on damaged tranny with stock clutch, have a spec 4+ and ray's bellhousing brace on the shelf and saving money for a rebuild from jacks)

heres a video of a 2nd gear pull rolling @ 35mph just after the base tune was loaded and the car had the major bugs worked out

HX52 Single Turbo Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 - A quick pull on first base tune - YouTube

So I hear ya on the college budget thing, this took me roughly 3 years, 2 years of collecting parts (as im broke and work my but off in school) teaching myself welding from scratch and roughly a year to go from tear down to built and running- and I still have issues to address (thermal control with electronics, and damaged tranny)

as for the exhaust thing- your exhaust it always going to be restricted by the smallest point in the pipe- in our case a possible 3.5" setup could possibly happen with a slip fitting, but that is the biggest we could see with a turbo facing forwards without some serious fab- ie chromoly subframe.
You and I see spool time about the same time I think with an outstanding tune running a blow through set-up I can probably start seeing full boost at 4200 maybe even 4k. Your car is really beautiful btw.....

(im on e85 and sized my cross pipe to 1 7/8 inches per turbo volute) Can you explain that to me ?

That turbo is inlet is so freaking shiny...I like your plans do you know the usual turn around time of their work ?
lDoomZdaYl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #35 (permalink)
doing the impossible

Nice vid btw what are you hitting at WOT ?

If we can actually increase our spool to 3500k it would be amazing the power band would be almost perfect and make a sick amount of power.

What compression are you running ? can you give me some of your mods list ? I really need to get rid of my 450cc injectors and run 780's with MAFT and methanol

College budget HEHE I swear between having to do a ton of HW and studying I'm always working on my car SMH...

3.5 DP is definitely doable but the only problem with that is you would seriously have to have it treated to be able absorb heat and not let it out , not to mention so much exhaust wrap....lol My engine bay looks like a Mummy LMAO

Shivers quick spool valve how much does it cost and what exactly does it do ?

Last edited by lDoomZdaYl; 12-05-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #36 (permalink)
doing the impossible

Quote:
30+ psi out of an 1100 hp turbo on a 3.0L by 3700 rpm in 3rd gear? Wow, Shiver's spool device is a game changer. Congrats DoomZdaY!
Thank You Adam ! How is your car doing ? I miss watching your youtube vids hehe
Old 12-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #37 (permalink)
Forum Member

AdamVR4 Level 2AdamVR4 Level 2AdamVR4 Level 2AdamVR4 Level 2AdamVR4 Level 2AdamVR4 Level 2
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by lDoomZdaYl View Post
Thank You Adam ! How is your car doing ? I miss watching your youtube vids hehe
Humming along at 30 psi. Need to get back to the track to learn these damn slicks. Maybe I'll dyno in the next few days if I ever get a call back...

What headers are you using? What size tubing did you use to go from the headers to the turbo? How did you justify the tubing size choice? Any more engine bay pics? There's a ton going on in there
AdamVR4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #38 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: all four wheels
darkkiller is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

arm0red1 you got anymore photos of you set up? or possibly a build thread or something?
darkkiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #39 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 97 vr4 / 73 mustang
arm0red1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamVR4 View Post
It will be with the friction treatment, lightened and improved compressor upgrade from 67 to 70mm, better heat retention in the exhaust housing via race grade ceramics ( this t4 blanket works, but still doesnt fit over the exhaust housing that well) and some timing and EGT's to take advantage of it on the e85. Or at least I'm hoping so down the road.

The valve is a lucrative investment for the money in a turbo with a divided housing- 500-750 rpms alone out of a single upgrade- along with no topend loss from shivers flap design are ridiculous. It makes big turbos behave in ways that make me moist, for 600 bucks you can't go wrong

Also Doomzday stated, I miss watching your car vids haha, they're partially what got me into considering my setup in the firstplace, along with watching geremy's gt42 stealth and Roy's Borg S475 car, Matt's 8 sec car, Chris's 800+ awhp machine and Ray's Chameleon car. Lately Trevor's been the one I've been watching put down some powa. Mawr vids or bust sir.

Thanks for the compliments- my car is pretty, except for the massive door ding from some hit and run a dbag pulled off while I was parked at panera bread. I dig your setup doomzday, and your car is black- which I find as teh sexy. You should toss up some more engine bay shots and some of your own design theory! This is your thread, own it like a baws as its another single turbo success story! There arent that many of us around, but we're growing.

Any future plans before this coming summer? revisions? upgrades? ideas to try?- I may be able to help on budget upgrades from the tuning community in town for stuff, pm me with what you'd like and I can see what they have

How a QSV/VGT setup works
As for what the QSV does, its "new old" tech, based on variable exhaust geometry turbine housings. Essentially, it closes off part of the turbine housing, reducing the exhaust A/R and forcing the rest of the exhaust through a smaller port, but at higher pressure into the turbine impeller for the early point of the power band. At the point when the exhaust becomes too restrictive ( once you start to build positive boost in excess of 7-10 psi), the valve opens, and exposes the rest of the turbine housing, allowing for max flow now that your in a point in the powerband where topend flow is more important and the engine needs to breath more than it needs to spool. The result? A GT42- all 900+ crank ponies of glory spooling at the speed of a gt35. Or any turbo for that matter, it esentially widens the powerband and dramatically shifts power under the curve.

here's a page of some early valve engineering results while it was still going through the R and D stages- the design is just like shivers, but I can't say for certain if shiver is the author of the article or not.

