Prospective 3000gt owner! - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2017, 06:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
New User - Please be kind

Drives: 99 3000gt SL
LetItFly5772 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Prospective 3000gt owner!

Hey guys!

Thank you for adding me to the community! I've been reading through old threads for a few months now as I have been searching for something to have some fun with. I've narrowed it down to either a late model 3000gt (sl or vr4 but probably sl) and an eighth generation civic si. I love the looks and sound of the 3000's and have found a real clean (looking) one online. It is a 1998 sl with just over 100k. Stainless headers and exhaust, aftermarket rims/tires and an updated radio. Otherwise the car appears stock. There are a few things that have kept me from running down and buying it and I was hoping to get some opinions on my situation.
First off, he's asking 8300 and it seems fairly high to me even though it looks real nice in every aspect. KBB is mid 4k from what I can find.
Next is the "reliability." I'd like to consider myself fairly capable around a car. I am still learning when it comes to engine/transmission components/issues but I am excited to learn about it all. Anyways my friends who have some good experience with cars but not 3000's claim they are prone to just breaking down. All of the reading I have done doesn't totally disprove this but states that if the car is taken care of it will be fine. I'm looking to use this car as a second daily driver when the weather is nice (I live near dayton, ohio so that's maybe a few days out of the week lol).
I absolutely love the looks of these cars and from what I can tell they were designed and built to be driven and enjoyed while doing so and that's what I'm looking for. I've also considered the later model civic si because they are reliable and fun but also everywhere in my area. I'm not looking for a racer or anything to take to the track, just something to have some fun with as a driver. Any input is greatly appreciated and I apologize if I posted this is a wrong place or is super long. First post for this guy. Thank you all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3000gt sl 1.jpg (29.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 3000gt sl 2.jpg (23.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 3000gt sl 5.jpg (29.7 KB, 45 views)
LetItFly5772 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2017, 06:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Amsterdamn

Drives: 85 Monte Carlo SS
Turbo Beast Level 1Turbo Beast Level 1Turbo Beast Level 1
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Default Re: Prospective 3000gt owner!

8300 bucks for an SL is way too much.

Look in the cars for sale section over here at some old ads!

Good luck!

Turbo Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 06:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Amsterdamn

Drives: 85 Monte Carlo SS
Turbo Beast Level 1Turbo Beast Level 1Turbo Beast Level 1
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Here:

http://www.3si.org/forum/f10/91-dodg...lth-tt-786265/

Currently for sale at 8500 bucks.
Turbo Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 06:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Spd Kills your bank acc.

Drives: '97VR4|'14 DurangoRT
SpdDemon Level 1SpdDemon Level 1

These cars are as reliable as any other car if taken care of. The bad cars tend to have bad owner(s) over their lifetime. While the VR4 is faster and more fun, it does have a higher maintenance requirement than the SL. But both can suit your needs.

I believe KBB pricing is off for these cars because they are starting to be rarer and good, clean cars are even harder to find. But For $8,500 you can get a nice looking VR4 for around the same miles, but might have to travel to get it.

I'd say probably 4-6k is what this should get if all the maintenance records can be provided. Especially if they didn't do the 60k service yet, I'd start at $4k. Don't feel obligated to pay for the mods the previous owner has added, which is probably why they want as much as they do.
SpdDemon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 06:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member

Drives: Back and Forth :)
OhioSpyderman Level 3OhioSpyderman Level 3OhioSpyderman Level 3OhioSpyderman Level 3OhioSpyderman Level 3OhioSpyderman Level 3OhioSpyderman Level 3OhioSpyderman Level 3OhioSpyderman Level 3OhioSpyderman Level 3
Feedback Score: 58 reviews

Where are you located?
That car is priced INSANELY high...

Have you checked Autotrader.com?

