Porting exhaust manifold tips and tricks? - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2008, 08:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 93 VR4 & 91 VR4
VR3.9 Level 1VR3.9 Level 1VR3.9 Level 1
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Default Porting exhaust manifold tips and tricks?

I am going to port/polish and ceramic coat my exhaust manifolds. Started on it a little tonight. I can see why it would be beneficial the edges look very thick and restrictive. I'm looking for advice from those that have done it. I'm using a die grinder, I have a dremel but that just seems to small.
What kind of bit do you recommend. I'm using a grinder bit but seems to be very, very slow. Pic's of your finished product would be good too.

Most powerful 13T car on the planet @501awhp, PTE 780CC injectors, AFPR, E85, Greddy Profec B, 3.5" Granatelli MAF, MAFT, Apexi ITC, SS Headers and O2 housings, 3SX downpipe, CRX racing FMIC, Dejon intake pipes, Ground Controls, Maximal adjustable rear control arms, Maximal TC Brace, Poly front and rear mounts, Vacuum Reduction, EGR block off plate, Hot Wired Walbro 255 and inline Walbro 255, Southbend stage 3 clutch, Slotted and vented rotors, SAFCII, Turbo XS BOV, 3SX FP hotwire, Seatle Short Shifter, Jackhammer timing gears: Best 1/4 mile 12.33 at 114.9 mph 1.79 60ft.
VR3.9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2008, 09:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 92 Dodge Stealth TT
BondoB is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Default Re: Porting exhaust manifold tips and tricks?

I've never done it on a 3s. But They way I've always done my V-8's is take and old gasket and put it up to the ports, typically the ports will be smaller than the gasket so take some black spray paint (or whatever color you have) and spray the ports using the gasket as kind of a "stencil" for lack of a better word. After that take your dremel and starting going at it. Just keep grinding metal until you get to the edge of your paint line. Then Hours, days, weeks, months, years later itching and covered little shards of metal take a bolt and cut a notch in it then fold some sand paper up and slide it in the notch. put your bolt in a die grinder or even a drill will work and start polishing. go from like 180 or 320 grit and work your way up. I could spend hours and hours and hours porting/polishing. I typically don't do manifolds, Lots of head work though
BondoB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2008, 06:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Duper Mod

Drives: deals
lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3
Feedback Score: 100 reviews

I just took material out until the inner 'ring' of material was tangent (or flush, however you want to look at it) with the hard metal 'ring' on the outlet (which matches the gasket hole).

It's also important to port match your turbo's turbine inlet - you don't want any ledges, you want it as wide and smooth as you can get it. Afaik.
Originally Posted by ray pampena View Post
Cant we all just smile and get along?
No!
lawdogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2008, 09:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 93 VR4 & 91 VR4
VR3.9 Level 1VR3.9 Level 1VR3.9 Level 1
Feedback Score: 25 reviews

Did you use carbide burrs, like in the picture. I was using more of a grinding disk seemed real slow. If these will make it faster I'm going to buy some.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carbide burrs.jpg (13.4 KB, 24 views)
VR3.9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2008, 09:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Duper Mod

Drives: deals
lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3
Feedback Score: 100 reviews

Yep I used a die grinder with a tip like that, I can't remember what shape it was. It was pretty beefy.
lawdogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2008, 09:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
the word ****** is ******

blackrussian is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 24 reviews

Instead of a bolt and sand paper, use a flapper wheel for polishing.
blackrussian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2008, 11:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnafsb View Post
Instead of a bolt and sand paper, use a flapper wheel for polishing.
That works too. But Its has just been my past experience that using the bolt trick leaves a more uniform and even polish because you aren't haven't to actually touch the edges with anything hard and it also gets all four sides at once instead of having to do it one wall at a time. Just hold the bolt in the center of the port and the sandpaper just kind of "slaps" the inside walls as the centrifugal force stretches the paper out.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 2 wheels
Black_Sunshine Level 2Black_Sunshine Level 2Black_Sunshine Level 2Black_Sunshine Level 2
Feedback Score: 117 reviews

i just recently ported my turbo exhaust sides and have done my manifolds. definitely get carbide tips. they will chew thru the metal like butter. took me 2 hours on my turbos and probably less than that for my manifolds.
Black_Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2008, 11:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

my question is, how much do you actually gain from this? Is it worth the headache of pulling your manis out?
Old 10-16-2008, 01:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 2 wheels
Black_Sunshine Level 2Black_Sunshine Level 2Black_Sunshine Level 2Black_Sunshine Level 2
Feedback Score: 117 reviews

u should get quicker spool up on the turbos. it's not necessary, but i'd do it if the stuff was coming out anyways.
Black_Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.