Spyder Owners GET IN HERE! (Potential source for Roof Seals/WeatherStriping) - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2017, 02:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 335i & 95 Spyder VR4
D.I.P. is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Default Spyder Owners GET IN HERE! (Potential source for Roof Seals/WeatherStriping)

I reached out to Metro Moulded Parts ~ Top Quality Automotive Weatherstripping and Rubber Parts to inquire about having some OEM reproduction pieces for our cars. Specifically the Roof Seals/Weatherstripping. This is the response that i got:

Quote:
Luis,

Good afternoon and thank you for your inquiry. Our minimum initial order for
a job such as this is 250 units. To give you a proper quote, I would need to
look at original samples or a print with accurate dimensions and weights.
You can send either to my attention. The complexity of the parts dictate the
costs of development and production.

Thank you for your interest in Metro Moulded Parts. I look forward to
hearing from you.

Best regards,

Mike Hinshaw
New Products Manager
Metro Moulded Parts, Inc.
11610 Jay Street, P.O. Box 48130
Minneapolis, MN 55448
Direct Phone: (866) 910-7836
FAX: (763) 757-7228
E-mail: mikeh@metrommp.com

I know some people have explored this in the past and have not been able to get very far or to even have a company express any kind of willingness to entertain the idea. Well, Metro seems to be willing. So my question is this, what is the interest level on this? Am i the only nutjob out here in Spyder land wanting to replace this stuff? Looks like they are talking about minimum 250 pieces to get something done and i am hoping more for some kind of complete Roof seal KIT as opposed to just 1 off pieces.

Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: png 6230850.png (8.2 KB, 31 views)

Old 04-19-2017, 02:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 335i & 95 Spyder VR4
D.I.P. is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Default Re: Spyder Owners GET IN HERE! (Potential source for Roof Seals/WeatherStriping)

Also i realize that getting enough individual Spyder owners on the forum & being able to personally lead such an effort is highly unlikely. So I wonder if this is something one of the 3/S shops should pursue. This seems like it would be right up 3SX's ally... Yes it would be a niche product but it is something that is desperately needed for sure.
D.I.P. is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2017, 02:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1993 Stealth R/T TT
gawdzinner is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Default Re: Spyder Owners GET IN HERE! (Potential source for Roof Seals/WeatherStriping)

3swarehouse also does a bit of spyder business. you could check with hans.

Mods from stock:
VMS Racing 10.2mm spark plug wires, NGK BKR6EIX-11 spark plugs gapped down to 0.32", Touren TR9 3190 wheels, Maximal high flow main catalytic converter, gutted/deleted precatalytic converters, front & rear slotted & drilled brake rotors from eBay, T-bolt stainless clamps, Curt trailer hitch, 2nd gen rear bumper aluminum reinforcement, LED backup & license plate bulbs, Pioneer AVH-X2500BT with backup camera, DSM SMICs converted by oohnoo, 3S warehouse sidemount oil cooler, EVO 8/9 blow off valve, EGR blockoff plates, Vented hood blister mod, Rebuilt stock throttle body, Stainless bolt kit, LCDBC as an ECU monitor, 3SX Stainless-Steel Braided Brake Lines, 3SX Door Sills, Koyo radiator with brackets, High speed cooling fan mod, Retractable license plate holder, 3SX rear control arms, Snake eye mod, SCE brake caliper stiffening bolts, Pilot WI-HL6A 4656 Head Lamp Conversion Kit, K&N oil filter, Free boost mod, Stant XACTSTAT #48217 thermostat
gawdzinner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 02:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 92 R/T TT, 95 Spyder
3krazygt Level 13krazygt Level 1
Feedback Score: 59 reviews

hmmm 250 spyders... I think we could probably find 15
Old 04-19-2017, 05:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

duke3k Level 1duke3k Level 1duke3k Level 1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

You should post this on the yahoo spyder group forum.

www.renegadetechworks.com Open Source 3000gt ECS Retrofit & Replacement Controllers
duke3k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2017, 08:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
^^My name is April^^

Drives: Spyder VR4/SRT8/CTSV
dbest671 Level 2dbest671 Level 2dbest671 Level 2dbest671 Level 2dbest671 Level 2dbest671 Level 2
Feedback Score: 92 reviews

Yeah that 250 part is going to be extremely hard to get too. Back in 2010, I was told there were only 700 Spyders "insured" according to insurance reports.

I'd be down. The original supplier of the seals is a company in Canada. They sort of laughed at me when I called them. But maybe in some dank dark basement, they might still have the moulds.
dbest671 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2017, 08:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
^^My name is April^^

Drives: Spyder VR4/SRT8/CTSV
dbest671 Level 2dbest671 Level 2dbest671 Level 2dbest671 Level 2dbest671 Level 2dbest671 Level 2
Feedback Score: 92 reviews

The original company was Waterville TG N.A
contact number 248-280-7322
dbest671 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2017, 10:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
I'm a dork.

Drives: FWD TT, AWD Spyders
Jigzibit is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 17 reviews

i'd be down for 4 complete kits... that should last our two spyders for their lifetime... i don't even drive either of them in the rain...

1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL (Twin Turbo)
1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 Spyder
1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 Spyder
Jigzibit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2017, 10:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pro xfercase destroyer

Drives: One quick Spyder VR4
mjannusch Level 3mjannusch Level 3mjannusch Level 3mjannusch Level 3mjannusch Level 3mjannusch Level 3mjannusch Level 3mjannusch Level 3mjannusch Level 3
Feedback Score: 28 reviews

I'm interested... I'd second checking with Hans, since they have been doing a lot of Spyder work and are very familiar with the ins and outs of the top system.

Fortunately my seals are in good condition, but these cars aren't getting any younger.
mjannusch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 11:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 95 Spyder VR4
SPYDERTT is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

[QUOTE=dbest671;9515297]Yeah that 250 part is going to be extremely hard to get too. Back in 2010, I was told there were only 700 Spyders "insured" according to insurance reports.

I run a Dealer tag on mine, so it won't show up on the insurance report. My left 1/4 outer belt molding is damaged from window out of adjustment.
SPYDERTT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:
Real Name(First & Last)
(Required/Hidden)
Mailing Address(Street)
(Required/Hidden)
City
(Required/Hidden)
State
(Required/Hidden)
Zip
(Required/Hidden)
Country
(Required/Hidden)
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in

Random Question