Passenger Door unlock... instant relock FIXED! - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2008, 12:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Just Bring It

Tqlla is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Default Passenger Door unlock... instant relock FIXED!

My car was having a terrible problem when I would try to unlock the car if I used the power locks or my Alarm Key. The car would unlock for .5 seconds, then relock halfway(it was actualy locked, but the door lock looked like it was only half locked).

I have an aftermarket alarm.... It wasnt the ETACS.

I took my door Latch assembly out of the car to grease it up and see if I could fix the problem. After cleaning and greasing the latch.... I stil couldnt move the lock to the fully unlock position. So I stared at the latch mechanism for about 10 minutes. I found the problem was a spring loaded Bar that was in the way of the unlocking mechanism.

It turns out this bar has a rubber stop, that got worn down badly... so the bar would rest further down than it should, blocking the unlock mechanism.

So it turns out my ETACS was good, and so was my lock actuator.

The fix is easy, once you get the latch out of the car(good luck with that!)

1) Look at the pictue below
2) Notice that Bar B is blocking bar A from moving back and forth.
3) Pull bar B back and wedge a small screw driver to keep it up
4) Bar C should have moved up with Bar B... since they are the same piece
5) Put a piece of rubber(with sticky back) on top of the stop that bar C rests on.
6) Make sure that Bar B and A are close but never touch.
7) good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DoorLockfix2.jpg (98.5 KB, 354 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2008, 03:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 92 Stealth TT
tarfin Level 1tarfin Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Re: Passenger Door unlock... instant relock FIXED!

Great job documenting this.

440 AWHP @ 21 PSI on VP110
380 AWHP @ 18.5 PSI on pump
tarfin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2008, 09:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Flasher

Drives: VR4 | SL | R/T
TwIzTeD_3kGt Level 2TwIzTeD_3kGt Level 2TwIzTeD_3kGt Level 2TwIzTeD_3kGt Level 2
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

Would probably make a lot more sense if I had the actuator in my hand, but definitely good information.

1997 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 - IPS 19T-L 93-Octane 20psi ~430awhp * PTE 550cc * Denso Supra Pump w/ STM Hot-wire Kit * SXP FPR@34psi * Coppers@.024 * Jester Dedd's PnP Flash ECU w/ Chrome V2 * Wiseco 8:1 +.035" * 3SX Rods * Spec 4+ * PMP FMIC w/ K&N FIPK * Montero MAF * Hallman Pro MBC * Greddy Type-S * Stillen DP w/ M2 CB * STM D2 Custom Coilovers * Maximal T-Case Brace & Solid F&R MM * AEM UEGO * Self-Tuned * 3-season DD * ~3,640lbs. Curb Weight
1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL - Maximal Single-Shot Exhaust - Wife's 3-Season DD
1994 Dodge Stealth R/T - Restoration Project
TwIzTeD_3kGt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2008, 09:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 91 RTTT 92TTFWD
LeRoyDL Level 1LeRoyDL Level 1
Feedback Score: 57 reviews

i had this issue as well, to fix it (also pass door) i would unlock it and manually hold the lock slider and it would pop back in place, i didn't add anything new or even take it apart. It comes and goes randomly, easy enough to fix i haven't invested much time to fix perm. Thanks for the info.
LeRoyDL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2011, 03:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
JNS Engineering

Drives: 3000GT Spyder VR4
JimVR4 Level 1JimVR4 Level 1JimVR4 Level 1
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Bringing this thread back because I seem to have the same issue with my passenger door. Unfortunately the passenger door does not open either from the inside or the outside. The interior door panel is off so I do have access to the mechanism but can't figure out how to spring the door open. It's as though the locking mechanism is jammed. Any ideas?

Mod list (scroll down the page)
JNS Engineering has your Spyders covered (and uncovered too!!)
JimVR4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2011, 04:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
'96 VR4

Drives: Surprisingly often
tachyon_ftl Level 1tachyon_ftl Level 1
Feedback Score: 36 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVR4 View Post
Bringing this thread back because I seem to have the same issue with my passenger door. Unfortunately the passenger door does not open either from the inside or the outside. The interior door panel is off so I do have access to the mechanism but can't figure out how to spring the door open. It's as though the locking mechanism is jammed. Any ideas?
Damm. My car started doing the passenger door lock/unlock just last Monday. I turn the key to unlock it, it unlocks then pops right back to locked even with the key turned. I can pull the door handle and open the door in the middle of it cycling, and the driver's side is fine.