Quick Spool Valve Dyno Tuned Comparison Test

heres a supra running a GT42 with the Sound performance QSV- pay special attention to the dyno plot at the end of the video and the under curve gains.

Sound Performance Quick Spool Valve testing and results!!! - YouTube

and I still think shivers qsv is superior to the sound performance system- a system with a butterfly in the middle of the exhaust stream, creating turbulence, and that the exhaust needs to be refabbed to compensate for the 3/4 of an inch of their butterfly/flange design. It also doesnt allow for a twinscroll manifold (mine is) where shivers does by making the volute divider in the exhaust the actual valve.

-for the second Q about my cross pipe- I sized the piping to match the size of the turbo volutes on the t4 twinscroll flange. They are the smallest part in the preturbo exhaust system. Thus I sized my cross piping to match to avoid turbulent conditions and beveled the interior edge of the flange to encourage smooth flow for the exhaust gas.

-Also, for single turbo setups, part of what makes us generally laggy vs the twin guys is that we have a lot more preturbo exhaust piping to route due to packaging reasons, thus there's a longer delay for exhaust gas to reach the turbo as well as a lot more pipe surface area to remove heat from the gases- slowing the exhaust charge down

By reducing some of the diameter of the cross pipe, you remove some of that surface area as well as compensate for pipe length with increased pressure to drive a larger turbo and keep it somewhat responsive. This can be readily observed with IPS's single kit design and its general lag by routing the piping underneath the motor. IPS's kit however does a much better job at managing engine bay thermals and allows for pretty much any downpipe sizing you want post turbo, whereas our setups are a little restricted in that dept by the nature of the design.

My mods

twin walbro 255's with a dual pump/dual feed setup

delphi 1250cc injectors

98 sl ecu with 99vr4 rom scaled for 1250 injectors courtesy of greg E

Maft with 3" gm maf

single 60mm external wastegate with divided runners to each bank's exhaust

Tial BOV

stock TT 4 bolt engine with general maintenance done and coming up to the 120 service benchmark (8.1 compression ratio)

MSD coil packs (for bling) and wires with Boostaspark

Avenger Intake manifold thermal coated

3" intercooler piping with a 4" thick IC thats 28" wide and 12" tall with 3" end tanks

Waiting to go in over the next 2 years assuming nothing life wise changes and college finishes smoothly:

spec 4+ welded and balanced- will upgrade to a stage 5 or twin if it pops much sooner than I'd like it to

bellhousing brace

Jacks transmissions rebuild with double synchros

3sx or Rays forged internals- still deciding where my money is going- 3sx's is cheaper and still heavy duty, but ray's is nice and noted to support 4 digits to the ground.

headlift fix from ray- possible headwork and port/polish by myself

Delta cam regrinds

Some hardening/durability treatments for transfercase gears and oil pump gears.

I don't have a build thread up and running- well at least on the 3s boards, I wanted to save it until after I had some REAL dyno results on real boost numbers from the rollers themselves. I wanted to make at least ONE "how to" DIY guide for building a single setup, are there are none. I wanted to show some tricks I found and used for my particular build to illustrate any difficulty, or to at least get people more familiar and less mystified with the subject like its some kind of custom voodoo with a welder, parts off a semi, and a savant in a garage. I know it would have made MY build a heck of a lot easier when I was doing my research if something like that was out there to crop up some ideas.

However I don't want to hijack the OP's success thread, I'll make my own soon to show what I did, in the meantime, lets talk t70 single

Last edited by arm0red1; 12-05-2012 at 11:17 PM.
arm0red1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #40 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: all four wheels
darkkiller is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm0red1 View Post
My mods

twin walbro 255's with a dual pump/dual feed setup

delphi 1250cc injectors

98 sl ecu with 99vr4 rom scaled for 1250 injectors courtesy of greg E

Maft with 3" gm maf

single 60mm external wastegate with divided runners to each bank's exhaust

stock TT 4 bolt engine with general maintenance done and coming up to the 120 service benchmark (8.1 compression ratio)

And thankyou for the compliments, I was thinking the same thing about yours in your profile- I has a thing for black, and yours is teh sexy.
But you got anymore pictures of the engine bay complete? I ask because I am an avid fan of holsets, been running holsets on my 1G DSM for years now, best turbos money can buy.

The black car is nothing special really, twin 16Gs on adapter plates, 198K 4bolt, E85, 1000CC injectors, walbro 400, still dialing it in, currently at 20psi. Doesnt really add anything to this thread, I can post a pic of my engine bay if you really dying to see it lol.
darkkiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.