Bob.
SBC-iD Boost Controller
Cianci FG Viper Hood/Aerocatch Pins
Quad Carbon Fiber Tipped Borla Catback
Stock 18" 6 Spoke Chromies
K&N FIPK

92 Wheat Beige Metallic Stealth TT..Winter DD!!
OhioSpyderman Short Shifter
SBC-iD Boost Controller

Oldest son - 94 Danube Blue VR4
Middle son - 93 Panama Green VR4

OhioSpyderman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 11:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

3kGT Wolf is an unknown quantity at this point

If you're looking into getting an SL, they're much easier to work on and much more affordable than the VR4, but still offer a ton of options for upgrading and making it your own unique 3000GT.
Although they're roughly 100hp less at 220, and a 94+ VR4 having 320, the SL is roughly 500 lbs lighter.
And I'd highly suggest stick, otherwise an auto SL will be very slow...
The nice part about our cars is that pretty much anything can be swapped from one to another both mechanically and cosmetically.

The "reliability" issues mostly come from people who neglect the required maintenance... too many of these cars are in pieces or are rusted out and broken down from neglectful owners.

Keep it tuned up, keep the oil changed, and do your 60k and 120k when needed. (I prefer to have it done earlier than the suggested mark, just for more insurance.)

If reliability is a major concern, they do make the SOHC with around 160hp that is supposedly more reliable and hard to kill, but IMO it's pretty ugly and there aren't a ton of parts for it, but several people have turbo charged or super charged their SOHC with decent power ratings.

As far as the price, I would not pay that for an SL...
You can get a really nice VR4 for $5,000-$6,000.

It's a beautiful platform, a thrill to drive and work on, whichever model it is.
Hopefully you end up in one, always great to have a new member.
3kGT Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2017, 07:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
VR-3.75 :**

Drives: 94 vr4, 04 Mazda 6
futurevr4man Level 1futurevr4man Level 1
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

Hey fellow Daytonian... there's a few of us on here!

$8300 for an SL is just extremely high... I would never, ever, pay that much. $4k at most, for a nice one... just my opinion. And the ferrari stickers...

These cars are reliable if they are taken care of... just like any other vehicle! There's not secret to them, they are just engines and cars like anything else!
Old 03-21-2017, 09:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

3kGT Wolf is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurevr4man View Post

And the ferrari stickers...
I thought they were Ferrari stickers at first, then noticed the Mitsubishi diamonds in the shield. Can't say I've ever seen that before.
3kGT Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2017, 09:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Always needing parts...

Drives: 92 3000GT VR4
JoshXT is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 20 reviews

I'd say without the stickers, car is probably worth $3500. With stickers, $2500. Really though, don't pay that much for an SL. The car is really worth 3500 max, and even at that, you can get a pretty decent VR4 for 4-6k. I'd definitely not waste your money on that.

JoshXT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2017, 09:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 95 R/T NA "Sneaky"
SneakyRT is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a word of advice, but nobody cares about KBB when they're selling a car. everyone thinks their car is worth way more than it should be. that being said, $8300 is way too high in my opinion. hell, I got my 95 R/T for $2700 and it was in pretty great condition.

and holy shit, I'm so tired of people saying 3S's are unreliable. if you don't take care of the care, it won't take care of you. with 203k on the body and motor, none of the problems I've had I can really blame on reliability. everything that's broken so far has just been due to my dumb ass doing something stupid, or someone else deciding to play bumper cars with me. even with the abhorrent luck I have with cars never once has my stealth made me feel like I'm wasting my money fixing, modding, or driving it. It's a blast to drive and I would highly recommend you at least go check one out.

another little bonus of the 3S is the community. It's a fairly small community, but it's mostly people who know what they're doing and are always willling to help out when you need it(on the forums that is. FB is a shitshow).

Cars:
- 95 galaxy white pearl R/T ATX "Sneaky" (Daily/project)
Mods: 210K on body/motor, 105k on trans, dump pipe exhaust, 2/3 stripped interior, Forced Four Shiftbox LITE, Translab shiftkit, Alto end clutch, TT plenum, K&N intake+filter, 1G TT brake swap
Planned mods: aux trans cooler, solid motor mounts, custom exhaust
- 03 Mercury Sable "The Slayble" (back up daily)
Mods: 45K, Transverse mounted Lamborghini V10, ceramic muffler bearings, dual pass headlight fluid super cooler, triple compound nylon drag slicks, carbon fiber windows
Planned mods: Whole car delete
SneakyRT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:
Real Name(First & Last)
(Required/Hidden)
Mailing Address(Street)
(Required/Hidden)
City
(Required/Hidden)
State
(Required/Hidden)
Zip
(Required/Hidden)
Country