I can lock it ok by pressing the button on the passenger door before I close the door. It's just the unlock. I was going to do a search but haven't yet.

Subscribed for more info. Jim, definitely looking forward to hearing more on this from you, your writeups are awesome!

Edit... hey... wait a minute... you have a SPYDER! What does it matter if the door opens or not?? Just put the top down and dive in!

Paul T

13T's, 550cc Injectors, K&N FIPK, DSM Sidemounts, Hotwired Walbro & AEM AFPR, Greddy TT and EBC;
"The Only Known Dr. Stupid 3in SS DP in Captivity!" w/Random Tech Cat and Borla Catback;
Tein S-Techs, Bilstein Struts, Carbotech Rotors/Pads and StopTech SS Brake Lines
tachyon_ftl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2011, 08:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Bob
'94 3000GT original owner

Drives: 1994 3000GT
Bob Level 2Bob Level 2Bob Level 2Bob Level 2Bob Level 2Bob Level 2
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Good info to track! I have the same issue with a dealer installed Mitsubishi alarm system. The problem comes and goes.

Bob
Member #0362 (Original 3S Forum)
'94 3000GT
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2011, 09:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Preserve a 3S

Drives: '95 RT/TT
Dave57 Level 1Dave57 Level 1Dave57 Level 1
Feedback Score: 38 reviews

Quote:
If you have a 3s that's doing this and the door still opens better fix it now....

Been a while on this one. Once you pull off the rods and play with it, it will open. At least your door panel is off. I remember having to rip off a panel... that sucks.... back then they were dime a dozen. I wish I'd saved all of them.

Post up on the repair (s)
Smokin corner box JL W3. 99 lights & fogs w/Hid's . Bridgestone RE050A skins. Member #846 6/01

99SL Black (Deb) The first actual 99 Digital Climate Control Conversion Oct. 04, 05, & 06 Quickening "Best Stock"
Dave57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2011, 11:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
JNS Engineering

Drives: 3000GT Spyder VR4
JimVR4 Level 1JimVR4 Level 1JimVR4 Level 1
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachyon_ftl View Post
Damm. My car started doing the passenger door lock/unlock just last Monday. I turn the key to unlock it, it unlocks then pops right back to locked even with the key turned. I can pull the door handle and open the door in the middle of it cycling, and the driver's side is fine.

I can lock it ok by pressing the button on the passenger door before I close the door. It's just the unlock. I was going to do a search but haven't yet.

Subscribed for more info. Jim, definitely looking forward to hearing more on this from you, your writeups are awesome!

Edit... hey... wait a minute... you have a SPYDER! What does it matter if the door opens or not?? Just put the top down and dive in!

Paul T
Hey Paul,
You better open up the door and pull your latch before its too late. The unlock can completely fail with the door closed and force you to cut through the interior door panel to spring the latch open

BTW - Still critical for a Spyder when the top fails too (like mine is right now )

The first post in this thread has the solution but you can read my experience in the Passenger Door Won't Open thread on the other site. I'm not doing any new writeups on this site.
JimVR4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2011, 11:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
'96 VR4

Drives: Surprisingly often
tachyon_ftl Level 1tachyon_ftl Level 1
Feedback Score: 36 reviews

Quote:
Hey Paul,
You better open up the door and pull your latch before its too late. The unlock can completely fail with the door closed and force you to cut through the interior door panel to spring the latch open

BTW - Still critical for a Spyder when the top fails too (like mine is right now )

The first post in this thread has the solution but you can read my experience in the Passenger Door Won't Open thread on the other site. I'm not doing any new writeups on this site.
Whoa. Thanks!! I will do that ASAP then.

I will head over to The Site that Shall not be Named and take a look at your comments... thanks for that, too. I don't get there too often, I waste enough time on just this one site. I shudder to think what would happen if I tried to keep up with two!

Glad you apparantly got yours fixed though. As for the top and door both failed at the same time... yeah, it's always those multiple failure modes that get you! I hope you get the top working again soon, too.

Paul T
tachyon_ftl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.